KR2 and Taylormono plane

Discussion in 'Member Project Logs' started by don january, May 24, 2016.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Jul 25, 2018 #41

don january

don january

don january

Like my past post I have been working on FWF, fuel tank,cockpit and have bought a canopy with nearly the perfect dimensions for the aircraft other then it has a turtle deck height that may be taller then the stock Taylor-mono but it is the size needed to have a complete bubble from seat back forward and I have the idea of maybe hinging where the canopy tips forward like a dragon fly KR-2 canopy instead of opening to the right and I also purchased a complete 4" tail wheel with spring and its steerable and it's under 5 lb. complete.:cool: I will post pictures once they arrive. I may have to increase the size of the turtle deck arch at the seat back to accommodate the canopy but that's fine because many Taylor-M have a head rest built into that area. I'll try like hell to get some fresh photos posted in the next few weeks. Don J

cdlwingnut and Joe Fisher like this.
  2. Oct 5, 2018 #42

don january

don january

don january

First snow of the year hit today and for me it is a important kick off point for the Taylor-mono. I can shut the garage door down and tarp up the VW trike and hope the mowers get lost:gig: focusing on engine mount and all the hundreds of little things yet to get done. I sure like this example of the Taylor-mono 8167561223_e99e5ebf3e_b.jpg

3. Oct 23, 2018 #43

don january

don january

don january

I want to show the cockpit skirt at least that's what I call it. this is the skirt I came up with and plan on a foam or garden hose split down the center and leather cap sewed on with maybe a spiral wrap with the thread? I will add probably Balsa triangle stock behind to get more glue surface. Don't want too tall it could snap with enough down weight. b-3.jpg b-2.jpg b-1.jpg Waiting as long as I can before sheeting the Fus. because of the ease of work. I do have some ply whetted and dried close to shape. Considering adding a balsa web to rear of spars of HZ and elevator spar. IMAG0627.jpg IMAG0625.jpg

Pops, Joe Fisher and cdlwingnut like this.
  4. Nov 1, 2018 #44

don january

don january

don january

I cut the leather and air hose to fit the cockpit skirting once they are glued on I will sew on the blond leather cover with a dark brown leather flat rope and should blend good with the aircraft entry area. 1/2 air hose fit the job well and was easy to work with. Also the leather is very soft and should hold shape once sewed on. cp skirt 1.jpg cp skirt 2.jpg

Pops, cdlwingnut and Joe Fisher like this.
  5. Nov 29, 2018 #45

don january

don january

don january

Like they say "A little every day" I took a seat bottom out of the KR-2 and cut a dash panel and drilled a few instrument holes. dash new.jpg Also took a deep breath and glued the skirts on. I ran a full strip of spruce cut in triangle shape and glued it behind skirt for strength and also added a block in the rear corners. skirt blocking.jpg skirt glued.jpg A builder should remember to leave ply thickness when doing the skirt as I did. You can hardly tell do to low quality picture of that area but you get the drift/shadow. :) Late edit: storage access hole and seat belts and tried my hand at sewing cockpit skirt leather in place. storage 1.jpg storage 2.jpg

Last edited: Nov 30, 2018
  6. Dec 1, 2018 #46

don january

don january

don january

Well the final result of the cockpit skirts are done and was my first attempt of doing this. skirt 3.jpg skirt 4.jpg I ended up using 4 strands of 20 lb. test fishing string mainly for the worry of moister ruining the leather rope for sewing. I coated the leather crown with a leather sealer and plan on making the dash removable. I will build a front deck about 4 inches wide to cover the instruments and also a landing to pick up the back of the top engine cowling this front deck will be built into the dash and removable as a dash unit. I believe I will get fuel tank mounted and finish up rudder pedal mounting then its move on to applying the fuselage ply sheeting from front to rear spar area and turtle deck ply can be done adding a head rest/roll over protection unit during the build of turtle deck. "Kinda have a game plan";)

7. Dec 20, 2018 #47

don january

don january

don january

After some measuring I have discovered that I will need a bulkhead 8" in front of the dash to assure the back of cowling will have a place for mounting screws 4" was not enough. I have drawn a 3 piece fuel tank out of Alum and that's on the get done list. I would like to have some pictures of things done but the truth is there is about 8 different areas I'm working on at the same time.

