Looks like a Mustang?

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

TXFlyGuy

You be the judge. Does the T-51D Mustang look like the North American P-51D? How close does it come to being a believable representation? My mind is made up. What say you?
First is the T-51, then the P-51:

P1050680-002.JPG

P1010713.JPG

Last edited:

plncraze

HBA Supporter
That is really close! I always thought the Titan looked a little "off" in some ways but your pictures and it look almost perfect.

TXFlyGuy

That is really close! I always thought the Titan looked a little "off" in some ways but your pictures and it look almost perfect.
The T-51D is very close indeed. The minor cosmetic changes made to the aircraft over the last 8 years have really improved the appearance.

The spinner (correct 2 piece), nosebowl, and belly intake scoop have all been modified to look like the P-51. My plane has the correct scale wing at 28 feet span. This is a huge improvement over the clipped wing (24') version.

I am one of the few that have added inner gear doors. This makes the Mustang look much more authentic. But these add some weight, cost, and major complexity to the system.

The D model canopy is slightly larger than 3/4 scale. This was done to allow two adults to comfortably occupy the front and rear seat.

The T-51 landing gear has a slightly more narrow wheelbase than the P-51. I think this was a construction/build consideration, and a cost issue.
P1050709.JPG

Victor Bravo

To me, that is absolutely as close to a perfect "shrink an original 1944 Mustang in the magic shrinker machine" replica as you can possibly get while still having a full size pilot and passenger aboard, and something other than an actual Merlin in the nose. Bravo!

Saville

The T-51D is very close indeed. The minor cosmetic changes made to the aircraft over the last 8 years have really improved the appearance.

The spinner (correct 2 piece), nosebowl, and belly intake scoop have all been modified to look like the P-51. My plane has the correct scale wing at 28 feet span. This is a huge improvement over the clipped wing (24') version.

View attachment 98661
So does this mean that the aspect ratio of your plane is closer tot he original P-51? That was one of the major departures with regard to looks.

The vertical stabilizer is - or maybe was - another one.

TXFlyGuy

So does this mean that the aspect ratio of your plane is closer tot he original P-51? That was one of the major departures with regard to looks.

The vertical stabilizer is - or maybe was - another one.
The aspect ratio, wings and fuselage, is a near perfect 3/4 scale. 24 foot fuselage, 28 foot wingspan.
Yes, the tail section (vertical stab/rudder) is slightly larger. This was designed to make the aircraft handle cross winds more easily. It is not very noticeable, and is easily overlooked.

The best scale model cosmetically is the S-51, but it's 70%, and just seems a bit small for my taste.

Another one, designed and built by the late Terry Kronk, was his 80% version. It was the best, hands down. Sad that Terry and his Mustang perished.

Last edited:

TXFlyGuy

The big thing no one caught (or did not mention) is the exhaust stack is missing!
It is undergoing a complete redesign to better fit the cowling. Should be ready very soon.

Tiger Tim

The best scale model cosmetically is the S-51
I agree, but a friend of mine is building a Stewart and you could probably build most of a squadron of Titans in the time it takes to finish a S-51.

I’ll admit I wasn’t a fan of the early T51s, I think I even once said they looked like they were designed by someone who had a Mustang described to them over the phone, but as you say Titan has come a long way since the beginning. Yours looks fantastic and is certainly the nicest and most faithful replica T51 I’ve seen so far.

BrianW

Robert at KAXS (SW Oklahoma) is building one - waiting til next year to buy the firewall forward engine (Did he say $30 grand or was it $40 G? A stupendous number anyway. Think its a Subaru conversion. The fuselage controls and electricals are about complete and made like only a manufacturer's field rep can

TXFlyGuy

I agree, but a friend of mine is building a Stewart and you could probably build most of a squadron of Titans in the time it takes to finish a S-51.

I’ll admit I wasn’t a fan of the early T51s, I think I even once said they looked like they were designed by someone who had a Mustang described to them over the phone, but as you say Titan has come a long way since the beginning. Yours looks fantastic and is certainly the nicest and most faithful replica T51 I’ve seen so far.
Thanks for the kind words. We were the launch customer for the new high speed wing. I told Titan the kit would only be purchased with the new fast wing, so they made the new wing for us, serial number 001.

A number of items are on my Mustang to make it look authentic. Already mentioned are the inner gear doors (missing from the S-51), replica .50 caliber Browning guns, and replica 500 lb GP ordnance (not yet installed). Also we have the bullet proof armor plate headrest, and aft canopy stiffener.

After we get the FAA inspection, an updated photo will be posted, taken outside in the daylight.
P1050710.JPG