Quantcast

Looks like a Mustang?

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

jridge16

Nice. What's your instrument panel look like? Glad you got the the long wings. Don't understand why they have so many wing versions on this kitplane. And why their standard wing is so short in span to the scale of the fuselage.

Jeff

Deuelly

Log Member
Nice. What's your instrument panel look like? Glad you got the the long wings. Don't understand why they have so many wing versions on this kitplane. And why their standard wing is so short in span to the scale of the fuselage.

Jeff
I was told at Oshkosh, the first year they were there, in the ultralight area. In the original plane designed for the Rotax, they scaled the wings down more to increase the wing loading. I want to say that they said 66% but not sure. Those planes were obviously quite a bit lighter than the ones they are building today with the V-8s.
At that time I also asked them about putting a bigger engine in. Their response was that they'd never put anything bigger than the Rotax in because it was plenty of power for the plane. Funny how times change.

Brandon

TXFlyGuy

I was told at Oshkosh, the first year they were there, in the ultralight area. In the original plane designed for the Rotax, they scaled the wings down more to increase the wing loading. I want to say that they said 66% but not sure. Those planes were obviously quite a bit lighter than the ones they are building today with the V-8s.
At that time I also asked them about putting a bigger engine in. Their response was that they'd never put anything bigger than the Rotax in because it was plenty of power for the plane. Funny how times change.

Brandon
On the wing issue, the 24 foot span was selected as it was easy to make the parts for the wing, not difficult or complicated at all. Very cost effective.

John Williams swore he would NEVER put in an auto engine. Never! That is, until one of his customers installed a Suzuki V6 with 180 hp. John took it up for a flight, and immediately changed his mind.

The progression was the Rotax, Suzuki, Honda, BMW (V-12), and the LS3.

TXFlyGuy

Jeff
It is full IFR, all Garmin...G3X Touch, GTN-650, plus comm, audio panel, and Auto Pilot. A GRT EFIS is there for backup just in case all of the Garmin stuff goes inop. The GRT has full moving map and internal battery backup.

P1030932.JPGP1030933.JPG
P1030920.JPG

TXFlyGuy

Nice cockpit, Tex.

Not going to wear a parachute?

BJC

The instrument panel was made by a company in Wichita. They do awesome work. Avionics and wiring was all done by Avionics First, in Dallas Texas.

The cockpit is not period correct. But I wanted function over style.

I had the seats (metal backrest and bottom pan) custom made, adding width and extra side support. The cushions were made by a local upholstery shop here in North Texas. Might remake the bottom cushions using energy absorbing memory foam.

This shop also made the leather pad for the bullet proof armor plate headrest.

Thanks for the compliment.

Parachute? No...not really.

P1050728.JPG
P1050726.JPG

Last edited:

Pops

HBA Supporter
Log Member
I'm in love with EVERYTHING about your 51.

Dan

TXFlyGuy

I'm in love with EVERYTHING about your 51.

Dan
Dan - Thanks, we like it too! It has been a long journey to get to this point. Attention to detail was and is a major objective.

Little things like the replica .50 Cal Browning guns, inner gear doors, armor plate headrest.....and here is the biggy, 500 lb GP Ordnance. The bombs mount under wing, just like on a real P-51, and they look so "Bad Ass"!
As soon as the FAA inspection is complete, we will install the bomb shackles with the fairings. I'll get some good photos then and post them here.

Myron