MoTec

Discussion in 'Mazda Rotary' started by TXFlyGuy, Oct 27, 2017.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Oct 27, 2017 #1

TXFlyGuy

TXFlyGuy

TXFlyGuy

After reading, and talking to a local MoTec dealer, we are going to make the switch to this brand.

It has been stated on this forum that they are hands down the best available. And our dealer is an expert at programming. He has worked with a number of racers at Reno, and was scheduled to work with the P-51 Galloping Ghost before they had their accident.

Like the dealer told me, it does cost a bit more, but it is cheap insurance.

2. Oct 27, 2017 #2

Voidhawk9

Voidhawk9

Voidhawk9

Well-Known Member HBA Supporter

What are you running presently on the dyno? The Link? Has it given some problems?

3. Oct 27, 2017 #3

TXFlyGuy

TXFlyGuy

TXFlyGuy

The Link is fine. Problems are with the wiring harness. We will just upgrade everything after we get the Mustang down here in Texas. The Link G4+ Xtreme will be sold, either back to Titan, or to another builder.

4. Oct 30, 2017 #4

TXFlyGuy

TXFlyGuy

TXFlyGuy

Well, so much for this thread. The hope was that some of the ECU "experts" would volunteer an opinion.

No surprise here.

5. Oct 31, 2017 #5

BoKu

BoKu

BoKu

Well-Known Member HBA Supporter

I don't presume to speak for the "experts" on this forum. But I think that if you want opinions, you're best off just straight-up asking for them.

--Bob K.

6. Oct 31, 2017 #6

Toobuilder

Toobuilder

Toobuilder

Considering your well established history of "asking" for opinion and then arguing with those who take the time to respond, then ultimately defaulting to your pre-selected answer...

No surprise indeed.

Rockiedog2 and rv6ejguy like this.
  7. Oct 31, 2017 #7

don january

don january

don january

It appears in your post TXFlyGuy that you have already made your choice to run the Motec unit and I hope it stands up to your expectation and keeps your engine running smooth. I've read good things about the ECU but like experimental aircraft you'll know the truth upstairs or at the very least before you leave the ground

8. Oct 31, 2017 #8

TXFlyGuy

TXFlyGuy

TXFlyGuy

The "pre-selected" answers you refer to normally come from Titan, the real experts. I always solicit input on many items like this. Just like you, and others do. In the end, we are each responsible for the decisions made. As stated before, the input is appreciated, even from you. Always.

Arguing? Please show me where I got into an argument. Discussing a difference in opinion? That is what this forum is all about. And that is what makes it valuable. To most of us, anyway. The others simply choose to ignore the posts, in childish spite. We all know who they are.

With regards to MoTeC, let me paraphrase Ross Farnham, the forum's own appointed expert on this, and all things electronic..."The best money can buy."

Oh...I knew someone would like your post! Ask me why.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2017
  9. Oct 31, 2017 #9

TXFlyGuy

TXFlyGuy

TXFlyGuy

Yes, the decision has been made, but only 90%. There is a chance that we could still run the Link, but that chance is fading fast.

10. Oct 31, 2017 #10

TXFlyGuy

TXFlyGuy

TXFlyGuy

While opinions are officially solicited, first hand experience would be better. With either Link, or MoTeC.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2017
  11. Oct 31, 2017 #11

Winginit

Winginit

Winginit

12. Oct 31, 2017 #12

TXFlyGuy

TXFlyGuy

TXFlyGuy

Funny! Darn thing sounds like a lawn mower.

13. Nov 1, 2017 #13

Winginit

Winginit

Winginit

From looking around on the internet they seem to be a very professionally done system and well liked by many different venues from motorcycles to offroad racing with good reliability. Thats a big plus because they are interested in expanding their market and are building units that are usable on virtually any engine. The features that let you record what the engine is doing and log it for later recovery should prove beneficial in both initial tuning and identifying any abnormalities that might arise with the engine during everyday use. The ECU is impressive and looks comparable to OEM designs rather than some of the units available elsewhere. I think you would be well served to have your specific harness built by someone who regularly does that rather than having someone inexperienced try to build one. You could moch it up with common wires and attach labels(see this months Kitplanes). Then send the moch-up to someone and have them build the actual harness. They have the right tools and connectors to do it properly.

