• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Laying out/ plotting ribs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Debaker

Hi all, I’m building to plans that include full-scale rib drawings. However, due to some slight inaccuracies between the drawings and critical dimensions and angles, I tried starting afresh and plotting out the airfoil manually, using coordinates generated from the airfoiltools.com website. As you can see in the pictures, the plot points are a bit off in places, especially the nose, compared to the full scale drawing. Also, the centerline is something like half a degree off the original. So, here’s the questions: should I go with this manually plotted version; or try another plotting program (suggestions?); or simply use the taped together full scale print-out, corrected for critical dimensions and angles (making the spars correct distance apart and 90 deg. to centerline)? The designer didn’t have the online resources we do today, so he thinks it could be beneficial going with the updates online-generated coordinates. Problem is I’m unsure of their accuracy. On the other hand, over the years, a good number of these planes have been successfully built and flown using the original print-out rib layouts. Any advice/ thoughts is appreciated! Thanks.

Attachments

• 14ABF17A-A2A2-4EC2-AFC8-42CF4F7CD536.jpeg
    14ABF17A-A2A2-4EC2-AFC8-42CF4F7CD536.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 0
  • EFDB1C5F-8D54-4097-A4E2-246F36C0915C.jpeg
    EFDB1C5F-8D54-4097-A4E2-246F36C0915C.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • A63D1D6E-4EC7-4B05-8C3C-B1DA05304CCF.jpeg
    A63D1D6E-4EC7-4B05-8C3C-B1DA05304CCF.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
Back