Looks like a Mustang?

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

TXFlyGuy

TxFlyGuy wrote:

" We were the launch customer for the new high speed wing. I told Titan the kit would only be purchased with the new fast wing, so they made the new wing for us, serial number 001."

Ah so the Titan "speed wings" are the longer aspect ratio wings? Very nice. The airplane looks much better with the longer wings. That it will also fly faster because of that is gravy.
Yes, it looks much better than the clipped wing version. 24' span versus 28' wing span. And it does fly faster. My plane should be ready to fly next month (June). A top notch professional test pilot has been hired to work with us.
A955DFAE-979C-4113-9402-C883F7B00CFB.jpg
P1050841-001.JPG

Saville

There's an 8 minute 24 second Youtube video called "Grey Eagles" which talks about Jim Brooks and "February"...is that the video?

Then there's another one called "P-51 Grey Eagle Foundation" which seems to be the same video.

Ah but I see there's a 30 minute video on DVD so the YT vids must be trailers. amazon says the DVD is presently unavailable.

P-51 Store also says it's unavailable

Too bad - it looks like a great video.

Also, MustangMustangs indicates that the airplane was not originally the one flown by Brooks but one built in 1945 and never made it to a theater. No matter though.....it's a Mustang. And I'm sure it did Brooks' heart good to see it.

Last edited:

TXFlyGuy

My sister bought the DVD a number of years ago, and gave it to me. Some of the best, most beautiful air-to-air Mustang photo work I have seen. The video made us think that the Mustang was the actual one flown by Brooks during WWII.

Saville

The video made us think that the Mustang was the actual one flown by Brooks during WWII.
Yeah that happens a lot I find. The wording is just loose enough to make you think that Brooks (or another pilot in question) flew that precise data plate and hardware.

TXFlyGuy

One more photo to add. First flights coming up soon. Yes, really. I know it's hard to believe!
Regarding the bombs, check out photos of Sierra Sue II. That Mustang routinely carries under wing ordnance.

P1060250-001.JPG

TXFlyGuy

Thanks for the encouragement!

Only two very short test hops so far. I still have air in the cooling system, so more bleeding to do. The engine gets warm faster than what it should due to the air pockets in the plumbing. Testing with instant read thermometers proved air in the lines, plus there is evidence in my coolant overflow bottle.

But my test pilot says she flies sweet, real sweet. Near perfect balance, and very, very docile. He said this might be the fastest T-51 built so far.

There are no other issues at all. All systems working perfectly. The Bus Manager is great.

Installed Evans Waterless Coolant, with a boil temp of 375 F. It is good down to -40 F. A bleed valve will be installed in the engine this weekend, so we can purge the cooling sytem of any remaining air. Once that is completed, longer test flights will be undertaken.

This Mustang is an attention magnet. Three Med-Evac helicopter pilots saw the flight, and immediately came over to my hangar to inspect Texas Toye. They were very amazed at the plane.

TXFlyGuy

As we all know, this is just a first step in the long journey of Phase One.

edit: Elliot Seguin's schedule has him in Italy at this time, so working with him has been put on temporary hold.

Last edited:

jridge16

Congrats . Tell us what your plans are for Phase I. What will Elliot be doing for you?

raymondbird

HBA Supporter
A 1000 congratulations! Hope "setback" is minor.

BTW, could you please tell me what wheels and brakes you machine uses or custom Titan parts? For my replica 109, I can't find wheels/brakes narrow enough like yours to fit into the wing.

Thanks