My extraordinary plane build ...

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

cheapracer

Log Member
Yay, after learning some (lots to go) and a bit of testing, my first actual real part made.

It's actually the rudder which I'm doing again, because I am very unsatisfied at the other one I did by hand with it not being dead smooth. It only takes a millimeter here and there, and it looks amateurish. The reason for CNC is the accuracy with considerable ease, that humans can rarely achieve.

Scribed.jpg

cheapracer

Log Member
I have quite a pile of aluminium scrap built up now as I rapidly learn the new CNC Router, almost 3 weeks now.

But pleased to say, my understanding for what I want it to do, though still not second nature, is getting pretty good, and today I finally achieved parts, the rudder in this case, to my standard of quality and precision.

It's almost dead flat on both surfaces and the rivets just fall into the perfectly matched holes.

So now to start moving forward again!

Rudder Final.jpg

cheapracer

Log Member
Rudder is on hopefully, maybe, possibly for the final time. I can clean up the design a little, but generally happy with how it worked out. It's a side hinge fitment as Sonex models are, and of course thousands of ailerons are, simple, cheap, and reliable.

You can see the rudder horn sticking out, and I probably should clean all my dirty hand prints off before i take pictures 😁

The rudder isn't an odd shape, it's sitting 30 degrees to the left here ..

Rudder on.jpg

I also redesigned the aileron balance arm gussets, nicer looking and stronger design, not that you'll see them under the eventual fiberglass caps ...

balance arm covers.jpg