• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Hornet max engine size.....why ???

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MadProfessor8138

So,I have a question about the Hornet gyro that I can't seem to work out in my head.
The plans specifically point out that a Rotax 503 is the largest engine allowed.
For the life of me I can't figure out why that is.
I have always had the belief that the more power you have on a gyro the better off you are.

I'm spitballing here....but could any of these be the reason for limiting the Hornet to a 55hp Rotax 503 ?

1. The airframe won't handle the stress put on it by the extra thrust of a stronger engine.

2. Too much forward thrust could possibly override the main rotor blades and cause the gyro to pitch nose up whenever power is applied.

3. It's a CG issue with the larger engine.

Kevin

Back