8. Dec 26, 2018 #48

don january

don january

don january

This is in my head right now drawing.jpg and I have gathered the wood and Alum angle and some of that good old KR-2 seat bottom material to make what I call the Dash box. One thing I almost missed was the fact the wind screen needs to mount to this unit so hard mounting points was a must for the screen. Now I ask my self should I go 1/8 ply for the top wrap or should I use what I did on my trike finders ?"Good old 55 gallon plastic barrel cut to size sure is some water proof material tho a bit heavy. Material used will be the dash top and compass and possibly other items will need to be mounted on top. I have weighed both the ply and the plastic and the weight difference is very slight but with the hard plastic (about 3/16 " thick) you have total water protection. The back of the cowling blue%20cowling.jpg will end just before the wind screen and cover fuel tank. A person will need to remove top cowling to pull Dash and ease of fuel tank bolts. Fuel tank and Dash box will be totally separate units.

9. Dec 31, 2018 #49

don january

don january

don january

Instrument dash box- One of the hardest parts so far of my build. dash box 4.jpg this is the Alum angle I made and tapped for some great ss screws Pops donated. dash box 3.jpg this picture shows the dash box glued up and waiting for sealer to dry. dash box 2.jpg dash box 1.jpg finished out with a couple of pictures showing it mounted. I have 2 Allen head bolts in cockpit and 12 total on outside for mounting. Its very light yet strong. The biggest problem I had was to get the ply to curve two directions in such a short span. I ended up at final stage to screw and bolt it in place wet and let dry over night I would have took pictures of when I had it jigged up but I pictured you all shaking your head lets just say it took 1 gallon paint can, rope, and a few wood wedges to get it there.:gig: I did leave 5/8 of an inch over hang at instrument side to fasten leather padding across for safety just not installed yet. Vickie my wife said I need to clean and shut the darn toilet lid. :roll: On a positive note If I take a straight edge and lay on the Box and to the firewall I'm within 1/16 of an inch to being a straight line.

10. Jan 1, 2019 #50

don january

don january

don january

I forgot to add a picture of the inside of the Dash box. dash box 5.jpg I laid in some ply strips 90* for more strength for mounting wind screen. I epoxied the strips down then added good old Elmer along the sides as a weld to help seal then painted sealer not shown in the picture. The box is about as heavy as a can of beer.:) Pounder that is

Little Scrapper and Joe Fisher like this.
  11. Jan 22, 2019 #51

don january

don january

don january

Now that I have some needed measurements I can cut out the 1/8" Alum plate for fuel tank. This drawing is of the 4 pieces I will lay out on sheet and then probably cut ID with reciprocating saw and sheer outer perimeter. . fuel tank.jpg After cleaning up edges good I will close tack about every 1/2" and go along with hammer and get the seams as tight as possible before welding. fuel tank 1.jpg These two fittings are off the KR-2 header tank of fiber glass build but I will clean and weld them in to Taylor mono header. Nice thick Alum female fittings. There will also be welded a gas cap nipple on top with a nipple to pick up the upper site glass fuel tube and directed to the tee on bottom of screen fitting. I may just use a venting cap depending on splash over. I might have to have a sealed cap and add one more nipple and route vent to above upper cowling. I have to research venting closer before final weld is done

