• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Just how good are the Rotax 912's?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wrongway John

They had a very good discussion on this engine a while back ago on Van’s which you can view all of the pages starting here: http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=24875&highlight=rotax+tbo

One stated that he had known of others that have went 4,000 hours on this engine, singing its praises, but yet one flight school in Australia claims they had 5,000 hours on five different 912’s, with only one that was rebuildable and was able to reach TBO.

Unlike Lycomings and Continentals which are overhauled many numerous times, the Rotax 912’s may not even be worth the effort.

Unlike the Zenith 750 which gives you many more engine choices, the 701 is more limited with many thinking the Rotax 912 is an ideal fit for it due to its light weight and horsepower. I'd hate to think it was only good for one go around though.

Anybody having experience with this engine, espeically if you have went to TBO, or have had it overhauled to your satisifaction, I'd like to hear what you have to say. Or if you know more about its history, pro or con, I'll hope you'll share.

Back