Flying illegally!

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

Doran Jaffas

I can identify with those statements also. So many things are wrong with the FAA and other government agencies. When I started flying in the 50's I had a lot of respect for the newly formed agency, the FAA. They lost a lot of that respect from me by 1973. The slide continues to this day.

There are many good reasons why so many people are so resentful of authority that causes disrespect and failure to follow the regulations. On the other hand there are also many good reasons to respect authority and to follow the regulations when the authority is responsive to the needs of the citizens.

Is there any doubt why the country, any country, is so divided and resentful.

Full disclosure: JEDI - Justice, Equality, Democracy and Independence, I sincerely hope this does not get me banned from this great web sight but if it does, so be it.

You all have a nice day.
I don't know why that would get you banned from the website. you bring up some very good points and their voicing but I think many of us are thinking. I will stand with you on this. I think you were spot on although I've only been flying since the eighties.

Brünner

HBA Supporter
Not as friendly as you think, you need a a lisence to fly a microlight that alone will set you around 5k€ you also need to register your aircraft and have pay an insurence.
Thats allot to pay to fly an airplane that cost 1500€ to build and fly it just for fun.
This is the worst, dumbest reason to save money.
You have no idea how cheap your licence and insurance are until you have an accident.

djmcfall

There is not much correlation between an FAA medical exam and being in an acceptable medical condition to safely pilot an airplane. That is an AME’s statement.

What scares me is meeting a 40,000 pound motor home, towing a 5,000 SUV, on a two lane road with a closing speed of 110 MPH and a 5 foot clearance.

BJC
As a CFI I have to be careful what I say on social media, but who knows, at 63 I may be in that category some day. I own and fly a weight shift trike, and I may just go with an ultralight when the time comes.

I retired from the Idaho State Police and spent ten years as a Motor Carrier Safety Officer, and some of those 90 year old 45’ diesel pusher drivers scared me as well, but never was on a major crash with one, so they are either good drivers or very lucky.😁

Yellowhammer

HBA Supporter
Born In Alabama, reside: Louisiana (unfortunately)
And the fact that in order to go to any other airport than were the training took place you need more training and sign offs. The FAA in recent years has decided the student pilot cert is for training only and takes a dim view of it being abused. you may fly part 103 with no certificates or get a sport pilots certificate. the sport pilot only takes 20 hrs of training and isnt hard.

Agreed, however the 20 hour is a minimum of hours required. I wouldn't say it is easy. Really all depends on how the instructor relates the information being taught. I would venture to say that most sport pilot privileges are earned with a total of 40 hours give or take a few instruction time.

Like someone else mentioned, not everybody is meant to be a pilot.

speedracer

He had enough money after the divorce to get a pilot’s certificate?

BJC
He's still happily married. What I didn't mention was that when he was licenseless he would routinely fly to his favorite fishing lake 30 miles north of the Canadian border and land on the grass strip adjacent to the lake. He'd just turn the transponder off and never got busted for that anyway.

BJC

HBA Supporter
I retired from the Idaho State Police and spent ten years as a Motor Carrier Safety Officer, and some of those 90 year old 45’ diesel pusher drivers scared me as well, but never was on a major crash with one, so they are either good drivers or very lucky.😁
Yup, the dead people are the ones who ran off the road to avoid a collision with the RV whose driver motored on in total oblivion.

BJC.

Dan Thomas

Agreed, however the 20 hour is a minimum of hours required. I wouldn't say it is easy. Really all depends on how the instructor relates the information being taught.
It's not all the instructor. That student has to want to learn and he has to be willing to study. The first thing I was taught when I was taking my instructor training was this: "There is not really any such thing as teaching. There is only helping people to learn." And in the following years I saw that borne out repeatedly. The ones who were willing to do the work were successful. The lazy ones blamed the instructor.

There are many who think they can buy that license, since they've often had everything else bought for them.

I need to lose some weight. No amount of money I send to Weight Watchers will reduce my weight. I have to exercise and eat less and eat better stuff. It's not Weight Watchers' fault if I fail to slim down.

Kiwi303

I need to lose some weight. No amount of money I send to Weight Watchers will reduce my weight. I have to exercise and eat less and eat better stuff. It's not Weight Watchers' fault if I fail to slim down.
Intermittent fasting works for me, just stick to eating in a 5 hour window and just water/tea/coffee/sugarfree drinks outside that.

So much easier than calorie counting.

Just got to be paired with being normally active, not slumped on the couch with the boob tube blaring all day.