• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

How to raise an engine?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WurlyBird

Unfortunately this is my first post in quite some time. Unfortunately my plane laid in the garage in pieces in between and during a few government funded vacations and I have been stuck being that guy who is too busy with family to fix it. But now the wife wants to learn to fly planes so priorities around the house get to change a little. Wahoo. So here is what I am stuck on and hopefully this will not end in me being verbally beaten about the head and neck for being stupid.

I have a Kitfox 3 and decided to upgrade from a Rotax 582 to the HKS 700E. I found someone who makes FWF setups for this application including the mount. The problem is that the thrust line is higher with this engine and it looks ridiculous in the round "radial look" cowling. So I got a cowl from an Avid Mk IV which has a thrust line that is higher still. So now I need to raise the height of the engine mount 2". I came up with the mount extension design that I will attach pictures of made of 6063 structural aluminum channel that is 2"x1"x1/8". It has cross braces made of the same to prevent any torsional loads crushing the mount extension. The front brace has lightening holes drilled in it because the tabs on the front are where the oil cooler will be mounted and I did not want the air to stagnate behind it. I believe it would be best to bolt the engine to the mount extension and the mount extension to the existing mount since long one piece bolts would work to crush the channel. The other option I see if this will not work is to get 2" square steel tubing and weld that in place but that would be significantly heavier, on an engine swap that is already going to bring the CG forward initially.
mount1.jpgmount2.jpg
So is this a mount extension that could work or will I be better off welding steel. I am nowhere near the ability to calculate the structural loads for an engine mount but I have studied several UL designs that had what looked to be very minimal engine mounts. Much less significant than this anyway. I certainly don't want to risk any damage or injuries so feel free to be brutally honest with me if you know better than I do.

Attachments

• mount1.jpg
    mount1.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 154
  • mount2.jpg
    mount2.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 166
Back