Mooney (MX-18) Mite Plans....worth??

Discussion in 'Classics' started by badger, May 12, 2008.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. May 3, 2019 #61

simflyer

simflyer

simflyer

Are You stil have Mite plans ?

2. May 3, 2019 #62

simflyer

simflyer

simflyer

3. May 4, 2019 #63

Woodenwings

Woodenwings

Woodenwings

I have a set of original paper plans. For sale if anyone is interested. They are in good condition.

Shane

4. May 5, 2019 #64

Viper22

Viper22

Viper22

Woodenwings, What is included in your set? How many pages of plans? Is there a build manual there? Let me know - Thanks.

5. May 5, 2019 #65

Woodenwings

Woodenwings

Woodenwings

Two big tubes of drawings. I have gone over them very carefully and made an excel spreadsheet recording all drawing numbers and descriptions. 324 drawings. All but one have seen little to no sunlight. One GA drawing is a little brittle and has gone a little lighter. This drawing is not very useful...merely a general arrangement. I bought the plans and then had two kiddies. The wife is ok with a project with more seats! So....I have a rare set of production quality plans for sale. They are much better in detail and engineering quality than many kit planes. They are production drawings that have been rebranded for home builders. The drawings are very cool. I have enjoyed pouring over them. One drawing even shows how to make a nav. map pocket with door! I have a DH98 fuel tank...these drawings feel like history like my wooden fuel tank!

6. May 7, 2019 #66

simflyer

simflyer

simflyer

Woodenwings, do You think about selling Mite plans (if so for what price?), or sharing them scanned or photographed ? Am oversea and like to have some copy of plans in my archive as Mite is very nice plane, inspirative for building.

I DON'T WHY, BUT LINK ON MITE WEB IS NOT WORKING :-( DID ANYBODY DOWNLOADED PLANS ?

Are You building any wooden plane ?

What wooden fuel tank You have ? Mosquito had wooden fuel tank ?

7. May 7, 2019 #67

kent Ashton

kent Ashton

kent Ashton

8. May 7, 2019 #68

BJC

BJC

BJC

Another factor may be that the cockpit size of the Mooney Mite is too small for people today.

BJC

9. May 7, 2019 #69

Tiger Tim

Tiger Tim

Tiger Tim

It would be neat if somebody made a bigger one, like maybe a four-seater or something...

BJC likes this.
  10. May 7, 2019 #70

Woodenwings

Woodenwings

Woodenwings

The mite is a good little plane that is not as complex to build as people think. I feel strongly that the design is more complete than most homebuilts except for a falco or a skyote. Because the drawings look detailed it may look intimidating to some. Im' a mechanical designer by trade...and I find that there are no gaps in information requiring the builder to guess. Guessing is bad! The fuselage is complex but well explained. The wing and landing gear are very clear and simply defined. The cockpit is roomy enough. A mooney is fast a hippo is slow...they have different shapes! The dh98 tank is self-sealing aluminium 100 Imp Gallon with wooden shell. Another great little wooden kite is the Chilton. Also well designed and drawn. If anyone really wants my set of plans on me and we can discuss. Otherwise I will just enjoy them longer! They are enjoyable to parooze.

11. May 8, 2019 #71

Viper22

Viper22

Viper22

Woodenwings, How do I reach you offline?

12. May 8, 2019 #72

mcrae0104

mcrae0104

mcrae0104

Armchair Mafia Conspirator HBA Supporter

Some random clicking over there led me to learn that the Mite was a speed record holder, only to be broken by John Sharp's Nemesis.

https://web.archive.org/web/20050228001610/http://mooneymite.com/articles/mitespeedrecord.htm

13. May 8, 2019 #73

BJC

BJC

BJC

14. May 9, 2019 #74

simflyer

simflyer

simflyer

15. May 9, 2019 #75

Woodenwings

Woodenwings

Woodenwings

The mite site was taken offline just over a year ago because the chap running it had health problems I believe. He gave all members lots of warning before taking it down. He did a good job and it was a good website. Dated in appearance but good all the same.

The plans are a bit rare and as a result fetch a price that reflects their rarity.

New LSA rules would apply to the mite if it has non-retractible undercarriage. If anyone wanted to go that route ... it would be much more popular. That being said...the gear design on the mite is the precursor for the mooney M20. The undercarriage is one of the coolest parts of the mite. The mite also has other cool features you would expect on larger aircraft. Mechanical gear position warning system Etc.

A composite cowl and a wankel would be very attractive. A Hirth engine would look good. Even a verner radial! The firewall forward would be easy to customize. As it is....its fast and needs no improvement. I might opt for an open cockpit.

16. May 23, 2019 #76

simflyer

simflyer

simflyer

I think that price could reflect if original plans are sold, but for saving them as studying materials, should be available in photos.

17. May 29, 2019 #77

skier

skier

skier

I still think an M-18XD LSA (take the homebuilt M-18X and give it the undercarriage of an M-20D) would be a pretty cool aircraft. My personal preference would be to convert it to sheet metal construction as well.

18. May 30, 2019 #78

TFF

TFF

TFF

The M20D had the same gear of the other M 20s. just locked. I think I have only heard of one D not converted to C specs as of today. A newer gear would be nice, at least for the wings. If I was up for a Falco, I would consider fixed gear just to simplify the build. Probably taildragger. Sheet metal yuck. Dime a dozen.