Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Dec 21, 2017 #41

BJC

BJC

BJC

Pops:

You ever work at Georgia Power plant Harllee Branch or plant Yates?

Florida Power Corp Bartow plant or Crystal River?

BJC

2. Dec 21, 2017 #42

Little Scrapper

Little Scrapper

Little Scrapper

Well-Known Member HBA Supporter

I love getting my head like 6" from the part and meeting the challenge of paper thin material. Sometimes I win, sometimes I lose. To me anyhow, welding is the greatest stress reliever ever invented. And TIG pretty much takes the cake. I really love Oxyacetylene though, I find it to be incredibly peaceful and seriously challenging.

Winginit likes this.
  3. Dec 21, 2017 #43

don january

don january

don january

Yes welding payed the bills for many years of my life and to this day I enjoy running a bead and creating something out of steal. I must say that I did get one or two bad flash burns in the years and that is never any fun and my eyes have paid for it. Always check your lens and hood guys and watch for flash from across the room while someone else is welding and don't forget them safety glasses when grinding.

Little Scrapper and Winginit like this.
  4. Dec 21, 2017 #44

Pops

Pops

Pops

I could have, if I wanted, but went in other directions. Was on the road for many years. Also built stacks at the power plants. Worked on the turbines, etc.

5. Dec 21, 2017 #45

Pops

Pops

Pops

I took extra care and never got a flash burn of my eyes. A reflection from something when someone else is welding is the one that will get you without knowing.

Little Scrapper likes this.
  6. Dec 21, 2017 #46

BJC

BJC

BJC

I helped check out and start up Harllee Branch. They de-commissioned it a few years ago, and dropped the 1,000 foot stack a year or two ago.

BJC

Little Scrapper likes this.
  7. Jan 17, 2018 #47

BBerson

BBerson

BBerson

Well-Known Member HBA Supporter

I just made this muffler.
    Took about an hour to MIG weld. Works great for thick to thin like the 1/4" thick flange.
    No distortion with the MIG tacks. Actually, no distortion anywhere on the thin can (.025" 4130 sheet).

image.jpg

8. Jan 17, 2018 #48

Pops

Pops

Pops

I was about a mile away out in the lay down field by the railroad tracks when the first time a new large coal fired power plant was put on line lot of phase. The ground shook and lots of fireballs. Scary. This was in about 1975.

9. Jan 17, 2018 #49

BJC

BJC

BJC

That happened from time to time with inexperienced operators who got so nervous that the made a big mistake. Sync’ing was something that everyone understood, but I can attest that it is a very different emotion to be the one with the breaker switch in hand as opposed one of the many geniuses looking over your shoulder.

By the mid-1980’s almost everyone was using sync-check relaying that blocked out a close shot unless the voltage and incoming verses running phases were within a safe range. By the mid-1990’s, most big, new, steam units were fully auto synced. CT’s started life in the early 1970’s with auto sync.

We must get together some time and swap stories.

BJC

10. Jan 17, 2018 #50

BJC

BJC

BJC

The diameter of the top of the 1000 foot tall stack, IIRC, was about 90 feet. Video of demolition here: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-I8dYQjJRXU

My brother has a photo of himself standing on a single scaffold board on the edge of the stack when it topped out, with clouds below. No fall protection back theen. Three people were killed in accidents on that job. My brother got a concussion when he was hit by a truck and thrown through the air. Someone called “headache” and a truck got to the doorway at the same time as my brother and several other workers.

BJC

11. Jan 18, 2018 #51

Pops

Pops

Pops

Have worked building stacks up to 1206' high. Worked as a high rigger for several years. Lots of close calls and lots of fellow workers got killed.
    Check this out. I finished up a repair job on one of the old boiler a few days before this happen. I knew a lot of the men that got killed in this accident.
    http://wvpublic.org/post/april-27-1978-willow-island-disaster-leaves-51-men-dead#stream/0
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Willow_Island_disaster

I was in an explosion in a boiler building that blew the siding off to the elevation that I was at 230'. Twisted building steel on the lower levels. I don't remember the explosion, but woke up latter. Lost hearing in my left ear. Lots of close calls. I worked on this stack as a high rigger. Replaced a friend that got killed on this job.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mitchell_Power_Plant

12. Jan 18, 2018 #52

BJC

BJC

BJC

Glad that you survived all that. Pops. I remember that cooling tower scaffold collapse.

BJC

13. Jan 18, 2018 #53

stuart fields

stuart fields

stuart fields

Pops you are obviously playing with a set of marbles other than a set like mine. I'm guessing that you wear a small hat but have a jockstrap size of XXXL

14. Jan 19, 2018 #54

Pops

Pops

Pops

May be right on the small hat size.
    Working at high rigging you usually have a close call about every 3 or 4 months. I got hung up side down at 800' on a stack job one time. Another time at 400' I was going up an extension ladder to a "I" beam above. The ladder was tied off at the top with #9 wire. The bottom of the ladder slipped off the beam below and I had to hang on the web of the bean above with one hand and get off the ladder and use the other hand and lift the ladder back on the beam below. Also did some free climbing of radio and TV towers installing antenna's and maintenance.
    At the time you don't think that having close calls and seeing your buddies get killed is effecting you , but it does, even today.

15. Jan 19, 2018 #55

stuart fields

stuart fields

stuart fields

Pops: Before I met her, my wife painted radio and TV towers. She also liked night scuba diving with sharks. I should also mention she's Blonde. I dove with her with the sharks and found I really preferred watching old re-runs (on the clothes dryer) with a cold beer in my hand, but couldn't let her go by herself. However, I'm sure if she decides to climb another tower, she will probably need a radio to talk to me.