My extraordinary plane build ...

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

cheapracer

Log Member
Sorting out the front fuse to rear fuse joint gussets .. this is the prototype of course, the final product will differ slightly in that the inner and outer sides will include the gussets as one piece rather than separate as here, and a bit more work to do in the top corner yet ..

Fuse Gussets.jpg

cheapracer

Log Member
Doesn't look like I did much over the weekend, because I didn't.

But today I did get in and mount the firewall properly and other areas up front, and up the rear I affixed the support gussets that can now accept the horizontal stab's front spar ..

today.jpg

cheapracer

Log Member
Things are a bit slow due to National Holidays and everything is shut solid for the last week, and most of this week as well. The Wuhan Virus isn't helping, got to swerve around all the bodies laying on the road, but if any of them get back up, I'm ready, years of training from watching "The Walking Dead", got my crossbow armed at all times.

But anyway, the last few days I got down to the factory and handmade the filler panels for the armrest flares.

Handmade because the laser and sheetmetal fold shops are closed, but here's the exciting bit, necessity forced me to experiment making a sheetmetal folder out of some scrap metal I had in the factory, and it worked brilliantly! I did the 4 folds in the picture below, well 8 for both sides.

It's rough as guts, held together with a few clamps and some rough welds, so when the local steel places open up again, I\ll get some decent angle iron and build myself a nice looking one with mods that I learnt, and I'll share the build here so you can make your own.

If the Virus doesn't kill me first that is, but even if it does, I'll keep working at it just as long as I can get brains to eat.

Filler 2.jpg

Filler 1.jpg

Last edited:

cheapracer

Log Member
Another informative, 'personally shared to my esteemed fellow Members' post, rather than a Youtube link.

...and this afternoon was the left side.

I also completely riveted both sides armrest flares on, and then decided i will later modify them slightly for better build accessibility, looks and aero improvement (without changing the foundation or elbow room), more on that later, but I have to do it because I only want to make the canopy once, and the changes to the flare will affect the canopy.

Filler 3.jpg

Filler 4.jpg

Next up, the Horizontal Stabiliser.

cheapracer

Log Member
This afternoon I started on the HS:

First the rear HS Spar was positioned properly, including the lower tail sheet, that allowed me to secure the inner ribs to the tail box;

HS on 2.jpg

Now that I had secured the HS Spars, I could take actual measurements to cut some HS sheets out. Note I folded the ends over to add just that touch of extra strength for next to no weight penalty. I'll trim them down a bit later.

HS on 1.jpg

I then sat a few ribs inbetween the Spars, and just sat the sheets on for the moment, hopefully tomorrow I'll make the underneath sheets and affix everything together.

HS on 5.jpg

HS on 6.jpg

Attachments

Last edited:

cheapracer

Log Member
Today's task was to get all 4 HS Skin holes drilled, and I mean drilled by hand as the laser place is still on holiday, in fact China has extended the official Spring Festival National Holidays by 10 days until the 9th of Feb, for the moment at least, because of the Wuhan Virus.

The laser over the last few years has made me a bit lazy, glad all my metal working skillz are still up to scratch.

Just a few loose rivets holding it together until I figure the D-box and the Elevator hinge.

hs skins on 1.jpg

hs skins on 3.jpg

hs skins on 2.jpg

cheapracer

Log Member
In case you're wondering why no updates, it's because of the Wuhan Virus, China is completely shutdown, and that has just been extended another 8 days.

I simply can't buy some simple supplies even to make some parts by hand, darn it.

cheapracer

Log Member
Every household has just been told to stay indoors, only 1 resident from each household can leave 1 time every 2 days to buy supplies. If you have to go to work, you need a letter from your company to leave you housing compound.

Essential Gov services are one person per office, one day per week for each relevant employee.

There's over 40,000 cases, and over a 1000 dead now (we know here that there are people unaccounted for), worst of all, WHO are reporting cases of people infected in other countries who have not been anywhere near China, Chinese or infected people, which would suggest air-borne.

I seriously suggest you all start taking 500mgs Vitamin C and a teaspoon of propolis honey each day to strengthen your respiratory immune systems. I know you're a long way away, but the way this is going ... and it's already there.

Hoping for Australia to find a vaccine sooner than later, the world leaders in vaccine development thanks to all Oz things that can kill you (see below).

And yes, I know all about the "the common flu kills more people" stories in your news belittling this outbreak, please, don't be ignorant, this isn't the same thing.

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2020/02/900-dead-china-coronavirus-outbreak-200209233734869.html

cheapracer

Log Member
Well China just closed for business.

For the next 2 weeks, everyone must shut shop unless a medical or essential foods supplier, and it's by Law. The last 10 days was an extension on the Spring Festival National Holiday, but now if you open you will be closed and charged ..

In the meantime, I successfully ordered some stuff similar as you would by Amazon, should be here tomorrow so I can et going again.

But today I went down for a few hours and hand made the aero fairing for the vertical stabiliser. I have had questions asking me if I was going to actually leave the front of the VS flat, no, it's just a simple CAD and I would rather spend my time on the build than drawing fancy 3D Models.

.. and no, it's not finished at the bottom yet, no flat face, and certainly no gaping hole either ...

aero 1.jpg

cheapracer

Log Member
I was delighted that some piano hinge got through to me that allowed me to make a start on the Rudder and after that, the HS Elevators.

But the laser and sheetmetal shops are closed of course, so I am having to slum it and cut, drill and fold with my hands, MY HANDS! just like a Peasant, oh the humility, I'm glad my Grand-Mother isn't around to see how low I have fallen ...

Rudder 3.jpg

Rudder 2.jpg

Loosely mounted with a couple of rivets, tomorrow some ribs for it and the lower ventral fin ...........

Rudder 1.jpg

..MY HANDS!!!

cheapracer

Log Member
Bob the Plane gets a bum steer ...

Never thought about it before, but a rudder is a "bum steer", literally!

My laser and sheetmetal fold shop are still closed at the moment, won't be open for another week apparently, so still bringing out the old skills and making my rudder by hand.

So time for ribs. No, not the ones you eat, though I am feeling hungry now thinking about them....

Anyway, drew up and drilled a master pattern

Rudder 4.jpg

cut out 7 more

Rudder 6.jpg

clamped them together and match drilled them with my drill jig as one.

Rudder 5.jpg

Stuck them in my temp folder

Rudder 7.jpg

and they turned out fine after a bit of persuasion here and there.

Rudder 8.jpg

Riveted them into the rudder,

Rudder 9.jpg

and all seems fine,

Rudder 10.jpg

but I admit I don't much like it very much after being so used to the precision now with using cnc laser, so will be happy to get back to that shortly.

Group Builder