Moni Motorglider

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Angusnofangus

Hello and Happy Valentine’s Day!

1) Doable as described above
2) Not doable due to stresses and would need a total re-engineering of the spar
3) Or, a joggle is no big deal to create and just stick to the original design.

Cheers!
A joggle is real easy, not to mention it is as per drawings. To put a doubler on the inboard section would mean lots of field rivets and who knows what the structural ramifications are of doing so. I say stick to the drawing.

proppastie

Log Member
inter-rivet buckling is an issue.....spacing gets smaller depending on the stress....AC 43-13-1b has specifications for sheet splices, which might be useful......you really need to know what you are doing here...... might want to stick to the plans.

TFF

It’s not something you can guess at, although one thickness with doubler or tripler is seems more normal. I don’t like the idea of a joggle as it seems it’s a stress riser for that type of application

Zeusons

Hello and Happy Valentine’s Day!

As I’ve been going through my Moni stuff in preparation to begin building, I came across the spar design for the Aerosviluppi AS-10 motor glider. The AS-10 was the Italian version of the Moni and since they couldn’t get Monnett’s I-beam extrusion, they designed a standard built-up aluminum spar with sheet aluminum web and .125” angle for the caps. All aluminum is 2024-T3. The dimensions are the same for the Moni spar for spar depth and length/span so it could be a drop-in replacement (all fuselage attachments are the same).

One thing they did for the web was to use two different thicknesses of material and joined them with a riveted joggle. The inboard section was .063 mating to a .040 outer web. This is where my question comes in: It would be easier (maybe??) to construct the web if the web were .040 from the inboard end of the spar to the tip and then put a doubler to reinforce the portion of the inboard section that was originally thicker. If one were to put a .040 or .032 (or thicker) doubler on top of the .040 web it would have a total thickness greater than the original .063 inboard web. Is this:

1) Doable as described above
2) Not doable due to stresses and would need a total re-engineering of the spar
3) Or, a joggle is no big deal to create and just stick to the original design.

FWIW, I haven’t been able to find the original designer to ask him this question. The spar as designed was rated at +6/-3 G’s at 255kgs.

The reason I rehash this question is because I’m having reservations (again!) about cutting the original Monnett spar that can’t be replaced if I mess something up.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for putting up with my questions!

Cheers!
Are there any plans available for the built up spars?

Victor Bravo

HBA Supporter
A vertical joggle could possibly create a localized stress riser at one spanwise location. This may or may not be a problem, if it is located at the position of an existing rib. That is a job for an engineer to determine.

HOWEVER, most all of the doublers and reinforcements on spar webs that I have ever seen spread the loads out over some distance spanwise, with a tapering shape, to create a gradual change in the structural cross section. Since this is more effort than a straight joggle, there has to be some reason they do it.

Last edited:

wwz7777

HBA Supporter
Hello all,
Here are two PDF's that show the Aerosviluppi AS-10 spar design. They are in Italian, with some English translations. The first one, the spar in "pages" format, gives a good overview of the design. This file came from Don Black who was the Aerosviluppi rep in the US. Pages 1-5 show some of the details while pages 6-10 are the spar but made up of copies of the main print. The second PDF, the "complete drawing," are pages 6-10 taped together to give the complete spar design in a single page. The joggle in the web is at 1178mm from the centerline and is between two wing ribs. Let me know if this helps.

Attachments