KR2 and Taylormono plane

Discussion in 'Member Project Logs' started by don january, May 24, 2016.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Mar 14, 2018 #21

don january

don january

don january

Decided to go with a bit stronger mounting strap for the Horz. Stab. I built one per plans and just seems a bit light so I doubled width and and ground radius on center line each side and twisted to 90 degree +/- a bit. Final twist will be on final assy. to match up rights. horz. stab fittings.jpg

Joe Fisher and jmt1991 like this.
  2. Mar 17, 2018 #22

don january

don january

don january

I took a couple of KR-2 pulley's and mounted at rear of Taylor mono for aid in rudder cable exit. rudder cable pullys 1.jpg rudder cable pullys 2.jpg There will be a inspection plate just aft of the upright they are mounted to. I gusseted both sides.

Joe Fisher and Pops like this.
  3. Mar 17, 2018 #23

don january

don january

don january

Have worked out the route I'm going with my Elevator cables. One picture shows a hand drawing with my routing and the other shows the duel pulley and two single pulleys from the KR-2. I will add a cable retainer near the bottom side of the duel pulleys at this stage it has a retainer for both cables at the top. IMAG0382.jpg IMAG0383.jpg There will be a removable panel just ahead of the Fin to inspect single pulleys and the duel pulley will be mounted to the rear spar and can be inspected from cock pit under the sling seat that is easily removed.

cdlwingnut, Joe Fisher and Marc W like this.
  4. Mar 18, 2018 #24

don january

don january

don january

In my last post I was going a different area with my two small pulleys and have found a safer way so this picture is I believe a better route. elevator pullety drawing.jpg As you see I removed one pulley and continued on my way.:) elev pulley 11.jpg elev pulleys 2.jpg P.S. the bottom pulley mounting bolt will be re-insalled and adds strength and unfortunately weight. When I did have the cable running in the close pulley configuration It did run very smooth but with great insight from a fello HBA member I was aided in seeing the light.:gig: Thanks Joe

Last edited: Mar 18, 2018
    jmt1991, delta, cdlwingnut and 2 others like this.
  5. Mar 19, 2018 #25

don january

don january

don january

This picture is of the final set up at tail end. E pulley #1.jpg as you can see the original problem faced was cutting into the cross member at the turtle deck station just forward of the vertical fin that is why I considered running the two pulleys close together. I believe now I can slot the c-member about 1/4 of an inch at an angel for cable clearance and I have 3/4 " to play with and probably add another c-member above for support. I have two through bolt's and a 2 1/2" stainless lag screw at top for good measure. Built new mounting bracket and added cable lock. This picture is of the stick and spar area. control cables 1.jpg Nothing is bolted down yet I'm just working out clearances and mounting locations. I will have to add a cable retainer under the big pulley after the system is mounted this unit will be mounted to the floor and rear spar.

cdlwingnut and Joe Fisher like this.
  6. Mar 20, 2018 #26

don january

don january

don january

I increased pulley size on rear elevator area. e pulley 2 big.jpg and will mount one the same size aft of the rear spar .

cdlwingnut, jmt1991 and Joe Fisher like this.
  7. Mar 22, 2018 #27

don january

don january

don january

Today I cut out my seat material and made fair leads for rudder cable's. seat 1.jpg fair lead.jpg The seat will have a 3/4 inch foam pad sewed between the two pieces with a 1/4 plywood sandwiched in also. the material for the seat is cut in one full size folded over to double thickness. Mounting is done with Alum tube of 1" and 3/4" Dia. I will add in back support with foam on seat back bulkhead.

8. Mar 25, 2018 #28

don january

don january

don january

I tried my hand at a seat back and I guess I'll have to put some red in the paint design.:gig: seat back.jpg I cut lighting holes or should say burned my way through with a hole saw. seat back 1.jpg Then I made the seat base that will be sewn into the sling seat and also drilled lighting holes. seat base.jpg worked on re-plying the root spars and drilling holes for control stick and seat mounting brackets. Been deciding on if I should make small fold down door panel on left side of Fus. to ease in getting in and out. At 5ft.5 inches tall it probably would be a good idea.:) By the way I used the base out of a day pen for a newborn that folds up and it sure is some tough stuff staple gun would not touch it. My hand still hurts from those darn screws.:cry: Got done and then remembered my cordless drill. DAAAAA!!

Joe Fisher, jmt1991 and cdlwingnut like this.
  9. Mar 28, 2018 #29

don january

don january

don january

Spent most the morning sanding the WAF clean to check for surface rust and flaws and got the ply cut to size for the root spars. waf 2.jpg waf 1.jpg

10. Mar 29, 2018 #30

don january

don january

don january

I posted these pictures to give an Idea on the metal and Alum fittings that in my case had to be made. Take note that the WAF have to be doubled for the build and thanks to Bill Clapp I have the other set. The control stick I highly recommend to use the KR-2 single stick other then the one the prints call for. I made a control stick per plans and it weighs twice as much as the KR-2. Both fittings with the duel pulleys are to guide the cables before and aft of the rear root spar some of the smaller metal fittings are for mounting the sling seat to the spar and seat bulkhead. aircraft fittins 1.jpg control sticks.jpg Small pulleys will be mounted to the front of main spar for guide of the rudder pedal cables then from there into the cable wear tubes I made. Other fittings used for pulleys are in prior posts. Also I will use the control arm off the KR-2 for the Elevator as I did the rudder.

