• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

How often do you fly?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Floydr92

Hi, i'm interested to know how often you guys go flying? in terms of hours per year.

I know its an expensive hobby and as such i know people who are desperate to pass their test only to find they cant afford to build hours after.

I'm talking private flying here, if you are a commercial pilot then exclude your commercial hours and include private.

So, one example. my friend from college passed his PPL at the age of 16, 3 years ago. since, he has flown 20 hours, atleast 12 or 13 of which have been done this year only because we've been sharing the hire (even though i'm not yet a pilot, but i'm getting a feel for the air being in the cockpit while he's flying, and i've borrowed all his theory textbooks so i'm learning before i start paying an instructor) This is a situation i don't want to get into. i feel sorry for the guy! is this a common situation?

The thing is, i live a 5 minute walk from an airport, and my college workshops are in a hanger at another airport. So, every morning i get the bus 45 mins from one airport to the other. Within the 4 years of my course, i want to be flying to college! might take 20 mins in a straight line and i can go for an early morning detour for some fun. so the challenge is to get my plane so cheap to fly that it beats the bus! then i can fly as much as i want. likely? probably not by the time insurance is added.

So time for a second question... did you expect flying to be as expensive as it is when you first set out to start flying?

Back