How I built my fuselage table/jig

Discussion in 'Workshop Tips and Secrets / Tools' started by Little Scrapper, Nov 15, 2016.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Nov 18, 2016 #21

BJC

BJC

BJC

I have a work bench that the top, storage shelf, and leg sheer panels are all attached with drywall screws. It has been moved more than 600 miles twice, is over 20 years old, and still is as tight as it was on day one.

BJC

2. Nov 18, 2016 #22

Little Scrapper

Little Scrapper

Little Scrapper

Well-Known Member HBA Supporter

I've been on 2 wheels for 40 years now. That will never stop. I'm up north at our farm for opening deer hunting right now. Been jumping motocross all day. Once it's in your blood...........

3. Nov 18, 2016 #23

rbrochey

rbrochey

rbrochey

You have fine tastes in tools judging by the photo's!! I learned a long time ago it pays to buy the best tools for the job... but you'll also find a few things from Harbor Freight in my shop that are okay too...

4. Nov 19, 2016 #24

Little Scrapper

Little Scrapper

Little Scrapper

I go to harbor freight for quite a few things. I've had to mod a few of the tools but many aren't so bad..

Last edited: Nov 19, 2016
  5. Nov 19, 2016 #25

rbrochey

rbrochey

rbrochey

I agree... I bought a couple Victor torches there (a 0 and a 2) and they seem just fine... I also buy from Northern Tools and have good luck with them too... but sometimes I need to buy from specialty tool makes...like hand help German palm planes, NOTHING shapes spruce better than one of these...

PLANESPalmFlatSoledPLP.jpg

SchneiderPlanePLRS0131fixCMYK.jpg

6. Nov 19, 2016 #26

Little Scrapper

Little Scrapper

Little Scrapper

That thumb plane on the bottom I used to build a hollow body jazz guitar similar to a Gretsch. Mine has a radius, I love little planes and plains.

7. Nov 19, 2016 #27

rbrochey

rbrochey

rbrochey

Me too... here's mine... built it with Dale Unger who learned archtop building with Bob Benedetto... I built it in Nazareth PA. Seems we have a few things in common! I know that's why I lean towards planes built with spruce!!

DCP_0037.JPG

DCP_0027.JPG

DCP_0005 (2).JPG

Pops likes this.
  8. Nov 20, 2016 #28

Little Scrapper

Little Scrapper

Little Scrapper

Benedetto makes a great instrument. You did a nice job!!!

9. Feb 5, 2017 #29

Little Scrapper

Little Scrapper

Little Scrapper

Here's a simple fuselage table for building a Hatz. By using engineered I joists it's straight and flat. The top sheet is wider than the bottom. Low input costs and quick to build makes this a great table.
    FB_IMG_1486263671187.jpg

10. Feb 5, 2017 #30

lr27

lr27

lr27

I have a work bench I made that's made of 1/2" ply glued on either side of 2" of foam. It's not as flat as yours, because I built it on the back deck. But starting from a table like yours.... I've sometimes thought of gluing up a table like this on top of thick ice, but that brings logistic problems and a dependence on the weather.

Little Scrapper likes this.
  11. Feb 6, 2017 #31

deskpilot

deskpilot

deskpilot

Morphett Vale, South Australia. Just south of Adel
    Love it's simplicity. You obviously believe in the KISS principle.

12. Feb 6, 2017 #32

Little Scrapper

Little Scrapper

Little Scrapper

That photo is not mind, just to be clear. The original post link shows my table. But yeah, I'm a plumber so I keep things simple.

13. Jun 21, 2017 #33

Little Scrapper

Little Scrapper

Little Scrapper

I'm actually gonna add to this post a few things concerning supports on the table for holding the fuselage sides. I just got back from the shop from a work session and built some uprights after some thought on this topic. I know, this is my table thread, but I do think it belongs here because the table itself allowed me the opportunity to do some jigging based on the 8" depth.

I brought up the question of how to support the fuselage sides for my Cassutt, there's no flat top like most fuselages. Again, after some thought here's my solution on the next post after this one. First, here's my table showing the thickness for some review. It's this thickness that I used as my idea for upright supports.....in the next post.
    20170419_165655.jpg

Joe Fisher likes this.
  14. Jun 21, 2017 #34

Little Scrapper

Little Scrapper

Little Scrapper

I needed something cheap, strong, dead simple, and available. The Cassutt fuselage is such a funky shape that I knew I needed something with sides to it. Something where I can clamp boards to it and susspend things. I figured it's not necessary to make these supports square, plumb, and level but if I made them in a jig they would, just by nature of the jig, come out square.

Wood was out. Nothing wrong with wood, I just don't have much scrap left these days. I did manage to scrape up enough 1" square tubing @ .085 thickness to do the trick. I'm using 1" angle iron @ 1/8" thick for mounting tabs.

