Neat Idea for a fuel gauge!

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

N8053H

I think Piper solved the problem with a bent wire and a cork. Not many parts to break.

Dan
My Avenger has this style and I am making one for my other airplane. Simple and easy setup or install.

A friend told me to get a Belite gauge and use a fuel sending unit that mounts in the tank. Only problem I need to cut a hole in the top of the tank. The unit works off a 9 volt battery.

BELITE FUEL GAUGE WITH 2.25 INCH ROUND BEZEL from Aircraft Spruce

FALCON SENDERS from Aircraft Spruce

Tony

Aerowerx

Jus enough power to make a spark?
Automotive fuel gauges (not to mention a lot of aircraft) have used electricity for how many decades, now? How often do you hear of a tank exploding?

Like all of them, just keep the electrical connections out of the tank!

Furthermore, not every airplane has tanks visible from the pilot's seat.

bmcj

HBA Supporter
Automotive fuel gauges (not to mention a lot of aircraft) have used electricity for how many decades, now? How often do you hear of a tank exploding?

I knew I should have ended with a giggly face. :tired:

SVSUSteve

We're just busting your...uh...fuel senders. LOL What you're describing is a common sense approach and you know as well as we do that common sense and homebuilding- especially when the urge to "innovate" strikes- tend to not interact nearly as often as they should.

SVSUSteve

Which assumes you actually have a "cockpit"...
The lack of other options to put the fuel (along with the general lack of occupant protection, although I've always kicked around the challenge of a crashworthy ultralight as an eventual project) is a reason why I stopped flying ultralights along with the fact that if I wanted to go somewhere that slowly, I can just drive. The scenery is nicer flying but I've only gotten stuck somewhere twice while driving because of bad or less than ideal weather. Just puttering around the local area or doing touch and goes doesn't do much for me.

But back on the topic at hand, I think if you could figure out a way to eliminate the possibility of electrical arcing in the tank, this idea Aeroworx pointed out could be quite useful. The other question is how well would it stand up to prolonged immersion in a solvent like gasoline.

JamesG

To each their own.

You ought to know that "occupant protection" in aircraft is mostly wishful thinking...

This uses the equivalent of a low power USB connection. Zero chance of sparking.