KR2 and Taylormono plane

Discussion in 'Member Project Logs' started by don january, May 24, 2016.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. May 24, 2016 #1

don january

don january

don january

I thought it was time to drop in and give a update on my build's. I'll start with the kr2, it's about the same as when I took it up last, other then I pulled the Corvair off and been playing with different ideas on power plant, at this time I'm boring out a 1600 vw and doing head's. Don't get me wrong the Corvair is a strong engine but like I said no goodies added just a stock 164, crank and all! I decided to keep it and just swap wing's with the Taylor-m, depending on what flight mission is at hand. Been working on a paint booth area to give both bird's their final color. As far as the kr2 it's done but never done if ya know what I mean. Now the Taylor has been a great plane to hammer on, I do like my wood:) Got the root spars done and where I want them, working on last set of WAF. Been looking around for some Diehl main landing gear, may just find some Soneria type gear don't know yet? built up the horz. stab part's and working on rudder, ran some rudder cable's and I've been seeing alot of great idea's on pedal's. I have a good ALum header tank installed it's been holding 3 lb. of air for nearly 2 week's. There is many question's that come to mind in the process of the build's and this sight has been a great help, little thing's like CG, tail weight on thrust line, and just getting good deal's on Wh pant's, or WAF's. for all you people out there that have a want to build your own bird or bring a wore down old girl back to life, I say go for it and get er done. What a joy you will feel in your heart when you give it a name and share the heaven's together. ;););) DJ

2. May 24, 2016 #2

don january

don january

don january

A little by the way. I have also been working on the idea of running stringer's from aft of the cockpit with a 30 degree tapper from top to bottom with ply. Adding two stringer's will give something to sew to and lighten up the tail. As some of you know the built to print Taylor-M has a radius through out the length of the Fus. running vertical it's not flat other then the billy. I was going to cover the whole plane anyway's so what do think of the stringer's??

3. Nov 17, 2016 #3

don january

don january

don january

Summer has came to an end here in North Dakota so I wanted to give a update on my slow but steady progress on the kR-2 and Taylor-mono plane. Back in May I set the sand paper down and started researching deeper on every thing I could find on both plane's. The KR2 was easy to find ton's of info on fuel tanks/ LG/ and just about any thing needed. I have to admit the Taylor-mono is a plane that is not very much found on the net or book's. I have spent the last couple of month's building a 1835 VW engine for the KR and getting all the wing part's gathered for the wing's with Diehl wing skin's with the RAF48 airfoil. At the same time I have taken a stock 1600 VW engine and getting it ready for the T-M plane. One of the biggest challenge's has been to sheet the fuselage of the T-M plane with ply mainly because of the duel radius of the fuselage. I don't take many picture's of what is being done other then for what is needed for inspection, but I have sent some pictures of firewall and other areas to a fellow KR restorer to aid in his endeavor. The KR2 is still in primer grey and it seem's I have to take the dang motor mount off once a year to sand it down and repaint these winter's up north are hard on 4130 tubing and plate. The fiberglass seem's to take the cold OK but every year it get's its flaw's. My plan is the same, both plane's one set of wing's. I'm still hammering away member's and enjoying every dime and moment spent. I hope you all have a safe winter and build your dream. Don J

Little Scrapper likes this.
  4. Feb 28, 2017 #4

don january

don january

don january

Been about 6 months since up date. And the planes and debris pile seem to have survived the temps fine. As far as the up date part in truth not much accomplished over the winter so far other then small part's for T- Mono. Goal is to get KR-2 ready for the engine. The Aeromomentum 117hp is my goal for power plant. I have the two vw's but I think it's time too get a mortgage and buy a "New" motor. I believe there is no other krs flying with this engine as of yet, even the 100hp would be plenty. With the finances I will go ahead and purchase last needed wood/glue and prop. and another pile of stuff that needs mounted. I will do my pictures and paint last. I would run the Corvair by B Clapp and his crew but for some reason I worry about "New" case half's being available.(no fault to him or Wynne). Between the two vw engines laying around I should be able to keep the T-mono running. Nearly there guy's. I'll get them wing's done and a little each day. On the forum I see a lot of "Where to start" "which one" I say to you. Get some print's or find a started project and get to building, Heck I just hope I don't die before they FLY. :grin: Don J

