Quantcast

MoTec

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Jaws

After reading, and talking to a local MoTec dealer, we are going to make the switch to this brand.

It has been stated on this forum that they are hands down the best available. And our dealer is an expert at programming. He has worked with a number of racers at Reno, and was scheduled to work with the P-51 Galloping Ghost before they had their accident.

Like the dealer told me, it does cost a bit more, but it is cheap insurance.
I'm the new guy I'm sure you heard this before. is anyone using dual over the counter ECU? how are they installed? re you using sharing sensors o
After reading, and talking to a local MoTec dealer, we are going to make the switch to this brand.

It has been stated on this forum that they are hands down the best available. And our dealer is an expert at programming. He has worked with a number of racers at Reno, and was scheduled to work with the P-51 Galloping Ghost before they had their accident.

Jaws

I'm a new guy here. I'm interested in a dual ECU on P-port 13b. is anyone running one? Are using dual sensors or sharing sensors, firing one ignitor per ECU at the same time and one injector per rotor with sperate ECU? Tracy's ECU's are not available. Just asking questions?

rv7charlie

I'm a new guy here. I'm interested in a dual ECU on P-port 13b. is anyone running one? Are using dual sensors or sharing sensors, firing one ignitor per ECU at the same time and one injector per rotor with sperate ECU? Tracy's ECU's are not available. Just asking questions?
If you're serious about flying a rotary, I'd strongly suggest subscribing to the Flyrotary list; that's where you'll find most of the rotary guys who are actually flying (at least the ones that bother with being present on the interwebs :) ).

Controllers: Tracy's controllers for a/c have dual redundant controllers, with relay switching for the injectors and ignition coils. The only common sensor is the crank angle sensor, which is somewhat difficult to duplicate on a rotary without some fairly serious machine work. No convenient way to add a 2nd CAS to Tracy's controller, but it could be done. Would require both hardware and software mods to the controller.

Individual, isolated control of rotors is a very bad idea, for a couple of reasons. The 13B/Renesis is a 2-per-rev engine, like a 4 stroke 4 cylinder, but unlike a piston engine, there's no torque reversal between power strokes due to the long duration (relative to crank rotation) of the power stroke. But if you lose one rotor, you get torque reversal and the engine dynamic balance goes really wonky (redneck layman's terms) and can get destructive quick. Anecdotal evidence: one builder/flier flew an ERacer (canard pusher) for years and hundreds of hours using a Mazda 4 speed transmission in 2nd gear, and it was very successful. But one day he fired it up, and for some reason only one rotor was firing (I've forgotten what he used for fuel/spark; might have been the stock distributor & a carb). It destroyed the transmission while running at idle power. The other reason to avoid the idea is that even without the destruction possibilities, you've lost over 1/2 the power of the engine; not just a bit over 1/4 of the power you'd lose in a 4 cyl engine. In many airframes, you may not have enough left to sustain flight even if everything stays in one piece.

Dual redundant controllers could be done using Mega/Micro-Squirt hardware; it would just require a relay board to do the injector/coil switching, and a bit of monkey-motion to add in-flight mixture control.

Charlie
Renesis FWF in progress on an RV-7

Neil Unger

Jaws,
Motec is a top of line ECU but very complicated and heavy on the bank account. If still looking try fueltech or SDS who does now make one for the rotary. Reduction drives Look at Rotarpower. Many choices, your decision.

rv7charlie

I've heard rumors that SDS was in discussions with someone to make a rotary controller, but the SDS website still shows 'fuel only' for rotaries.

Another potential option for dyi is
https://speeduino.com/wiki/index.php/Speeduino

A well respected former controller mfgr is looking at it with interest as a next gen rotary controller.

Charlie

Last edited:

AIRCAB

Rv7charlie, I was under the impression, from reading Ross Farnham posts from the last 10 years , we was anti rotary.

Steve

rv7charlie

Rv7charlie, I was under the impression, from reading Ross Farnham posts from the last 10 years , we was anti rotary.

Steve
Historically, that's been my impression as well. But he reads this forum, so if he now has a different opinion, he'll likely speak up.

Charlie

slociviccoupe

Not rotary related but also considering motec on subaru conversion. They have really nice display, Exceptional ecu's and even new pdm's. Its s total package.
How did your install go? I have used their ecu in automotive and in marine/pwc .

TXFlyGuy

Not rotary related but also considering motec on subaru conversion. They have really nice display, Exceptional ecu's and even new pdm's. Its s total package.
How did your install go? I have used their ecu in automotive and in marine/pwc .
The install has gone extremely well. The programming was all done on a dyno. And now we will fine tune the ECU programming with the propeller installed, with taxi tests and inflight data logging.

Hutter Performance wants to ensure equal balance between all cylinders. We should have the best tuned T-51 / LS3 flying.

slociviccoupe

Im looking forward to all the data that can be logged and acquired. You already know its capabilities. What ecu did you go with, did you use a pdm. Using the motec or other name dash? Utilizing the can bus any? And mind sharing any of the wiring that fits the bill of being air worthy.

I think in my harness instead of teftzel ill be using sumitomo wire. I like its flexibility and strand count over the teftzel. But the insulation isnt as hard as the teftzel so will have to be done in raychem or in the nylon mesh to protect it some.