• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Me 262 went supersonic in 1945 !

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

topspeed100

Me 262 went supersonic in 1945 !?

Well here is insert from the Wikipedia;

The flight

On April 9, 1945, Fähnrich Mutke, part of the EJG2 conversion squadron, 3rd flight, took off from Lagerlechfeld in his Messerschmitt Me 262, marked Weiße 9, for a planned high-altitude flight. He was climbing through at an altitude of 12,000 m (36,000 ft) in near perfect weather with a visibility of over 100 km, listening to the radio conversations, when his chief instructor Oberstleutnant Heinz Bär detected a P-51 Mustang approaching the plane of another comrade, Unteroffizier Achammer, from behind.
Mutke went into a steep 40° dive with full engine power to assist. While passing through the altitude of 12,000 m, the Me 262 started to vibrate, combined with the plane swinging from side to side. The speedometer was stuck against its limit of 1,100 km/h (682 mph) (the maximum speed of the Me 262 is 870 km/h. The speed of sound is 1,062 km/h (670 mph) at an altitude of 12,000 m, depending on the environmental variables). The shaking increased, and rivets started popping out of their holes. Mutke temporarily lost control of his plane. He reported that with the speedometer still off the scale he attempted to recover from the uncontrollable dive by adjusting the main tailplane incidence of the Me262. Rather than just having an elevator flap, the Me262 could change the incidence of the whole tailplane, a design feature that was later added to the Bell X1. Most significantly, Mutke claimed that without decelerating, the buffeting suddenly stopped and control resumed for a few seconds but he had throttled back and his engines flamed out and after the short period of smooth flight, the buffeting resumed and craft began shaking violently again. He fought to regain control and re-light the engines eventually reducing the speed below 500 km/h. After a difficult landing, it was found that his plane was missing many rivets and also had distorted wings.

There are few keyfigures that seem alike with Bell X-1 flight. We also know that a man in free dive can reach supersonic speed if jumped from 40 km.

Of the scale at Mutke plane was 1150 km/h..so he went beyond it. Noteworthy is also the 12 km altitude.

-------------------

Hans Quido Mutke has been labelled by many as a old pilots whose memory has failed.

Last edited:
Back