• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

How much does it cost to fly (or) what's it going to cost me to go flying?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aeroknot

Hey guys and gals, I am new to this forum and new to the thought of flying in something other than a commercial airliner.

I was looking for a new hobby the other day and realized that alot of important people in my life have pilots licenses, or fly light sport or paramotors. My older brother has a pilots license and flies a tugger for hang gliders for a living. Step son also has a pilots license and flies light sport and rented single engine planes. My son flies paramotors, not sure what license is required for that. Friends that are commercial airline pilots and others that fly private and commercially.

I'm thinking to myself, what does all this cost???

Went to craigslist and searched for airplanes and aircraft and saw a few listings for $10k - $129k and an uncompleted KR2 kit with a VW engine for $5k. Thought $5k and I am a boatbuilder by trade, I could do that, but then figured between the wife and myself we weigh around 500 lbs. KR2 is not an option.

So it looks like a homebuild that fits us will probably cost $15k - $30k +++ to build. Used commercial built planes are going in that same price range +++.

Whats the total cost of getting started in this hobby/sport?
The cost of getting a light sport or regular pilots license
Cost of plane is relative and variable
Upkeep, annuals, insurance, fuel, hanger, shirts and hats with little planes on them (lol)

Has anyone compiled a list or spreadsheet with the cost of ownership/upkeep?

Thanks for your help, looking forward to learning and enjoying this new hobby/obsession.

John

Back