Hello All!!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by hawaiianreef, Dec 12, 2019.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Dec 12, 2019 #1

hawaiianreef

hawaiianreef

hawaiianreef

Hello everyone. I'm David Miller and am planning a build for 2021.
    I'm from Hawaii (Oahu) and moved to Utah a few years back. Planning another move, most likely to Wisconsin, in the summer. So I'm looking for something to start around 2021ish.
    I'm a woodworker, and would like to follow that path. I am more excited about building than flying so a scratch build from plans isn't out of the question. This will be my first plane, and I'm leaning towards the Pietenpol Air Camper. I would rather go with a closed cockpit, but the reputation of the Piet, and the large communal support makes it a hard one to turn away from. But in no means is a no brainers either.
    That being said, I'd really appreciate any advice at this time about the Piet and especially other candidates that might change my choice.
    Thanks in advance,
    David Miller

Topaz likes this.
  2. Dec 12, 2019 #2

bmcj

bmcj

bmcj

Well-Known Member HBA Supporter

Welcome to HBA David. Hawai’i to Utah to Wisconsin? I guess ‘climate change’ is real, at least to some of us! :)

One advantage to being in Wisconsin is that some of the kit and plans sellers are there so, depending on your choice, you might have a local source for help and advice.

As for the Piet, nothing says you can’t add a canopy for winter flying, and remove it for the summer. That being said, a properly plumbed, heated, and configured open cockpit can be made reasonably comfortable for cold weather flying. Go sit in one first (this goes for all designs)... not everyone can fit or negotiate the contortions for getting in and out.

3. Dec 12, 2019 #3

BJC

BJC

BJC

Well-Known Member HBA Supporter

Welcome, David.

There are old threads about “what should I build” and many suggestions. Use the Search feature.

A key consideration is what you want to do with the plane after it is finished. If you can get a copy of the December 2019 Kitplanes, you can find designs to consider.

BJC

4. Dec 13, 2019 #4

Topaz

Topaz

Topaz

Super Moderator Staff Member

Welcome to the forums, David!

Lots of information here, both on the Piet and the process of choosing an airplane to build. Give our newly-repaired search function a shot! :)

5. Dec 13, 2019 #5

don january

don january

don january

Hi Dave. All wood plane, My goodness you have such a high quantity to choose from. The Piet is a great one to get done but in truth there is such a large amount to research and pick from. I'm glad to see you at the Forum and hope we all can persuade you to build what we want with lots of pictures:) welcome aboard. Don