• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

In-flight fuselage twist photo

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

handprop

Hey all
While doing research on the Tipsy Nipper I came across an interesting photo and story about about a Tipsy owner that experienced aft fuselage twist during high G maneuvers. The following photo shows the fabric twisting when the pilot applies rudder. These airplanes have a very good reputation for safety and are built for aerobatics when built correctly. When another pilot noticed the twist it was realized after some research that the previous owner while restoring the airplane had removed the cross bracing.

The cross bracing is a little different than most airplanes. The designer uses wire stretched and welded to load points working its way back to the tail in one piece. It was revealed under close investigation that the fella had ground the wires off at some point in the aircrafts life and the new owner wasn't the wiser.

Some friends of mine have old biplanes from the 1920's and the fuselages have cables connected to welded tabs, using wire would be much lighter when you consider all the weight of the turnbuckles.

I thought forum members would find this interesting. Mike

Attachments

• Tipsynippertwist.jpg
    Tipsynippertwist.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 333
  • Bracewire.jpg
    Bracewire.jpg
    157.2 KB · Views: 328
Back