My extraordinary plane build ...

Discussion in 'Member Project Logs' started by cheapracer, Apr 5, 2016.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Aug 22, 2017 #141

cheapracer

cheapracer

cheapracer

Anywayz, this strange looking creature is the joining strip for the 2 flat wraps, and here is the canopy style I am hoping to replicate ..

inspire.jpg

flat wrap joint.jpg

Aerowerx, Joe Fisher, delta and 6 others like this.
  2. Aug 22, 2017 #142

cheapracer

cheapracer

cheapracer

Dubble Trubble Post.

So here's a joke ...

I'm been sitting here typing for too long and my feet have gone to sleep, I think they are coma-toes ....

3. Aug 26, 2017 #143

cheapracer

cheapracer

cheapracer

This flat wrap is proving to be a headache and a half to join the 2 pieces together.

After a few different iterations, I am now trying for 2 long one piece joiners (one either side of the perspex) with pre matched holes in both the metal and perspex. The joiners must be bent at 45 degrees one end but flat at the other (initially a headache but now resolved), and other design oddities to suit the exponential curve, and of course the inner joiner must line up it's rivet holes while negotiating a smaller radius. However, that radius is exponential and is only for segments 3, 4 and 5, of 6 segments, as segments 1, 2 and 6 are straight.

All worth it if I can get a good looking flat wrap though, and all this work only has to be done once thanks to computers.

There is a local shop that does laser for the perspex, amazing perfect 4mm holes, oddly the protective paper barely gets touched and the plug is still there.

Anyone who has ever scratched or broken perspex can understand why I am taking it out of the hands of newbie builders.

4. Sep 1, 2017 #144

cheapracer

cheapracer

cheapracer

If you think I've been quiet for a bit, well you would be wrong.

Have been working 18 hour days for a few weeks on future infrastructure, I am mentally exhausted, but here is just one of the results gained ...

U Factory New.jpg

There's a few adjoining facilities too with the occasional bit of gear ..

U Factory New 2.jpg

5. Sep 8, 2017 #145

cheapracer

cheapracer

cheapracer

For those interested, still chipping away at infrastructure and a few other business foundation issues which is keeing me away from the build at the moment.

However, and for what it's worth, the wings for the upcoming high wing model are now sorted out, so with everything else mostly in place now, resources, materials, tooling etc, after the low wing is finally done the high wing will happen very rapidly after it.

6. Feb 17, 2018 #146

cheapracer

cheapracer

cheapracer

Thanks for some of the private inquiries about my well being and the build.

The reality is in the later 2017, first my father in law died, then my mother died, quite a blow with many trips back and forward to Australia. A Partner investor I had lined up to enter production with lost a bundle in a failed construction project, an electric car distributorship business opportunity came along that has taken off and kept me busy, and that is now generating money that I can use to apply into the plane project's completion. There are other minor factors that came into play that have been sorted out.

All that is coming after the Spring break here.

I have always been self financed in business for the last 30+ years and when money making chances come along like this electric car business, I must take them up.

Happy Chinese New Year!

nerobro, bmcj, Pops and 8 others like this.
  7. Oct 10, 2019 #147

cheapracer

cheapracer

cheapracer

Wow, how time flies.

Thansk for PMs about my health and whereabouts, getting straight to the point, I will be back on the plane project shortly.

You haven't seen me around due to a succession of serious health issues, and a string of bad luck. I have been in hospital more times over the last 18 months than my entire life previously

If you want that in a nutshell, hurt my back July 2018, and just got sick, doctors couldn't find why ... until my mild, non-damaging stroke .... open heart surgery in January, 3 months ago slipped off a boat, body slammed down onto a concrete landing step onto my left rib cage/heart and off to hospital (thankfully I had a lifejacket on and only nearly killed myself), and 7 weeks ago had another major operation below my tailbone to have an abscess removed, 100mm long cut, 50mm deep, open wound recovery. 3 weeks ago I stepped on moss in the rain and went azz over spraining my foot badly and apparently hurting my shoulder.

