• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

I soloed the Kitfox III this weekend

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WurlyBird

After about 3 weeks of being grounded for repairs I got the KF ready to go again and took it to the field this weekend. My instructor had me do a couple wheel landings and a couple 3-pts all in a cross wind, albeit a light one, but with no issues. Then he got out, signed off on the log book and sent me on my way. The most impressive thing was how differently the plane handled solo. The Kitfox is an absolute joy to fly with a friend but when they get out it is a nearly perfect little sport plane.

This is not my first time soloing so I did not get that ultimate joy. What made it so much fun was flying around a little plane with no doors, listening to Jack Johnson through the ICS, laughing at the bobble head bongo monkey on the panel, and just putsing around all my friends neighborhoods at 500'. I also found that while the KF is a little heavy with 2 pax it is quite nimble solo. Flying solo also does away with the inability to flare and float down the runway.

As soon as I knock out my x country next weekend I will be ready to prep for the check ride, so I will have my ticket soon. Fingers crossed. Then it is time to start finding people who fly in the area for airborn shinanigans.

Joe, your friend was flying his Sonex while I was soloing, you still need to get a hold of me.

James

Back