11. Mar 31, 2018 #31

don january

don january

don january

Been looking into my instrument panel and lay out. dash.jpg

cdlwingnut and Joe Fisher like this.
  12. Apr 5, 2018 #32

don january

don january

don january

I got the root WAF's bolted on and the alignment came out so far so good. WAFS MOUNTED.jpg Got the aft pulley bolted down and added a stiffener spruce to help support pulley pressures. aft spar pulley.jpg Also researching control stick bolt hole positioning. contro stick offset.jpg Have an old 24" bolt cutter and was wishing I could drill and make a Nico sleeve tool ??

Little Scrapper and Joe Fisher like this.
  13. Apr 7, 2018 #33

don january

don january

don january

Drilled and mounted Horz stab mounts and put on the brakes. Way too much movement for my taste so I inverted the fuselage block Horz..jpg and mounted some hard wood blocks along upper longerons. Picture is junk but gives the idea and while inverted I can work on Tail wheel. I will go with Alum angle and possible slot the upper angle holes to adjust incidence. Those stock mount straps are a pain in the a$$. horz. stab fittings.jpg blocks will have counter sunk stainless screws added horizontally along longaron and uprights just a few each side for safety and strength.

14. Apr 11, 2018 #34

don january

don january

don january

Have the good fortune of placing a piece of Ag Cat spray plane to the T-mono. A friend of mine had some 6061 t-6 angle that came of a recked Ag Cat and I was able to make some real strong and efficient mounts for the Horz. Stab. stab fittings 2.jpg new stab fittings 1.jpg and while the plane was inverted I'd figured I'd grab a picture to show off those pretty lines the T-Mono has. fuselage inverted 2.jpg The Ag Cat parts mainly added for memory of my father who sprayed for 33 years. One step closer.:) Soon the weather will allow me to take it out side and take all the parts and start putting them in place for final rigging. I have to say it's rather exiting to look around and see all the parts I have built and I can almost see light at the end of this part of the build. Soon FWF and finish up the wings. Who knows maybe it will see air venture this year.

Joe Fisher, raymondbird, Pops and 4 others like this.
  15. Apr 15, 2018 #35

don january

don january

don january

Ag cat fittings.jpg Got things dialed in and started drilling. Should be firm and safe. The fin covers the mount area so hope to work in a tight seal in that area and have access to the mount bolt's from top.

16. Apr 15, 2018 #36

don january

don january

don january

Working on upper cockpit entry area. Made small side doors and will mount permanently with pad and leather stitched around the radius. cockpit side 2.jpg cockpit side 1.jpg hope for a look like this when finished. Cockpit_coaming_leather_padding_029_137.jpg

Joe Fisher and cdlwingnut like this.
  17. Apr 29, 2018 #37

don january

don january

don january

Investigating cowling fit. cowling 2.jpg cowling 1.jpg Worked on Elevator hinge's

18. Jun 12, 2018 #38

don january

don january

don january

Got to the controls and cable's and some hinges and for some reason the build came to a slow pace???? I looked the situation over and found what many if not most come into to bring the brakes on in the build. It is not the money or the time needed it's the drive that moves the build to the next step. I'd have to guess that most builder's like me have to transition to another phase of the build and it takes time to get your thought process locked into rather it a wood project or metal such as a fuel tank. My Taylor is getting ready for fuel tank and cowling fit and then I will complete the sheeting of the Fuselage. Wing's are setting in the Wing's waiting. For all those flyer's out there that keep looking over the selection I'd say pick one and go for it and be happy with what ya got. taylor 13.jpg

19. Jun 29, 2018 #39

don january

don january

don january

Picked up a airspeed indicator, RPM gauge, CHT/EGT today and will check on what way to mount. Pictures to come. Got Elevator ready for cable's and look's to be I may half to cut cowling down center line and remove 2" over all to fit fire wall. Thought's are to add piano hinge down center line and have Cam lock's on cheek cowl center. Have throttle cable in work but not ready. Starting to cover turtle deck and access panel for elevator pulley near stern post. Looking for right leather and pad for cockpit opening. DJ

20. Jul 8, 2018 #40

don january

don january

don january

I set the instruments near the dash template and wow where is the room needed I still have a couple more to add?:ermm: I may need to drop dash down in the center to pick up my fuel gauge/hour meter and switches but worried about leg room. header tank can have a sight tube but wing tanks should have a gauge. The other picture is of root wing fittings off the KR that I may use for cable support till I reach the torque tube and other mis. stuff for fuel supply and monitoring also engine ignition. intruments 1.jpg wing fittings.jpg The RPM gauge is mechanical driven and not sure yet if it work on a VW researching that at this time. Making a mount for my router on tracks to feather the ply for the Fuselage and mainly just having fun and enjoying the cool temperature in the basement. I was looking at Pops build log and see he started posting in August of 2013 and now he is near done. I hope to be under that time span but who knows I'm in no hurry. Like pops I seem to get more done in the winter. Don

Last edited: Jul 8, 2018