My foam cutter

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

Pops

HBA Supporter
Log Member
I made a hot wire table, like a jig saw table but with a hot wire. Table about 18" square and an arm up the rear of the table and over the middle made from 1/8" music wire bent for the wire tension. Used it many years, think another modeler borrowed it and never returned it. C-clamped a fence where needed. I used it mostly when making foam core RC airplane fuselages.

When using the wing bow in cutting foam wings, I suspended the bow closely over the foam with #64 rubber bands hooked together . Made it easier without the weight of the bow when cutting. Patterns from 1/16"-1/8" aluminum ( old road sighs) with smooth edges and holes for large tooth picks to fasten pattern to foam and marked with numbers so each person can be at the same place on the pattern.

Last edited:

Aerowerx

Here is mine as described above. Plastic coffee can, dimmer, transformer, cord plug. Transformer from Radio Shack back when they were still around - can find them out there around $12.
A word of wisdom about radio shack transformers...

In my experience they should be derated by 50%. I have had some set themselves on fire when running at rated capacity.

In other words, your transformer marked "12.5v 2.5A" should not be used at more than 1.25A.

poormansairforce

I made a hot wire table, like a jig saw table but with a hot wire.
I did the same thing but made the arm swing out of the way so I could use the steel rails attached to the sides as a guide for a bow with seven wires so I could cut six 1/4" parts out of a single foam part cut out of 2" foam with a Formica template. The seven wire bow could also cut perfectly flat clean 1/4" thick sheets out of a 2" slab. I have a video somewhere....

billyvray

I did the same thing but made the arm swing out of the way so I could use the steel rails attached to the sides as a guide for a bow with seven wires so I could cut six 1/4" parts out of a single foam part cut out of 2" foam with a Formica template. The seven wire bow could also cut perfectly flat clean 1/4" thick sheets out of a 2" slab. I have a video somewhere....
I'd like to see that.

Don Hodges

I have a soldering iron stand that has an adjustable heat output to the soldering iron. Soldering iron plugs into the stand. I'm thinking it might work for a hot wire cutter as well as my soldering iron. Thoughts?

Aerowerx

I have a soldering iron stand that has an adjustable heat output to the soldering iron. Soldering iron plugs into the stand. I'm thinking it might work for a hot wire cutter as well as my soldering iron. Thoughts?
Some soldering irons have a sensor in the tip that sends feedback to the controller. And does it have enough power to heat the 2 ro 3 feet of nichrome wire?

Beyond that, the only thing I can say is to try it.

TFF

The old style Weller irons with the two prongs can be used to cut reliefs. Make a wire with the shape you want and plunge in.