My extraordinary plane build ...

Discussion in 'Member Project Logs' started by cheapracer, Apr 5, 2016.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Nov 24, 2019 #161

cheapracer

cheapracer

cheapracer

Some more lower stringers in today, as well as corner gussets ..

Lower stringers in.jpg

A Member was kind enough to suggest I run out and buy a cheap junk battery drill for de-burring, because they are weak and slow, ideal for the job ... and he was right, the drill bit is even heavier than the drill!

Thanks to that Member, and I'll get a better bit later for it, or cut the drill bit down.

Funny how you just get into a habit of doing things one way for decades, when there's better alternatives.

cheap drill for burrs.jpg

Dominic Eller, Aerowerx, bmcj and 3 others like this.
  2. Nov 25, 2019 #162

cheapracer

cheapracer

cheapracer

I had to do some revision today, not for the actual design, but to make the assembly process simpler and more accurate.

It actually ended up involving me going back home late morning dropping an offcut of aluminium sheet to the laser guy, designing new corner gussets, emailing the file to my laser guy, picking them up after lunch, removing the 8 old gussets, and installing the 8 new ones (bottom fuse sheet now, top also has 8, later).

I also tried a fuselage side to see if it would line up, happy it did, making changes to some gussets is ok, but I really didn't want to find an error in the large parts ...

rear fuse gussets 1.jpg
    rear fuse gussets 2.jpg
    rear fuse gussets 3.jpg

Some of you may have noticed I have no 'weight reduction' flanged holes in my stringers and gussets, very simply because there could be mistakes in this first build, and I'm not going to all that trouble then find I have to make the parts all over again. The weight difference is negligible for this first one for testing.

Later builds will have them, just explaining why this one doesn't if anyone was curious.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2019
  3. Nov 25, 2019 #163

cheapracer

cheapracer

cheapracer

This are my actual new gussets being cut today ...

I don't know why Youtube are making life hard for people.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2019
    Dominic Eller, jmt1991 and Aerowerx like this.
  4. Nov 26, 2019 #164

cheapracer

cheapracer

cheapracer

What looks like the same parts here, is actually the top fuse skin assembly, which in fairness is almost identical to the lower skin assembly above.

I started to, well wanted to install the vertical stringers, then realised this idiot got 8 new gussets cut yesterday, but I actually needed 16, 8 for the upper skin assembly as well, so another trip to the laser shop today. All good, 2 hours later back again with 8 more new gussets ..

Rear fuse roof 1.jpg

Rear fuse roof 5.jpg

The lovely rivet lines, thanks to CNC ..

Rear fuse roof 2.jpg

Rear fuse roof 3.jpg

Then I added some verticals ...

Rear fuse roof 4.jpg

I realised a few days ago that I had added the rivet holes into the verticals without checking the actual distance to the lower or upper skins, I was expecting to have to laser new verticals with adjustment to the hole's position up or down relative to the fuse side skins, or at least a couple of the verticals, I couldn't believe my eyes when all 4 vertical's rivet holes actually lined up with the side skins, just plain good luck, no skill involved!

Rear fuse roof 6.jpg

And while I was there, I video'd the laser again, just love it, it's mesmerising!

The bright orange flashes are when the laser hits the supporting steel stringers underneath, it has no effect on the cuts.

5. Nov 26, 2019 #165

cheapracer

cheapracer

cheapracer

For those who, just like I do, read build blogs to look for interesting ideas to put in the memory bank, here's my simple fuselage foundation.

4 sides, the upper and lower skins have 45 degree angles at the outer extremes, while the side skins have 90 degrees that meet the upper and lower skins further in to form 4 triangular tubes in each corner the length of the fuse.

Or you could curve the side skins to make he corners softer, but I have specific reasons why I wanted the 90 degree corners.

Initially I actually had filler gussets to form the triangular corners, then it struck me to eliminate them and just simplify it with the 45 degree folds in the upper and lower sheets.

IMG_20191126_155834_resized_20191126_094714944.jpg

IMG_20191126_155851_resized_20191126_094714497.jpg

My foundation of thought for the fuse originally started with ideas from the ICP Savannah and how it's constructed ....