MikePousson and rbrochey like this.
  5. Apr 16, 2017 #5

don january

don january

don january

Some new's to share and I hope I don't regret any of my action's. I have decided to focus all my building on the Taylor- mono only. I will be taking the KR-2 apart and salvaging all hardware(hinges,bellcrank's,instruments,) basically any part that can be used on the Taylor-M. The KR-2 was built in 1985 and has been showing signs of deterioration in all area's. I have built stock landing gear for the Mono but I was hoping I could use the Diehl main gear off the KR on the Mono by reversing side's? I will be using the Diehl skinned wings and the Sonerai II cowling on the Mono. I will have a cowling, and front nose gear also a canopy and stick and one set of rudder pedal's available off the KR-2. I will post whats up for trade or sale on HBA. IF someone is in need of KR-2 item's please drop me a PM. I plan on using the 1835 cc VW on the Mono so my motor search is over. I also have been getting a pile of needed material together for the PDQ. The Taylor-Mono is more to my mission needs and if the wife want's to go I think renting a Cessna 150-172 would be better then the KR-2 as far as room and comfort. The Taylor-M can be fitted to the floats I have and also will do good on skie's. The PDQ will be my low and slow field "checker" and appears to be a simple craft to build. So that's were my building is heading. Time to retire N40WS for good and let it help in a new life for the next round of aeroplane. Don yellow TM.jpg PDQ.jpg

tlcasey100, vtul and Little Scrapper like this.
  6. May 9, 2017 #6

don january

don january

don january

Up date: I spent the weekend opening the root wing and spar area on the KR and was amazed on what was found. There was three different types of foam used in the root area and only one looked to be the suggested type. At one point I had to shake my head because I found areas were that spray foam from a can that expands was used but seemed to be the strongest foam I had to remove. I found a few screws that held my clamps along the spar for nav lights and fuel line had rusted nearly 100%. It was random and in what I thought to be pure dry areas! I learned never use steel screws unless stainless. The aileron bell crank, cable, pulleys, all looked like new after 33 years same as elevator fitting's. I took a rubber mallet and whacked the side of the Fus. to see how the glue held the blocks and uprights together with the Fus. and I must say the glue used must have not been much better then Elmer's. One of the locking nut's on the main gear mount was missing. Over all the 4130 WAF looked slightly rusted and the AN bolts and nuts had their share of surface rust and one of the upper rear spar fitting's would have grounded the plane in my opinion, (badly pitted rust above mounting hole) My overall view of the plane was it was old and dried out like me after a hot bath.:gig: The Spruce of the root spars looks good and the skins peeled right off with out removing any wood of the spars this concerned me a lot! I have too say that I'm glad I retired N40WS and saved what part's I could. I'm going to pull out the front root spar and pull the Mahogany plywood off and take a peek inside. On the Diehl Main gear attachment block the builder used 1-1/4" flat washers for backing plate, bad idea in my opinion you could see where it just crushed the plywood. I think I may be the first person to have a KR-2 tail group in the front yard as a wind-vane.;). Don

7. May 9, 2017 #7

don january

don january

don january

up date: I tore into the tail group today on the kr-2 and found some thing's all builders should know. All my controls were cable activated and in the wing root and the elevator plus rudder cables I found chunks of glue that had fallen down on the cable during some repair on the air frame in the past this at one point is no big deal but some drops were close to the pulley's and would have caused a big problem if it blocked the cable from rotating the pulley. I got lucky and all missed but it was close on the right wing root and elevator pulley.The builder of this craft had the Idea to close off the hinge area after the bolts were installed and this was a pain to remove the bolt's. I will leave enough room to get the bolts out and use a gap seal of some type to cover gap. I was able to save both root spars by cutting in the right area and dropping them out the bottom. It was a funny moment when the neighbor lady walked out and ask if that was a boat I was working on? I had the turtle deck off so I guess N40WS went back to a boat like it first began.:gig:

8. May 12, 2017 #8

don january

don january

don january

A bit off plane at home but wanted to share. N40WS was able to help a KR-2S get up on her leg's today and I must say it feels good to know that a piece of labor and love carried on to a new labor and love. DJ

rbrochey likes this.
  9. Nov 29, 2017 #9

don january

don january

don january

Decided to drop a few pictures of the start of the T-mono build. Spars are done and the pile of air frame parts is growing. Working hard on the Tail group at this time. taylor.jpg IMAG0282.jpg taylor3.jpg taylor4.jpg taylor 5.jpg taylor 6.jpg taylor horz.jpg taylor2.jpg Long way to go but not thinking about doing it !! but getting it done.;)

mcrae0104, narfi, MikePousson and 2 others like this.
  10. Nov 30, 2017 #10

don january

don january

don january

Made the jig for the Elevator rib this is my test rib. taylor elev.jpg I hope when sanded it will flow with the lines nice.. I will gusset the ribs to be used with 1mm ply and maybe add a upright at the center gusset like the Horz.stab. rib. The taper of the elev spar can be a trick when laying out the jig. I plan on notching the top and bottom of my spar the thickness of the stringer material and maybe would be best to glue in the forward rib upright last. The Elev spar tapers from 7/8" min down to 5/16". I guess a builder could lay out the part full size and hope for a good hit on your spar notch alignment. The front upright brace will need to be set at an angel or beveling before the rib is made. I just as soon set it in at a slight angle and epoxy in.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2017
    Joe Fisher, rbrochey and jmt1991 like this.
  11. Jan 28, 2018 #11

don january

don january

don january

just wanted to get some of my progress pictures in the log. aaarudder lay up.jpg complete rudder.jpg horz elev 1.jpg taylor fus.jpg Started gluing up the H/S and Elevator and got the tip bows formed.