So besides still not being able to breath properly, sternum in pain daily, can't walk, can't sit down and can't lift my left arm, not that I can lift anything over 15 kgs at the moment anyway, and can't sleep, I FEEL JUST GREAT, sigh.

Anyway, 30 year guarantee on the heart now, about 90% fully recovered though I can't lift heavy things for about a year due to the sternum bone cut and wired together, but i'll get there.

So looking forward to sorting out a few avenues towards completion.

Here's my autopsy scar ...

cut.jpg

8. Oct 25, 2019 #148

cheapracer

cheapracer

cheapracer

and re-start first steps taken ...

6061 sheets.jpg

CutieDarkFae, FritzW, Wayne and 3 others like this.
  9. Nov 6, 2019 #149

cheapracer

cheapracer

cheapracer

Aluminium arrives tomorrow, like a Kid at Xmas, Yay!

Sadly they only had 1250 x 2500 sheets, I usually lay everything out on standard 1220 x 2440 (8' X 4') sheets, so I will have to suffer a little waste as I'm not going to renest everything again.

You would be surprised what a difference 60mm longer and 30mm (2.4" X 1.2") wider makes to nesting, spreading parts over 30 or so sheets. That also goes for the actual design, you can't make a part that won't fit onto a sheet, or cut up into at least the minimal part sub lots.

10. Nov 8, 2019 #150

cheapracer

cheapracer

cheapracer

Yay, sheets just arrived.

..and of course first thing is to cut a strip and send it of for testing to confirm what it really is.

I did some very simple tests though, yeild, curvature and spring back against previously tested and confirmed 6061T6, and good news that those were identical, but I'll let the Lab decide that.

sheets arrived.jpg

AdrianS, delta, jmt1991 and 1 other person like this.
  11. Nov 12, 2019 at 1:31 PM #151

cheapracer

cheapracer

cheapracer

The complete rear fuse, now a few days more to translate it all into 2D CNC files (.dwg or .dfx doesn't matter) and start cutting some sheets later in the week ...

rear fuse bits.jpg

Last edited: Nov 12, 2019 at 1:37 PM
    Fred in Wisc, jmt1991 and Vigilant1 like this.
  12. Nov 13, 2019 at 8:03 AM #152

cheapracer

cheapracer

cheapracer

And we'll need a Dorsal Fin and VS as well, which nicely fits onto a sheet ...

VS layout.jpg

CutieDarkFae likes this.
  13. Nov 13, 2019 at 1:44 PM #153

cheapracer

cheapracer

cheapracer

And we'll need a HS and spars too ..

I won't draw the skins up until I laser and fold the spars, and assemble with the ribs to get accurate measurements.

HS Layout.jpg

CutieDarkFae, proppastie and jmt1991 like this.
  14. Nov 16, 2019 at 3:36 PM #154

cheapracer

cheapracer

cheapracer

Man, been putting some hours in, seen sunrise a couple of times.

I nested the entire Rear Fuse, HS and VS, then I virtually built the entire assembly again in the software to find the small fitting issues, and there were some, mostly rivet holes not lining up, couple of part sizes not change or moved (or not) at some stages.. And when I say build, starting with flat sheets as if they had just been cut. I folded and fitted them all together piece by piece then modified them if required, transposed to flat sheet, fold again and repeat.

There's also the one that used to catch me out a few times years back, and that's creating stuff in 3D as flat material not allowing for the thickness of the material in the real world, and over a few parts, that error can build up quite quickly.

So now tonight I celebrate my first sheet of 6 for the in .DXF file ready to go to the laser and fold shop early next week. I tried hard to fit everything onto 5 sheets, but just couldn't, dang narn it!

rear fuse nest s.jpg rear fuse nest DXF s.jpg

Mad MAC, delta and Vigilant1 like this.
  15. Nov 16, 2019 at 3:38 PM #155

cheapracer

cheapracer

cheapracer

Oh, and have a name for the plane at the moment.

It was a tough one, but I took in the considerations of my Sino -Australia relationship and America being the key market, the plane type, specs, mission suitable for ect and eventually I came up with the perfect fit ...

.... "Bob".

delta, mcrae0104 and AdrianS like this.