ICP.jpg

Pops, Aerowerx, Vigilant1 and 7 others like this.
  6. Nov 27, 2019 #166

cheapracer

cheapracer

cheapracer

So today I added the rest of the vertical stringers, and introduced the top skin assembly to the lower skin assembly.

Tail 8.jpg

Tail 5.jpg

Then I introduced the side skins

Tail 7.jpg

Tail 4.jpg

I went to see if the tail cone was all ok, then horrified to realise I couldn't put it on as the cone overlap inside the fuselage was larger than the tapered finishing end of the fuse!

But was all ok, I managed to lift the corners of the side skins and slip it in, phew, I had in my head already started designing it!

Tail 3.jpg

Tail 2.jpg

Tail 1.jpg

Well not much I can do further with the tail end until my 2024 sheets arrive in the next few days for the HS spars.

But now the rear fuse has some form, I can get accurate measurements for the roll bar and look at creating the cabin area forward of the roll bar now. I already have a plan and basic design, I just wanted accurate proportions to work from.

I spent about 5 hours on this today, the pre-matched holes are just amazing in improving assembly speed, I even took a video!

VP1, Dominic Eller, fly2kads and 7 others like this.
  7. Nov 27, 2019 #167

cheapracer

cheapracer

cheapracer

Just an arty farty shot I took after all the rivets were pulled and t was getting dark by then.

arty farty.jpg

8. Nov 28, 2019 #168

cheapracer

cheapracer

cheapracer

Checked out the dorsal fin/VS today.

First the Fin...

VS 3.jpg

Then we'll need a VS.

Notice the rivet box lower right hand corner is near empty ..

VS 2.jpg

And stuck them together

It looks a bit wavy because I just ran out of rivets and only had a few to stick it together.

VS 1.jpg

Someone PM'd me and asked if I "could loan them $20 as they were desperate for a drink", oh wait, that was BJC's PM, there's another one, let's see, oh here it is:

"Are you going to have rounded leading edge on the VS?" Yes of course, but it will be fitted later on in the build.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2019
  9. Nov 30, 2019 #169

cheapracer

cheapracer

cheapracer

The VS looks lots better with a few more rivets in it..

VS 5.jpg

.. and better still sitting in it's proper place ...

VS 4.jpg

Dominic Eller, jmt1991, Pops and 4 others like this.
  10. Dec 3, 2019 #170

cheapracer

cheapracer

cheapracer

Today I grabbed 4 of my 6 meters lengths of 6061 square tube, and pre-drilled the holes in them to start on the front half of the fuse.

I had already lasered and folded a couple of 1 meter long drilling jigs, and away I went ...

tubes 1.jpg

tubes 2.jpg

.. yes, I deburred them all

tubes 3.jpg

As a few hours dragged on, I thought, what the heck is taking so long?

Then Then I grabbed a calculator: 6 meters divided by 35mm x 12 = 2057 holes!

Dang! That's what took so long!

My 70 ... oops, I mean my 2024 plates arrived today too ..

2024 arrived.jpg

11. Dec 4, 2019 #171

cheapracer

cheapracer

cheapracer

I sorted out the basic roll bar, which is also the front fuse to rear fuse joining frame.

Bit more to go yet, a cross-brace to take seatbelts ect, but had to determine how it fits.

No one is going to trip over their front wheel and end up a paraplegic in my plane.

Roll bar 2.jpg

Roll bar 1.jpg

And assembled all the HS ribs today as well.

HS ribs 1.jpg

Aerowerx, bifft, VP1 and 6 others like this.
  12. Dec 9, 2019 at 5:56 PM #172

cheapracer

cheapracer

cheapracer

I haven't gone quiet, I have been spending a number of hours sorting out the wings and some other details.

I did get a chance today to make up 4 gussets to aid in the connection of the front fuse to the rear fuse, it will all make sense later on ...

gusset.jpg

jmt1991, CutieDarkFae and Vigilant1 like this.
  13. Dec 11, 2019 at 1:37 PM #173

cheapracer

cheapracer

cheapracer

Starting on the front fuselage, cut some sides today and checked on bracing fitment.

Front fuse sides 3.jpg

I'm using titanium(IV) oxide as a sealant between surfaces because titanium is strong and light ...

Sometimes uneducated people call it "white paint".

Front fuse sides 4.jpg

Front fuse sides 1.jpg

Front fuse sides 2.jpg

and how the sides got to be ..