Lycoming O-360

Discussion in 'For Sale / Wanted' started by PTAirco, Jun 12, 2019 at 4:19 PM.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Jun 12, 2019 at 4:19 PM #1

PTAirco

PTAirco

PTAirco

My Maule has an O-300 and could really use a little more power. I have choices of the Continental IO-360 or Franklins and while I have nothing really against them, I think a carbureted Lycoming O-360 is the way to go with this. Naturally, I'm on a budget. I'm hoping for something like a mid time to high time engine that I can rebuild (under supervision from y IA, of course).

Specifically I would like to find a -C4F or -C1F, but I'll consider any variant. I'm putting a fixed pitch prop on it.

This is still in the tentative stage, I'm enjoying flying something that is as economical as any 172, but a lot more fun and capable. 20190520_133505.jpg

2. Jun 12, 2019 at 7:27 PM #2

mcrae0104

mcrae0104

mcrae0104

Well-Known Member HBA Supporter

Any gripes with the O-300 aside from your desire for more power? How has your experience been owning/operating/maintaining it?

3. Jun 12, 2019 at 8:02 PM #3

PTAirco

PTAirco

PTAirco

No, no gripes with the O-300 at all. Mine supposedly has 800 SMOH and it's a little leaky. Replaced the rocker cover gaskets and that stopped 90% of it. Old fashioned pull starter, works fine. Starts very easily. Early version has no drive for a vacuum pump and the Mickey Mouse STC'd, belt driven one started cracking its mounting bracket and I took it off. Put on a venturi. Big old early generator, all seems 1965 vintage.

Put on a Tempest oil filter adapter. Then I took it off again - seems my temperature probe is too long and they don't make adapters for it. Tempest says I can get one from some outfit in Oklahoma who have no website and don't answer the phone, if they even exist. Thumbs down, Tempest! Obviously enough people have this problem because it's on your FAQs, You can machine this thing but you can't produce a little adapter??

On my own, with half fuel, I get about 600fpm, possibly slightly better according to my smartphone with iFly. Start loading it up and climb rate goes down fast. Certainly no worse than any 172, but the point of a Maule is to get in and out of short strips. I can get in, but might not get out. I'm going to try a 56" pitch prop I can borrow and see if it's a worthwhile trade off with the 60" pitch I have now. If it is, I might get it re-pitched.

mcrae0104 likes this.
  4. Jun 12, 2019 at 9:20 PM #4

BJC

BJC

BJC

Half the young folks here are scratching their heads trying to visualize a pull starter on that large an engine.

BJC

flyinut and Blue Chips like this.
  5. Jun 12, 2019 at 10:09 PM #5

PTAirco

PTAirco

PTAirco

Should clarify: by pull starter I mean you pull on a Bowden cable that engages the gears. It doesn't have a solenoid.

flyinut and BJC like this.
  6. Jun 12, 2019 at 10:36 PM #6

Pops

Pops

Pops

My work 1959 C-172 with the Cont -0-300 would climb from 700' to 10k in 18 minutes. Have a couple thousand hours at 12K. In restricted category, just pilots seat, no paint except for the N-numbers. Sometimes doors off, sometimes doors on.
    I love the 0-300 engines. Lose a cylinder in the 6 cylinder 0-300 and you have a good chance making it to an airport, not so much on a 4 cyl Lyc. Very smooth, easy to start and very dependable. Have owned 3 Cont-0-300 powered C-172's.
    Always wanted to install C-85 pistons.

My daughter and her husband used to own a C-170 with a Franklin engine conversion. I put the Cont-0-300 engine back on and it lost 85 lbs of weight. Flew a lot better.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2019 at 10:43 PM
    flyinut likes this.
  7. Jun 13, 2019 at 2:09 AM #7

TFF

TFF

TFF

I think you will have to go Continental or Franklin because you have a M4? Isn’t the Lycoming a M5 or 6? I know airframes are essentially the same but you are jumping models not making changes in the model group. Same TCDS but there are differences.

8. Jun 13, 2019 at 3:36 AM #8

PTAirco

PTAirco

PTAirco

No, there is an approved modification kit for the M4 to use a Lycoming O-360 (No 17 from the factory). Talked to someone there about it recently. You pay your $500 for the documentation and have at it. Since it's factory approved, no other paperwork is necessary beyond a log entry. Now finding the exact model of the engine is extremely hard, so my idea is to fit any suitable version of the O-360 and put the differences down as a minor alteration. Which they are; different mag model numbers mostly. From my recent perusal of FARs and Mike Bush's most excellent webinars, this is perfectly legal and straightforward. And expensive of course, but that is another matter.

One reason I love Experimental! But realistically, the only airplane I could build or buy with the same features as the Maule is a Bearhawk. Spelled $$$Bearhawk$$$. My M4 cost me less than $25k and I could possibly build something like it for that amount, but only with outstanding scrounging abilities. And a few years to spare.