Flying illegally!

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

cdlwingnut

HBA Supporter
Log Member
Nothing illegal about flying with a student certificate after a few hours of dual and a sign off.
True, but you have to get it resigned every 90 days which usually means a check ride.
And the fact that in order to go to any other airport than were the training took place you need more training and sign offs. The FAA in recent years has decided the student pilot cert is for training only and takes a dim view of it being abused. you may fly part 103 with no certificates or get a sport pilots certificate. the sport pilot only takes 20 hrs of training and isnt hard.

djmcfall

I began flight training in 1972, very few not complying with the regulations, at least that I knew of. Fast forward to today, I have been a CFI for 35 years, I have caught several students taking a friend for a ride, and one who when I got ready to solo him he tells me “Oh, I done that already right after I bought the 182”. When I asked him how that turned out he told me he had one of his buddies with him and as soon as they took off he was scared shitless. Took him 5 tries to get it back on the ground. Once I find out their training with me is over. Several old pilots who can’t pass a medical exam are flying their own plane with no medical, expired flight review, no annual inspection and a few with expired registration.

PTAirco

Flying in the US does not bring that much attention, and there is plenty of space. Europe, automatically people perk up and wonder how much money you got and pay attention. Some little hamlet and appears an airplane, people are curious. You can possibly bust borders way easier. These countries want their tax money and they will have their hand out. It just escalated because you are not in the system.
Not sure where you get your uninformed, biased opinions on "Europe" . You can't make statements about legalities in Europe; maybe you're aware that Europe isn't a single country?

And in the US they don't want your tax money? I get taxed plenty here but unlike "Europe" I get very little benefit out the taxes I pay here.

TFF

Europe is not a single country, but EU is a mindset, is it not? Just likeUS is. Just like every discussion 80% right is not good enough, even if it was a vote it would pass, so I’m off to Europe to ask every citizen so I can’t make a generalization that, although may be accurate enough for this conversion, because it is a conversation about a whole lot of what ifs, will be hole heartedly correct. We dare not generalize for the sake of brevity. We dare not generalize for conversion. If we need data to talk I will hold my tongue , but I expect everyone else to do the same. PhD references only please, otherwise it’s all not helpful.

proppastie

Log Member
FBI, US Marshall, DEA, Customs
In the heightened security atmosphere since 911 I wounder about how much longer people will be able to fly illegally.....Where I am in NJ with the airspace restrictions I am always on radar.....One needs ADSB just leave my airport......Part 103 and "no electrical" presently by rule do not but I can see that change as soon as some fool with no ADSB gets too close to DC or now Wilmington. Soon (or maybe now) there will be ADSB coverage over the whole USA, drones and model aircraft may soon be required to have it.....

BJC

HBA Supporter
Several old pilots who can’t pass a medical exam are flying their own plane with no medical
There is not much correlation between an FAA medical exam and being in an acceptable medical condition to safely pilot an airplane. That is an AME’s statement.

What scares me is meeting a 40,000 pound motor home, towing a 5,000 SUV, on a two lane road with a closing speed of 110 MPH and a 5 foot clearance.

BJC

Angusnofangus

What scares me is meeting a 40,000 pound motor home, towing a 5,000 SUV, on a two lane road with a closing speed of 110 MPH and a 5 foot clearance.

BJC
And the guy driving that motor home had never driven anything larger than a pickup before he bought the land yacht and took off across the country. Legally, I might add.

BJC

HBA Supporter
And the guy driving that motor home had never driven anything larger than a pickup before he bought the land yacht and took off across the country. Legally, I might add.
The high end motor home dealers around here insist on a driving course ( basic though it may be) and have the new owner set it up, spend the night in it, and close it up to roadworthy before leaving the lot.

But, lots of others don’t.

BJC

Turd Ferguson

Dennis Brooks of Hummelbird fame had a run in with the FAA. They did a random ramp check and found he only had a student pilot certificate and he had landed at an airport where he not have a logbook endorsement. Short version, the FAA didn't have a problem with him flying on a student pilot certificate. They did have a problem with him not having proper endorsements. So in addition to an administrative action, they recommended either getting the endorsements or getting the sport pilot certificate with emphasis on the latter.

b7gwap

As an American who used to live in France, I will admit to my countrymen struggling at spelling our melting pot of a language. However, I have seen with my own eyes the degree to which the French people also butcher their own spelling. I don’t blame them, French is so chock full of homonyms because of the pronunciation rules that it’d be tough to grow up in it and get it right all the time. Just like English. :)
Also, I agree that flying “dirty” Europe is a very bad idea. The EU has centuries of precedence to brutally enforce their bureaucracy if needed. And they don’t have a habit of finding exceptions. Don’t do it. Just get your license. It will make you a better pilot AND citizen.

Pilot-34

Most of me is in IL but my hearts in Alaska
There is not much correlation between an FAA medical exam and being in an acceptable medical condition to safely pilot an airplane. That is an AME’s statement.

BJC
lol I do this for a living.
End it always fascinates me the guy that can’t keep a 5 foot wide car in a 14 foot wide lane on the interstate thanks he’s fully capable Of driving a 10 foot wide motorhome down 9 foot wide lanes meeting traffic in the mountains!
Yes that motorhome may be 8 1/2 feet wide at the body but don’t forget you have mirrors that hang out a foot on each side it’s the same with a semi truck the only difference is that truck driver probably uses those skills every day at least five days a week.

