Jet Pack Racing

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Tiger Tim

I wonder how long it will be before RedBull gets involved...
[video=youtube_share;W-sEbI_EWXU]https://youtu.be/W-sEbI_EWXU[/video]

Tiger Tim

Kind of hard to see from a safe distance.
I can’t imagine a safe distance would be that much, if things go wrong these guys are more or less just on a ballistic trajectory to the water below. That and with the number of camera drones that would zip around an event like this I’m sure watching wouldn’t be an issue.

These guys and Yves Rossy need to combine forces. Foot launch flying jet pack-wing.
I wonder how you would transition from vertical to horizontal flight. Huge spoilers? Fold the wings up?

Topaz

Super Moderator
Staff member
Log Member
... I wonder how you would transition from vertical to horizontal flight. Huge spoilers? Fold the wings up?
Vertical climb until the airspeed over the wings is larger than the stall speed, followed by a pitch-over to horizontal flight. For the reverse, pull up into vertical flight, let speed bleed off to zero, then back down. All of this is the same as the old "tail sitter" VTOL aircraft. It's just that, since the pilot is standing in vertical flight, he'll have a much easier time judging the landing.

I'm absolutely amazed someone hasn't bolted Rossy-style wings (with three-axis controls) to a jet-pack similar to the one in these videos. It seems like such a natural solution.

skeeter_ca

Maybe when they stop having to fly over water it might say something. Seems like the crash rate is high since they only fly over water. Same with all the multicopter style platforms. No safety net.

skeeter

Aesquire

The U.S. Army gave up on jet packs, right after they finally had one that worked.

The https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Williams_X-Jet WASP finally let them test the concept, and while it gave awesome scouting capabilities, it was also so loud that it was useless in that role.

Pity. I want one. If you are not worried about people shooting at you while you try and sneak up on them in the flying whistle, it's a great commuter machine. :)

Topaz

Super Moderator
Staff member
Log Member
... But I suspect the problem is they have a very short range and make an awful lot of noise.
... it was also so loud that it was useless in that role. ...
These being turbofan powered, I suspect they have "better" range than the older jet-pack designs, but yeah, since the most-likely role would be "covert", the noise is probably the issue.

Latest posts

Group Builder