The idea is speed and repeatability so these are quick to make. This also means using no filler for welding. Filler takes time and heat management and because these are temporary I don't need to make a big deal out of this. So no filler. TIG is very fast with the right heat, no pulse and correct amps for a "stitch" type of stroke. About 3 seconds per weld. Here is what I did.

5 stations. Built a fast jig from crap wood laying around. Jig builds 2 at a time. Each unit is 23" long. Bottom angle is 6" long. Tabs are 1" long. Gang mark and drill before cutting because drilling small tabs sucks.
    20170620_192207.jpg

Jig built for 2 units at a time 20170620_193731.jpg

Hit the tabs. No filler. 95 amps using a stitch motion.
    20170620_195815.jpg

I welded just two adjacent sides not 3. Remember, it's temporary.
    20170620_202033.jpg

Flip it over and hit the back side. Turn amps up to 100 and intentionally undercut it because it needs to face the table.....no bumps. Again, no filler. Angle torch towards the 1/8" angle and just bleed the thin wall square tube in.
    20170620_201455.jpg

Next post is mounting it.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2017
    Joe Fisher likes this.
  15. Jun 21, 2017 #35

Little Scrapper

Little Scrapper

Little Scrapper

Using my favorite handy dandy straight edge I drilled it to the table perpendicular to the side.
    20170620_202414.jpg

With the straight edge firmly mounted. I grabbed a square, pushed it against the straight edge and screwed it in. Repeated the other side.
    20170620_202648.jpg

For kicks I checked the perpendicular side to see how plumb the table was as well as my welded upright. A hair off but not bad considering it's rather irrelevant. I'll be using a wire and squares anyhow.
    20170620_202943.jpg

Lastly, the top. Like the rest of the parts I spent no time squaring the cuts. I just used my good eye and cut them straight by feel. The top piece just sets on top. 3 welds, no filler, skip the inside corner. 90 amps and weld fast as schit. Stitch it.

That's it. 4 more to go.
    20170620_204806.jpg

So the table lends itself to this kind of thing, thick sides give you options. I prefer welding over wood, and it worked out great.

Joe Fisher likes this.
  16. Jun 21, 2017 #36

Little Scrapper

Little Scrapper

Little Scrapper

Sorry for the flipped photos.

20170620_215119.jpg

20170620_215205.jpg

20170620_215241.jpg

Last edited: Jun 21, 2017
    max_burke and Joe Fisher like this.
  17. Jun 21, 2017 #37

wsimpso1

wsimpso1

wsimpso1

Scrapper,

You do nice fixtures.

Not sure if I got what you are doing here. It looks like you created a rectangular frame that the fuselage sides will fit inside so you can align and hold the sides at a particular fuselage station. Correct? How are you establishing the spacing and alignment at other stations? Are you building more frames at other stations or doing fixtures at the ends or...?

Billski

Little Scrapper likes this.
  18. Jun 21, 2017 #38

Little Scrapper

Little Scrapper

Little Scrapper

Billski, honestly, I don't know. Well, at least I'm not really sure what the final product will be.

I just decided I was done thinking about it and needed to come up with something. The big dilemma here was the final fuselage shape and how to hold it while bending. A Cassutt is unlike other fuselages in that nothing is really parallel or perpendicular to a mating part. I don't think it will be hard, just very awkward.

So I figured it was best to make stations that are wider & taller than the fuselage so I can clamp, screw, bolt, or weld braces to the uprights. And I figured 5 of these should do the trick? Locations to be determined, because again, I really don't know. Haha.

What I do know is that I will have a string/wire running down it. I know the left side and the right side are exact mirror images. And I know the firewall and the rudder post are parallel to each other.

One option it to use wood, and clamp to the uprights like this perhaps?
    20170621_091028.jpg

Being a plumber and owner I get all sorts or brackets and straps at cost, which are pennies, so this is possible to screw to the wood?

Or, I could clamp or weld 20170621_091153.jpg angle iron to the uprights in any direction I want. This could be an option as well. Still not sure.
    20170621_091123.jpg

The uprights were just a way to take action. I get antsie if I think too much or too long so figured I just do "something" to keep the ball rolling. Besudes the 4 remaining upright stations I plan to build a mini upright that will capture the firewall and act as a stop for the fuselage sides to butt up against. It will only be a few inches tall and the string/wire will be held on it. I literally just thought of that now.

Joe Fisher and wsimpso1 like this.
  19. Jun 21, 2017 #39

BJC

BJC

BJC

That table / jig deserves more than one fuselage.

BJC

edit: I forsee a future partnership for you and Raceair.

20. Jun 21, 2017 #40

Little Scrapper

Little Scrapper

Little Scrapper

I built 2 sets of sides. I kinda regret it now, however. 1 has proven to be all I can handle at the moment.