• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

New guy. Photography platform needed.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jprevj

Hello Group!

I made a few posts regarding availability of ultralight pusher type plans and got some great information quickly so I thought I would post here as a new member mentioning what I'm looking for and hopefully will get some more information.

I soloed too many years ago to remember, Cessna 152. Since then I haven't flown much but now a photography hobby has progressed into a desire for aerial photography and I want to build a small single seat ultralight from plans.

My construction background leaves me fairly well prepared to build but my absence of a flying background leaves me uninformed as to what plans are available.

What I would like to have in a ultralight:

Slower the better, to aid in framing a remote controlled camera cradle mounted on the planes nose and to reduce wind buffeting and vibration.

Docile flight characteristics, to also aid in being able to work the remote, frame the photo and not crash.

Proven design. Of course, who doesn't want this.

Safe design. Ditto. Know any one wanting to build a unsafe airplane?

Fast build. 750-1000 hours. I could go up for the right design.

Price. Under $10,000 ready to fly. I could go up (or down) for the right design.

Removable wings. I need to be able to trailer to an area.

Reliability. Design normally compatible engine type, 4 stroke. Before I ruffle some feathers I know there are very reliable 2 strokes on the market.

Any of these "desires" can be modified for the right plane. Any suggestions are welcomed as well as websites.

As a little more info on what I'm doing... I want to mount a remote controlled camera cradle on the front of the plane. Of course you can hand hold a camera but I think the cradle will give me better results. The entire cradle with camera will weight about 2-5 pounds. Possibly less. The cradle has pan and tilt capacity, easily operated from the cockpit. Remote viewing could be a problem as the bulk of viewers makes them tough to use in a ultralight. Still working on that problem.

Thanks in advance for any information!

Joe

I thought I would add some plans I've looked at. J1-B, Connie (amphib that I'm not sure ever went into production, yes a kit but very nice), Beaujon Viewmaster, Piuma, Volksplane (where do I mount the camera cradle), Beamcraft II (wasn't very impressed with detail of plans).

Last edited:
Back