Quantcast

Mooney (MX-18) Mite Plans....worth??

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Derswede

This from the Macky site:

I was able to learn from the Mooney Mite Site that 283 Mites had been built and of these, the last model built, the C-55, had a larger cockpit and canopy. Only 35 of these were produced. I decided after sitting in a C-55 cockpit, that this was what I wanted. It was much more comfortable than the earlier models however, finding a C-55 looked like it would be nearly impossible.

Reactions: BJC

Derswede

Found this and a footnote on the M19 Military Mite! Hmmm..paintballl guns and some Estes model rockets would make an interesting experience...paint it up like a Spitfire and go have fun!

Article notes:
"As long as you are shopping for a Mite, you should know that the fifty airplanes built in Kerrville had a different cockpit set-up. They lengthened, widened and deepened the cockpit, becoming much more comfortable for bigger pilots. Actually a big pilot probably couldn't get into the usual Mite cockpit without coating himself with two layers of peanut oil.

There is also one other version of the airplane that really tickles the imagination. A single M-19 was built, which was the Mite with a C-90 engine, bigger cockpit and (get this) a .30 caliber machine gun under each wing. No, it wasn't for Texas ranchers to go chasing coyotes or rustlers . . . this was yet another of the COIN fighter concepts that never caught on."

Show up at Oshkosh and park in the WarBirds section! That would cause a stir.

Derswede

Hephaestus

I know NASM has their archives... But curious - anyone run across a full set of mite plans digitally for reference?

Last edited: