man-hauling drones

Discussion in 'Hangar Flying' started by jsoar, Sep 29, 2018.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Sep 29, 2018 #21

dougwanderson

dougwanderson

dougwanderson

Batteries, weight capacity and cost We have the motors and controllers and large scale multi-prop are simple to design.

2. Sep 29, 2018 #22

pictsidhe

pictsidhe

pictsidhe

Plummet protection would be needed for a usable design too. I haven't seen anything yet that would be survivable with a 50-100ft power failure. A birdstrike could be deadly.

3. Sep 29, 2018 #23

BBerson

BBerson

BBerson

Well-Known Member HBA Supporter

4. Sep 29, 2018 #24

Topaz

Topaz

Topaz

Right now, these things are at about the same place fixed-wing aviation was in roughly 1907-1910. Pretty soon we'll be hearing about the first "cross country" flight in a manned multi-copter, between two "cities" really close together in anyone else's terms. Then we'll start to hear about various "longest man-carrying multicopter" flights, with a competitive edge to the stories. That'll go on for a year or two, then someone will fly the English Channel, because that's a thing (Bleriot, Gossamer Albatross, the electric Cri-Cri) and, when that happens, you'll know they'll be starting to really enter the mainstream in a few more years.

For the moment, "state of the art" is just getting airborne and flying around with a reasonable amount of pilot control over the direction and altitude. Give 'em time. Technology marches on.

5. Sep 29, 2018 #25

pwood66889

pwood66889

pwood66889

Been there; just didn't buzz or gloat. VUO to HIO and back after class.
    Percy in NW FL

6. Sep 30, 2018 #26

Topaz

Topaz

Topaz

Nothing like buzzing a few commuters stalled in traffic to get the FAA and local authorities after you, bad press for all of GA, and more restrictions on how and where we can fly. Please don't.

7. Sep 30, 2018 #27

Doggzilla

Doggzilla

Doggzilla

Honestly, they probably won't be feasible until they double in size. Which would simply make them ducted fan helicopters, which is ironically something everyone has said was impossible.

What I'm most interested in is blown blades. NASA tried it a few years back and it was improperly designed and so was abandoned.

It's basically fixing the rotor blades and blowing air over them like the F-104 used to blow air over its flaps with hidden ducts from the turbine.

8. Sep 30, 2018 #28

pictsidhe

pictsidhe

pictsidhe

mauling han-drones?

9. Sep 30, 2018 #29

lr27

lr27

lr27

We need a vaccine! I seem to be immune myself.
    I think they're a lot further developed than 1910. The control technology is already quite good, and I guess motors are good enough. We've also got much better materials. Batteries, of course, are a bit of a problem. Plus safety, I guess. But the quad copters we have are already maneuverable and controllable and, for the most part, reliable.
    ----------------------------
    I don't think man carrying quad copters will be good for much until they develop one of these:
    mrfusion.jpg
    -----------------
    BTW, I saw a quad copter today that has lead-lag hinges in the prop blades.

10. Sep 30, 2018 #30

pictsidhe

pictsidhe

pictsidhe

Why blown blades? The blades aren't hurting for lift.

11. Sep 30, 2018 #31

radfordc

radfordc

radfordc

Tough crowd here! A guy designs, builds, and flys his own aircraft using hobby materials and it gets a yawn. In another thread, a couple of high school kids design, build, and fly their own aircraft using hobby materials and they get the royal welcome.

I guess "home built airplanes" isn't the right forum for this style flying machine.

12. Sep 30, 2018 #32

TFF

TFF

TFF

I know I am interested in airplanes flown by people, not just some computer controlled flying machine. Human element. They are here to stay and we have to put up with them but will loose to them. Down the road those machines will not be human carrying drones but human hunting drones. By then we will not be worrying about 103 weight increases.

Pops likes this.
  13. Sep 30, 2018 #33

Hot Wings

Hot Wings

Hot Wings

The way has been worked out, at least for something like the BlackFly. For a conventional part 103 OTS components can be had today that the math says will work. If I could find a generator/alternator at 50% of the weight/power of what I've been able to find praising-the-lord-smiley-emoticon.gif

Maybe silver plated aluminum Litz wire?

14. Sep 30, 2018 #34

Bill-Higdon

Bill-Higdon

Bill-Higdon

Igor Bensen did it back in the 60's with his B-12, granted it was gas powered props/rotors but he did it.

bmcj likes this.
  15. Sep 30, 2018 #35

Tiger Tim

Tiger Tim

Tiger Tim

I contend that it's largely jealousy. Someone else has the fame/attention/money/whatever and people who see it can't handle it. I prefer to stay positive by looking at the achievement.

FritzW likes this.
  16. Sep 30, 2018 #36

BBerson

BBerson

BBerson

I think direct drive gas engines could do it today also. They should probably have a built in electric motor for starting and the bit of boost power for takeoff and landing. During cruise in low power airplane mode the electric motors are off after charging the smallish battery.
    The extreme gas powered R/C pilots were using gas powered engines to hover with extreme precision. No reason the computer can't control the gas engines. No generators would be needed because the starter motors are small generators.
    No reason extreme mufflers can't be fitted either. The engines can easily be muffled to less than the prop noise.

I was thinking today that maybe they didn't demonstrate at Airventure because they didn't want to unveil how loud they might be. The only way to get quiet props is with low tip speed, and low disc loading and perhaps multi-blades instead of two blade.

FritzW likes this.
  17. Sep 30, 2018 #37

jedi

jedi

jedi

Sahuarita Arizona, Renton Washington, USA
    Not if it could ride on the roads at low power and only use high battery drain for flights around or over obstacle.

18. Sep 30, 2018 #38

TFF

TFF

TFF

It's a different faction. Like this https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=

TerryM76 and Pops like this.
  19. Sep 30, 2018 #39

jedi

jedi

jedi

Sahuarita Arizona, Renton Washington, USA
    Bremerton to Seattle is my bet. Amazon employees working in Seattle and living across the sound for lower real estate prices and rural living. Bypass the ferry lines and expense. Avoid the 50 mile drive around and bridge tolls. Wiz past the boats and wave to the passengers. Water helps soften the plummet problem. No altitude restrictions. Then at lunch time buzz over to the east side of Lake Washington for a lunch in Kirkland and take a short cruise down I 405 over the unpopulated median at 60 mph while traffic is at a standstill. A hundred tech employees would flood the phone lines attempting to get one the first day it aired on KOMO News.

20. Sep 30, 2018 #40

FritzW

FritzW

FritzW

Don't worry, these newfangled contraptions never amount to anything.

f96e27e0-a548-45e9-93bc-89f70e89462cImagem 02.jpg http _cdn.cnn.com_cnnnext_dam_assets_130607131706-wright-brothers-flight-1903.jpg 1512738175-yNlb_cover.jpeg cellpics-37.jpg

Now get off my lawn you **** hippies...

Topaz, Aerowerx, Doggzilla and 2 others like this.