• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

It seemed like a simple plan...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ironnerd

I was thinking of an N-3 Pup or J-3 Kitten. Then I remembered I can’t weld, so I looked for something with an aluminum angle fuselage and found the Texas Parasol. The fuselage looks… okay – I plan to add gussets to provide for more realistic rivet spacing. The wing, however seems pretty marginal on the TP. I figured I would use an N-3 Pup or Super-Pup wing instead, but the extruded spars are not available.

So, now I am pondering a built-up “I” spar (a 6061-T6 0.063 web with two 6061-T6 ¾ x ¾ x 1/8 angles top and bottom), and Aluminum ribs.

The dream-state is to make the ribs rectangular (i.e. no curves), install them between the ribs at an angle (like the Ecroupe, Taylor Coot, and Hurricane), then use foam false ribs for the airfoil shape.

So… In brief, I started with something simple, was gripped by madness, and now have an idea that will likely never fly.

Mission accomplished.

Back