A weird little quirk in the law is that an untrained person can buy that motorhome and drive across Wyoming and nobody will look at him twice .
The Experienced and trained professional Has to stop at the port of entry and buy a permit for the over width area of the awning hanging on the side of it!

rollerball

Europe is not a single country, but EU is a mindset, is it not? Just likeUS is. Just like every discussion 80% right is not good enough, even if it was a vote it would pass, so I’m off to Europe to ask every citizen so I can’t make a generalization that, although may be accurate enough for this conversion, because it is a conversation about a whole lot of what ifs, will be hole heartedly correct. We dare not generalize for the sake of brevity. We dare not generalize for conversion. If we need data to talk I will hold my tongue , but I expect everyone else to do the same. PhD references only please, otherwise it’s all not helpful.
Not looking to start a firestorm here - life's too short. But when it comes to aviation, there is no such thing as 'an EU mindset'. Every country in Europe (which is NOT the same as the EU) and including EU members, has its own set of rules and regulations which often differ greatly. One of the reasons I retired to France despite not being an EU lover or supporter (quite the contrary as I believe strongly in and support Brexit) is because the regulatory regime, especially for ULMs (ultralights) is among the most, if not the most, relaxed in Europe. My medical ( a brief examination and declaration by my GP) lasts for life. I can maintain my own aircraft which are registered but at essentially zero annual cost at my discretion and without oversight, unlike most other European countries including the UK. Single seat third-party insurance costs peanuts (dual with full passenger cover costs more but is still quite affordable). The 'paperwork' demands for ULMs in France are minimal, almost non-existent. The list goes on.
This is why I can tell you that the original posting by this new member and this thread is a troll.
One final question. Ask yourself, why on earth would a Frenchman write in pidgin English on an American web site (using Americanisms like 'allot') asking about flying in his own country, which few members of the said American web site would know anything about?

Last edited:

wktaylor

As I recall, my first private pilot's certificate in 1971 came with a clear legend-statement printed across the top of the card, roughly like this...

"The holder of this certificate is authorized to exercise the PRIVILAGE of airmanship"

My flight instructor... Dad, a high time ex military pilot... explained that this wording unambiguously meant that I had been granted a legal/revocable PRIVILAGE… NEVER A GOD-GIVEN RIGHT... to operate an aircraft in the USA... and had to do so under the governing USA rules and regulations as a private pilot.

IF I had to deviate from any governing rule, law or principle while flying, I HAD TO HAVE A DAMMMM GOOD REASON to do so. In the air good order and discipline is essential... otherwise people die and good airplanes and property are damaged needlessly and senselessly.

PredragVasic

Ask yourself, why on earth would a Frenchman write in pidgin English on an American web site (using Americanisms like 'allot') asking about flying in his own country, which few members of the said American web site would know anything about?
Perhaps because there aren't any French language forums for amateur-built aircraft enthusiasts? Or, if there, by some miracle, are such forums, there's tons of dust settling there, with little activity?

I'm sure that most members here come from the US, but there is a non-negligible number who are from all corners of the planet. People build airplanes everywhere around the world, and thanks to the omnipresence of the internet, they can now seek answers to questions that other builders have encountered before. Local EAA (or equivalent) chapter is no longer the extent of the available resources; reasonable proficiency in English is the only thing standing between them and possible answers. Forums like Vans Airforce, Team Kitfox, Bearhawk Forum, BD-4 forum, and, of course, this one, offer an enormous wealth of information from living, breathing builders who have already done it all.

I'm always a bit reluctant to dismiss posts as trolls; there may be language or cultural barrier that makes them seem suspicious to some of us. It isn't like the subject was some incendiary issue (such as auto conversions) igniting flame wars....

speedracer

A friend of mine flew for 10 years with no license. In that time period he wrecked three Tri-pacers. The third one was at the Oregon coast, landing on a beach, rolling onto soft sand and a tip over. The REALLY bad news was that he had an 18 year old girl with him and thanks to Channel Two News his wife (and four kids) knew all about it before he got home. Anyway, he finally buckled down and got his license. He told me that he thought that made him a better pilot since he hasn't wrecked any airplanes since.

cluttonfred

HBA Supporter
My thoughts was that the OP might be an American or other nationality living in France, not a French national. I stand by what I said about France's friendliness towards microlights, in some ways a better implementation of the spirit of light sport aircraft and sport pilot than the U.S. versions.

jedi

Sahuarita Arizona, Renton Washington, USA
I began flight training in 1972, very few not complying with the regulations, at least that I knew of. Fast forward to today, I have been a CFI for 35 years, I have caught several students taking a friend for a ride, and one who when I got ready to solo him he tells me “Oh, I done that already right after I bought the 182”. When I asked him how that turned out he told me he had one of his buddies with him and as soon as they took off he was scared shitless. Took him 5 tries to get it back on the ground. Once I find out their training with me is over. Several old pilots who can’t pass a medical exam are flying their own plane with no medical, expired flight review, no annual inspection and a few with expired registration.
I can identify with those statements also. So many things are wrong with the FAA and other government agencies. When I started flying in the 50's I had a lot of respect for the newly formed agency, the FAA. They lost a lot of that respect from me by 1973. The slide continues to this day.

There are many good reasons why so many people are so resentful of authority that causes disrespect and failure to follow the regulations. On the other hand there are also many good reasons to respect authority and to follow the regulations when the authority is responsive to the needs of the citizens.

Is there any doubt why the country, any country, is so divided and resentful.

Full disclosure: JEDI - Justice, Equality, Democracy and Independence, I sincerely hope this does not get me banned from this great web sight but if it does, so be it.

You all have a nice day.

Last edited:

Doran Jaffas

Agreed. He is probably from the US and trying to ascertain information incognito.
I'm from the United States if you want to call us United States actually. That would be up for debate right now. Haven't seen enough of my own country to want to fly around someone else's. No offense to anyone of other countries or nationalities. I have seen some beautiful photos of Europe and would love to go there someday but again I have too much to do here right now. that other guy is a spammer than he needs to be pulled.