"Intersting" electric homebuilt

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Himat

PVC pipe spar?:eek:
Look like somewhere in Norway, at least the licence plate on that black VW is Norwegian. The scenery matches somewhere in the western part of Norway too.

Tiger Tim

On the same channel they provide an explanation of how flight times are kept reasonable-looking between points in the [strike]southern hemisphere[/strike] outer circumference of the flat earth. I had no idea it was as simple as using Concordes to go everywhere and just throttling back in the northern latitudes to maintain the illusion.

PTAirco

PVC pipe spar?:eek:
Look like somewhere in Norway, at least the licence plate on that black VW is Norwegian. The scenery matches somewhere in the western part of Norway too.
I think that's just the auxiliary spar; the main spar is made of extra high strength ABS!

rtfm

Why do guys even bother with this sort of crap? Has he never seen a typical small plane before? Even pictures on the web would provide more information than has gone into this design. What a waste of time.

pictsidhe

He's a flat earther. They aren't known for their prowess in research.

I liked the wheels, gear looked a trifle stiff, though.

jedi

Sahuarita Arizona, Renton Washington, USA
Why do guys even bother with this sort of crap? Has he never seen a typical small plane before? Even pictures on the web would provide more information than has gone into this design. What a waste of time.
I assume it is the same reason I nailed my roller skate haves to a 2 X 4 even though my dad had a 32 Ford. I did not have access to the Ford but I did have one roller skate in reasonable condition and an old piece of 2 X 4. And, I had a desire to get around with less effort than running and faster than walking.

I borrowed a hammer and scrounged some nails and learned from both the successes and failures. I think it was the start of something. I am still trying to figure out what that something is.

He does have two good electric motors with enough thrust to taxi. By the looks of the wing span he is well on his way to building a "roadable aircraft". Oh NO! Did I say a dirty word or two.

I wish I had a neighbor (or friend on HBA) with his desire and ambition that I could work with. Perhaps together we could answer the questions asked in the "Aircraft Design / Aerodynamics / New Technology - Delta wing airfoil" post.

Last edited:

lr27

It's only an aircraft if it can leave the ground.

Tiger Tim

Why do guys even bother with this sort of crap?
It's just a demonstration of you don't know what you don't know.

Look at what he's accomplished so far:
-it is shaped like an airplane
-it uses aluminum, like an airplane
-there's a spar to hold the wing up
-the ribs are flat and wood, like many planes
-the controls all appear to move in the right direction
-some well-intentioned testing was done

The designer/builder just treated an airplane project as if it were a small boat or a go kart. Unlike a land-bound project, you and I know that an airplane is a lot harder to make work. That's not as obvious to a lot of other people. It's the next step (does he rely more on the experience of others or keep making every mistake himself) that's the interesting one to watch. It's not unlike some of the African airplane and helicopter projects you see from time to time.

Hot Wings

Grumpy Cynic
HBA Supporter
Log Member
I'm going to copy his work this summer!
?
?
?
?
?
Never thought of using a model brushless motor and a folding prop on my canoe before. It has to be better than plastic tarp and lashed paddle sails. :ban:

RonL

HBA Supporter
I'm going to copy his work this summer!
?
?
?
?
?
Never thought of using a model brushless motor and a folding prop on my canoe before. It has to be better than plastic tarp and lashed paddle sails. :ban:
I have probably had almost a thousand great ideas and this was one of them, another version a swamp boat with a flat six corvair engine driving outboard props, but all the ideas reduce to the simple result....."I would rather live in my house" :)

jedi

Sahuarita Arizona, Renton Washington, USA
I know of an old man that used a model airplane engine and prop lashed to the rigging of his 30 foot sailboat for an auxiliary to get into and out of the slip where it was kept way back in the 50s.

BJC

HBA Supporter
I know of an old man that used a model airplane engine and prop lashed to the rigging of his 30 foot sailboat for an auxiliary to get into and out of the slip where it was kept way back in the 50s.
HP?

BJC