12. Jan 30, 2018 #12

don january

don january

don january

shaped up 4 tip bows but maybe found another way? wing tip 1.jpg I have some 1/8" dowels that dad left over not sure what they are? says white and the size that's it on sticker. dowels.jpg but when I take and hook the ends together x4 and twist they become really strong and bow easily. I was going to coat a set in epoxy and lay in jig and see how much flex remains.

13. Feb 3, 2018 #13

don january

don january

don january

Horz. Stab is glued and getting fitted. TAIL PLAIN 3.jpg TAIL PLAIN.jpg

Joe Fisher, dcstrng, narfi and 3 others like this.
  14. Feb 5, 2018 #14

don january

don january

don january

Got all the small gussets cut and longer strip gusset laid out. Glued the four root ribs in place center drilled hinge spots with small 1/8" bit before any gluing done. I would like to run Male 1/4"-28 rod end bearings on elevator and make the H/S spar hinge half's out of Alum square tubing. Will take Epoxy mixed with rubbing alcohol and hand brush all control surfaces once finished. elaevator step1.jpg elev step2.jpg

Joe Fisher, Pops, jmt1991 and 2 others like this.
  15. Feb 12, 2018 #15

don january

don january

don january

Tail group pieces are glued up and waiting for hinges. One view is trying to catch the trailing edge of the Elevator. tail group 2.jpg . I'm looking at using rod end bearing type of hinge on control surfaces. tail group.jpg . Been thinking on the idea of using some type of cam to move elevator cable for trim.

Joe Fisher, cluttonfred and jmt1991 like this.
  16. Feb 13, 2018 #16

don january

don january

don january

rudder pedals step 1.jpg control stick.jpg I made some rudder pedals out of hard oak and drilled lightening holes or should I say burned my way threw them with a key hole saw.:) The control stick is out of my KR-2 and I can either modify to pick up the 4 outer elevator cables or go with 2 centered cables back like the stick is set up for now. I will mount the pedals with a 4" SS piano hinge and looking at the brake mounting also at this time. Lower blocks on pedals are of the same oak ripped into 1/4" plate then shaped. I may add a couple of lightening holes in them also. "Ever ounce helps" P.S. i'm sorry the pictures are so good that you may want to get a new camera. :gig:

17. Feb 17, 2018 #17

don january

don january

don january

Rudder pedals seem to be in the work area for a couple of us builders. rudder pedals step 1.jpg rudder 5.jpg this picture is what the prints ask for and I went with about the same size just different design. rudder 4.jpg rudder 3.jpg I saved weight by narrowing the width of the wood by an inch and incorporated 1/8 music wire into the top 4 inches of the pedal. They are extremely strong but yet light using oak and threw bolts and with the single centered bolt on the bottom of the pedal you can adjust your foot position before adding the 4 locking S/S or brass screws in the bottom plate. All threw bolts into T- nuts will have a locking nut and also epoxied on final assembly then bolts will be cut flush. The bottom 4 inch S/S piano hinge are yet to be mounted. Will see how they hold up.:emb:

Last edited: Feb 17, 2018
  18. Feb 25, 2018 #18

don january

don january

don january

I took the stock KR-2 root spars and cut down to fit the Mono and opened up one side and put in truss bracing. Some would say I added weight only and perhaps their right but I feel better with the strength added to support landing gear and wing loads. SPAR # 1 FRONT.jpg SPAR # 2.jpg Fuselage # 1.jpg Was glad to take a peek inside the spars and for the age the spruce sure looks nice. I got a seat bottom off of a wheel chair and came up with a light sling seat. :gig: Looking at the pictures seeing the bathroom and couch "talk about living in the build" :)

19. Mar 11, 2018 #19

don january

don january

don january

Just want to note in my project log that the stock KR-2 rudder cables worked without modification on the T-mono by mounting the pedals last and incorporating the cable pulleys near the aft end of the Fuselage just before where they exit the side near inspection plate. Will note if elevator cables work out the same??

Joe Fisher and cluttonfred like this.
  20. Mar 11, 2018 #20

don january

don january

don january

Picture of the gap of tail post and rudder spar before drilling tail post and picture of final gusseting of leading edge of elevator. elevator -1.jpg rudder hinges 1.jpg