HBA 2.0 Coming Soon!

Discussion in 'Hangar Flying' started by Jman, Jan 2, 2007.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Jan 15, 2007 #41

orion

orion

orion

I like it - everything is now working fine and the newest format is much better about getting more text and/or answers on one page without having to scroll.

And to CJ above, I use the latest version of Explorer.

2. Jan 16, 2007 #42

CAB

CAB

CAB

I personally liked the "old" HBA just fine, but the new version does look better. Thank you for all your efforts then and now, Jake.

Annnnnnnnd.....

CONGRATULATIONS on your checkride.:ban:

3. Jan 16, 2007 #43

Jman

Jman

Jman

Site Developer

Thanks CAB. I've got my first flight as PIC this Friday. Simple 3.0hr day flight - but I can't wait.

The old HBA was really at the limits of what it could do. Hopefully the benefits of the the "New" HBA will become apparent as I start to add features. Right now, just working out the bugs is my main priority.

Please let me know if you come across any problem or annoyance, no matter how small. I'll start a to-do / wish list in the first post of this thread based on recommendations I receive.

4. Jan 16, 2007 #44

Rhino

Rhino

Rhino

It's a political site, and it's not mine. I'm just an admin there. I'll send you a link via PM, as I don't want to introduce politics here.

5. Jan 16, 2007 #45

Rhino

Rhino

Rhino

I notice threads are not being added to the "subscribed threads" list when you post in them. If a member goes into their Options and changes the "Default Thread Subscription Mode", any thread you post in will be added to your "subscribed threads" list. That way, going to User CP will display a list of all threads you have posted in if there are new posts in those threads. It helps you keep up with topics you have posted on. You can choose to individually unsubscribe from any thread at any time. The options for "Default Thread Subscription Mode" will also allow you to receive e-mails whenever new posts are made in a thread you are subscribed to, if you want it that way. I found those e-mails to be annoying, so I just set mine to no e-mail notification.

Jman, if you want, you can set up subscriptions as the default by having registration options set to "subscribe to thread with no notification". I find it to be a very handy feature for keeping track of stuff.

6. Jan 17, 2007 #46

Jman

Jman

Jman

Site Developer

Good description of the subscription feature. I highly recommend it. Yep, you're right, it was not the default. It is now though. Thanks.

7. Jan 17, 2007 #47

Jman

Jman

Jman

Site Developer

I just changed everyones posting options to the What You See Is What You Get (WYSIWYG) text editor. If you already had this selected in your user control panel, you will not notice a difference. If You did not have it selected you will now notice that as you type text the changes you make to the font will take effect as you type instead of having to type in the BB codes. You can also select text and then apply the changes as well. If you don't care for this, just go to your user control panel and change it in your options page.
    I personally love it.

8. Jan 17, 2007 #48

Topaz

Topaz

Topaz

Super Moderator Staff Member

Well done on your new rating, Jake! Take care 'over there' and know that we're behind you all the way.

P.S. - in that 'pruning' process, let me make the request to keep the poor, long neglected Soaring topic intact. I'll see if I can't drum up some threads for that. ;-)

9. Jan 17, 2007 #49

Rhino

Rhino

Rhino

A word of warning on WYSIWYG. If any member uses a recent Microsoft product (such as Word 2003) to compose posts, the post will automatically include Microsoft smart tags. Those things can really screw up a post. Many web sites you may copy text from can also include these smart tags. There are two options to avoid this:

1. You can use the "Standard Editor". It includes all of the functions you used above, such as bold, underlining and color, but it doesn't reproduce smart tags unless you deliberately paste them in.

2. You can disable smart tags in your Microsoft products. Here are the instructions for Word XP, 2002 and 2003:

1. Select "Tools" then "AutoCorrect Options".
    2. When the "AutoCorrect" multi-tabbed dialog box appears, select the "Smart Tags" tab.
    3. Uncheck "Label text with smart tags".
    4. Uncheck "Show Smart Tag Action Buttons".
    5. Click "OK" to close the dialog box.
    6. Select "Tools" then "Options".
    7. When the multi-tabbed dialog-box "Options" appears, click the "View" tab.
    8. Uncheck "Smart tags".
    9. Press "OK" to close the dialog box.

http://malektips.com/word_2003_0018.html

10. Jan 18, 2007 #50

orion

orion

orion

Any reason the Auto Conversions thread appears locked? Or is it that a wrong icon was assigned to the category?

11. Jan 18, 2007 #51

orion

orion

orion

Oh, never mind. The category is locked to the specific engine types posted but within those threads the discussion is open. OK, I got it.

12. Jan 18, 2007 #52

Jman

Jman

Jman

Site Developer

Thanks for the tip. I tried it with Word 2002 out of my Office XP with smart tags enabled. Nothing happened but like you said it's a newer version problem. I should add that tip to the FAQ and or explain it next to the text editor option during registration. Thanks.

*UPDATE* The photo area is coming along slowly. It's taking way too much time and effort than it should however. But it will get there some day soon.

*REQUEST* Please either email me, PM me, or post here any instance when a post is lost due to using the quick reply. I need to get an idea how widespread the issue is and any commonality between the folks that are affected. I'm using the quick reply any time I post just to see if I can catch it as well. I'll update the counter below as a way to keep track. Thanks.

# OF DROPPED POSTS DUE TO QUICK REPLY: 5

13. Feb 12, 2007 #53

Midniteoyl

Midniteoyl

Midniteoyl

I personally like the new software here... loads TONS faster on my puny 56K.
    Quick reply is a dream....

Thanks Jake!!

14. Oct 6, 2008 #54

Jman

Jman

Jman

Site Developer

Well...It's been about a year and a half since I started this thread and as you can see I haven't gotten too far on the big changes I've promised. However, I do have some of the latest updates running on a test site I have set up on my laptop. It's looking pretty darn good in my opinion.

Here are some of the changes you should see within the next week or so.

1. User Photo Albums. Unfortunately the original HBA photo albums had a meltdown and were unrecoverable. The new albums are much more simple and will be better integrated with your user profile. You can upload up to 60 photos per album and create as many albums as you like. Each photo lists code to easily embed the photos from your album into your posts in full size instead of thumbnails.

2. Customizable User Profiles. Each user will be able to customize their own profile page. You will be able to change the colors, fonts, and backgrounds. There is also a messaging system that other users can use to leave comments and discussion in your profile page.

3. Completely Revamped Look and Feel. Too many changes to list here but if you don't care for the new look, you will have the option to keep the current look and switch back and forth as you like.

I haven't forgotten about the other improvements I've promised. They are still on the way and should be here soon....:gig:

15. Oct 6, 2008 #55

rtfm

rtfm

rtfm

Hi,
    Well done, Jake. We who use the forum really appreciate your efforts. I have been a member of a number of online forums and this has to be the best I have ever had the privilege of visiting.

Good goin' mate...

Duncan

16. Oct 6, 2008 #56

Jman

Jman

Jman

Site Developer

Thanks Duncan, I apprecitate. Should be just a couple of more days and it will go live.