Last edited: Jan 22, 2019
  12. Feb 7, 2019 #52

don january

don january

don january

Sticking with the Taylor-Mono and KR-2 parts swap I wanted to address the rudder control horn. horn 1.jpg horn 2.jpg As seen I used the stock horn off my KR-2 and did a slit mod to get the 30 degree needed for travel. I also added a Alum angle to the Fus tail post for a solid stop if needed to save damage to the post. There will be 2 stops for the rudder throw one behind the pedals them self's and one at the tail post. I think the trick is to get both timed for max throw and with this a pilot can lean on the pedals harder then needed with out damage to system. For you that have landed a tail draggier sometimes rudder pedals are abused by trying to keep things straight. I also have the opportunity to go up to 40 degree deflection for more rudder which the Taylor-mono is a little weak in. All the little things a builder must overcome.;)

13. Feb 12, 2019 #53

don january

don january

don january

I took some 7075-T6 Alum and mounted to the floor plate of my rudder pedals for easement for my heels to move for the brakes. floor plate.jpg I need to build 4 brackets to mount cylinders to with a slope of around 25 Degrees that the cylinders will set. I will mount a fluid reservoir on inner firewall and run lines out near front of front spar. Something each day. The Alum came off of my KR-2

14. Feb 14, 2019 #54

don january

don january

don january

Stopped to have a bowl of beans and figured I show whats up on today's play list. maule tw 1.jpg Got the Tail wheel assy. on the bench to check the cam and lock pin a great gift from Lil Scrapper. then tried to get a shot of the interior but that was a BUST. floor plate 2.jpg and beings there is no corn bread I think I'll hit it a bit more. A nap does sound good.:)

15. Feb 16, 2019 #55

don january

don january

don january

Mounted throttle. throttle 1.jpg throttle 2.jpg soon to start doing the finish ply covering

16. Feb 28, 2019 #56

don january

don january

don january

Been looking over ideas for a tail wheel set up for the Taylor-m and I would like to have some adjustment on dampening I looked over this set up - xxx.jpg and I happen to have a possible candidate for a start of my own set up - xxx1.jpg The wheels are turning in my head.:gig:

jmt1991, cdlwingnut, Pops and 2 others like this.
  17. Mar 7, 2019 #57

don january

don january

don january

Last post was about landing gear and my wheels were turning and I have came up with a way to go on my Taylor-m. landing gear 2.jpg I have cut a bracket to see how things work and I think with some filing and sanding I can make this rough cut work. landing gear tail.jpg landing gear 1.jpg I eliminated shock to save weight and the Tail spring came with my KR-2 and Taylor-mono when purchased but not real sure what craft it was for? It is rather a stiff spring. I made a bracket that mounts to spring bolt at aft end of gear and I can add shock if spring is to weak to support plane. Front bushing is yet to be welded on spring

18. Mar 7, 2019 #58

don january

don january

don january

Here is a picture of Tail wheel getting bolted in position. landing gear 4.jpg landing gear 3.jpg I can remove rear bushing and have about 8 inches from bottom of wheel to bottom of Fus. or go up to around 10 inches of height by adding a bushing. The thicker the bushing the more height gained. I hope Lil Scrapper see's the Maule going to good use.:beer: P.S. tried to get a back drop color that wouldn't clash with gear.:ermm:

19. Mar 20, 2019 #59

don january

don january

don january

I found that once the weight of the aircraft is down on the tail wheel the spring pressures up against the inner part of the mount at the radius and the rear bushing bolt is mainly used for a safety stop when spring is overloaded. Very effective set up IMO tail wheel mount.jpg

cdlwingnut and Little Scrapper like this.
  20. Mar 22, 2019 #60

don january

don january

don january

Pops was so good as to donate a couple tires and brake hubs for the Taylor-mono for shipping cost only. tho they are 10" Dia tires and the plan's call for 12" I feel they will serve my mission well but may cause grass strip issues but will use 3500ft asfalt strip for test flights a-1 brakes.JPG . I will purchase Azusa rims and check and see if 12" tires are compatible with the new rims If not I will use these tires and brakes until I can upgrade. Thanks Dan

Little Scrapper and cluttonfred like this.