How to label Instrument panel

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

gtae07

Has anyone considered using the techniques that the "sim pit" builders use to fabricate backlit panels and markings?
I have (thought about it anyway). Can't really do it till I have the panel all laid out (which has a whole list of "can't do until..." to go with it). But it's on the "like to have" list.

Deuelly

Log Member
Based on the reviews, there is a steep learning curve, with multiple failures ahead.
I take it you had no issues at all?
No problems at all. Watched a couple videos first though. Here's one that gives you an idea of what's involved.

dtnelson

Here's a blowup of the labels above some switches, made using the method I described:

upload_2019-8-29_8-1-47.png

Let me know if there are questions, happy to help.

Dave

TXFlyGuy

No problems at all. Watched a couple videos first though. Here's one that gives you an idea of what's involved.

Watched a few minutes of the video...got vertigo, almost started to vomit due to the dizziness induced by the continuous rapid camera movements. Had to stop watching.

We are going with Aircraft Engravers. Color samples of material coming soon.

Last edited:

dtnelson

I uploaded this a couple of days ago... not sure why it didn't make it to the forum. Sorry if this is a duplicate!

Anyway, here's an example from my panel of the "reverse printed" home made labels. The printing on the transparency is on the inside - so it holds up quite well.

upload_2019-8-30_13-24-24.png

TXFlyGuy

I just got these samples from Aircraft Engravers, and they are very nice. I think one of these colors will match our panel.

BF28708C-420E-4279-8A5B-0C735FCB2508.jpg

rdj

I always laugh when I see an electrical bus spelled 'buss'. A buss is a kiss. It's such a common misspelling in the electronics industry it's almost become a standard.

BJC

HBA Supporter
Yup. A common mistake, especially for those of us who grew up with “Buss” brand fuses.

BJC

TXFlyGuy

I always laugh when I see an electrical bus spelled 'buss'. A buss is a kiss. It's such a common misspelling in the electronics industry it's almost become a standard.
A mistake so common that it has become the accepted norm?
Like a wise old airline captain once told me..."When you live with the lame, you will limp."

Buss fuses made by Cooper Bussman.

rollerball

I used one of those pre-printed label sheets from which you cut the labels you need when I re-did my Savannah's overhead panel and thought the result was awful. When I re-did its main panel a few weeks ago I found it cheaper and much better to buy a little Brother hand-held self-adhesive label maker and printed my own in black on white. I think it looks far superior.

TXFlyGuy

I used one of those pre-printed label sheets from which you cut the labels you need when I re-did my Savannah's overhead panel and thought the result was awful. When I re-did its main panel a few weeks ago I found it cheaper and much better to buy a little Brother hand-held self-adhesive label maker and printed my own in black on white. I think it looks far superior.
Yes, these work well. I actually made my own labels for cassette tapes doing this same thing.

rdj

A mistake so common that it has become the accepted norm?
It was rather common five decades ago, back when I was a kid helping my dad solder our family's first color TV from a Heathkit. As an electronics engineer by trade, I very rarely see that spelling any more. Now our computers have 'USB buses' and 'PCIe buses', and commercial planes have an ARINC 429 bus, and so on and so forth. No longer the norm.

However, IIRC you're building a close replica of an older fighter. It certainly wouldn't hurt to check the original spelling, because it was a much more common (mis-)spelling many moons ago.

Like a wise old airline captain once told me..."When you live with the lame, you will limp."
I see you know my project team :)