14. Nov 1, 2017 #14

TXFlyGuy

TXFlyGuy

TXFlyGuy

You left out Ross Farnham (Mr. SDS). He has sung the praises of MoTeC, and if Ross likes it, we like it! The dealer we are working with is an expert in aviation applications. Fischer Motorsports thinks they can use our existing harness, and just upgrade the components to mil-spec.

The price is steep. I will fly some overtime just to afford it. But like Shawn (the dealer) said, it is cheap insurance.

Most Thunder Mustangs have dual MoTeC installations. We will go single. Again, Ross Farnham indicated that a good single ECU installation is all you really need.

15. Nov 1, 2017 #15

jac

jac

jac

IIRC the Thunder had dual Motec, this allowed the V12 to be run on either left or right bank as a inline 6 for 'get home safe' purpose. Your V8 cannot run smoothly on one bank as a inline 4 due to the firing order, could be done by connecting cyls to intake manifolds in necessary sequence, but complex to arrange. All of above assumes the failure is a type that still allows engine to run!

16. Nov 1, 2017 #16

Winginit

Winginit

Winginit

I wouldn't get too caught up in the term "Mil-Spec" .....it simply means that it meats a minimum requirement for Military use, although those standards are usually quite sufficient for most conditions. The Weatherseal connectors used on most automotive setups are quite robust. I don't know if they comply with or meet Mil-Spec requirements or not. Here is the thing, anyone building or supplying a harness for todays engine control units realizes that they must start with high quality wire and components. Often getting the proper connectors can be a time consuming task and someone modifying a harness might just buy a generic connector/plug from a Radio Shack etc. The automotive connectors require some special tools to crimp them and connect them properly. Just be sure that whoever is doing the modification is equipped and experienced at doing the work with the proper connectors. I can't emphasize enough how important it is to use good stuff. The connectors going to existing sensors and intermediate wiring connections should all be the same. On the other end of the wires where it hooks to the computer is where the changes probably need to be made. That could be as simple as just removing wires and relocating them in the Motec ECU connector. Since you have data logging, there might be some additional wires that are needed.

That sounds pretty neat.

Clarification Note: Be aware that the term Mil-Spec can apply to the quality of something as simple as a common ring terminal on the end of a wire. While the ring terminal itself may be made to a Mil-Spec standard, that doesn't make it the proper connector for some terminals. Thats the point I was trying to make about generalizing the term Mil Spec.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2017
  17. Nov 1, 2017 #17

TXFlyGuy

TXFlyGuy

TXFlyGuy

Yes, you are correct. ECU and engine failure does not concern us very much. More of a concern is keeping the essential bus powered. We have a dual battery, dual bus electrical system. It has auto switching to keep the essential bus powered at all times. Just like a Boeing 777!

18. Nov 2, 2017 #18

pictsidhe

pictsidhe

pictsidhe

If your bus is comnected to a battery and an alternator, sudden failure is extremely unlikely, as long as you have a 'not charging' light. Range with a dead alternator can be determined fairly easily.

19. Nov 2, 2017 #19

pictsidhe

pictsidhe

pictsidhe

Good wiring takes a lot more skill and knowledge than most people realise. Cars are done pretty well these days, unlike stuff from the 70s and earlier. Anyone else heard of Joe Lucas, Prince of Darkness? Don't emulate wiring like that...

20. Nov 2, 2017 #20

Topaz

Topaz

Topaz

Super Moderator Staff Member

I've owned a 1978 Triumph TR-7 since 1982, so yes, I have a passing familiarity with that particular demon. :roll:

dsigned likes this.