• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Glassed my way into a corner

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

caribeanbound

I live on a 44 foot sailboat near West Palm Beach
I am building a composite version of a High wing pusher design ( Janowski J1-B. I lengthened the tail 15 inches by splitting the fuse design down the middle and widening it by 10cm ( aprox 4in). I have built the bottom and sides of the fuse and assembled with bulkheads. I am now ready to close the tail cone section by adding the pre glassed top sections. I am trying to figure out exactly how to get the cant strips used on the bottom as longerons glassed with tapes onto the inside of the top?? Do I need to worry about this. Could I just epxy flox the preglassed panels on and glass over the outside. The assembly looks so overdone now that I suspect that I do not to worry about the upper corners having the glass taped cant strip. I am hoping for someone with experience to look at my design and offer an engineering solution. The original used a single 2mm play skin with 10mm sq. longerons. They also installed three simple box bulkheads with crosses to add torsional strenght. I used 3/4 foam with two layers of 7 1/2 oz bid layed on the interior of both the sides and the bottom . I them assembled the sides to the bottom with 3/4 inch foam cant strips in the corners and tabbed them with a 2in and then a 4in tape. The bottom glass runs to the outer skin. interior bulkheads were made up of foam and glass and tabbed to the bottom and sides with a floxed corner fillet and a single layer of 2in tape. I will be glassing the outside with at least one layer of 7 1/2 oz bid. This plane will have an empty weight around 350 pounds.
I think that it is more than strong enough at this point to just flox down the top panels and glass the outside. I made the top panels in three pieces and could probably (with much cursing make up the upper corners the same as the bottom. I could with much difficulty reach in through the lighteneng holes to do the work. What do you think, Stong enough by inspection???composite plane interior glass 019.jpgcomposite plane interior glass 022.jpgcomposite plane interior glass 002.jpgThere are three layers of 7 1/2 oz bid on both the bottom and sides back to the first tail cone bulkhead. I am not up the preverbial river at this point. I have found that if I stop to analyse things to much that nothing will ever get built. I am very cautiously charging ahead with the design and getting it built. Please just a little help without to much criticism.Although all opinions are welcome.Laughing is allowed and somewhat expected.

Back