• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Manual retractable landing gear designs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cluttonfred

Supporting Member
Since my thread requesting specifics of the https://www.homebuiltairplanes.com/...nology/23732-mraz-m-1-sokol-landing-gear.html didn't get much of a response, let me broaden the question. Could folks please share any photos, drawings, diagrams of manual retractable landing gear mechanisms that might be useful for homebuilders?

Here's one from me, the simple hand-cranked, cable-operated arrangement of the Shavrov Sh-2 amphibian on a simple horizontal axle. Note the guide tracks on the sides of the hull and the clearly visible cables and pulleys in the first photo and the prominent winch in the second photo. I don't believe that there are any down locks in the design, just friction in the cable system and the fact that drag forces on the wheels when on the ground will tend to hold the gear back against the stops. If anyone has an actual drawing or schematic of the installation, that would be great.

4.jpg Sh-2cockpitatYegorievskTechSchool.jpg Shavrov Sh-2 [LIMITED to 500px].jpg

Anyone have any other examples to share?

Last edited:
Back