Fly for under 20k!

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

cluttonfred

HBA Supporter
I have been a member of the UK's Light Aviation Association (LAA) for almost a decade now, and here is an example why. This month's Light Aviation magazine cover's story is about...affordable flying. Vintage ragwings, homebuilts, you name it. OK, the 20k is in pounds sterling, so more like $25k USD, but still. When's the last time EAA's Sport Aviation magazine put that kind of focus on affordable flying? Link to the article, available free even to non-members, is below.
unnamed.jpg

akwrencher

HBA Supporter
Kitplanes a couple issues back featured kits for under 25k. That's not completed cost though.

Wayne

Log Member
Well of course they will have a Taylorcraft on the cover of any magazine talking about the best bang for the buck... it's been that way for... ohhh, let me see now... 85 years!
Guess what I just bought for < $20 K VB :) A mint condition one that has been named Daisy! I'll share some pics when she gets here - waiting for the registration back from FAA (6 weeks behind)

ToddK

HBA Supporter
A clean Champ can be had for 20K easy. I went in with a few guys and bought one for $10, and fixed up pretty nice planning on flipping it. It turned out so nice that nobody wants to sell it now. The Aeronca Chief is the most under priced airplane in aviation. I have seen several perfect with recent fabric sell for 16K. I have seen old beater tripacers in annual and flying go for less then 20K. A few weeks ago a gentleman a few hangers down sold his very nice A75 Headwind for $6k. Some kid flew down from Florida, hopped in and called later to let he know he made it home with no problems.

Lots of deals out there if all you want is a 1 or 2 person airplane and don't need to go fast. Most of us fly alone most of the time.

way_up_noth

Was following this thread..

I could not find any pictures/links of a A75 Headwind....is it known as something else

Hephaestus

Lots of deals out there if all you want is a 1 or 2 person airplane and don't need to go fast.
You guys are completely forgetting this forums intention... :)

KR2s have had an oddly weak price for going on 2 decades now. Still one of the fastest VW's.

Tailwinds are in there too, tend to be a bit higher priced.

Q2 kits and hangar queens seem to have been popping up frequently since lockdown. Price on some of those has been in the rock bottom range.

jedi

Sahuarita Arizona, Renton Washington, USA
Sadly I recall as a teanager reading a similar article that I believe was in "Air Facts" about a $1,000 Fliver AKA Piper Cub.

A few months ago I helped a friend obtain a give away Champ with floats and a trailer. It was a nice airplane needing lots of help.

cluttonfred

HBA Supporter
I was going to post a link to Don Stewart's site www.stewartaircraft.com but it's no longer there. 😟 Is anyone in touch with him? I had a set of Headwind plans and regrettably sold them on about ten years ago. Very clear, well done plans and very cute little plane. Here's a nice article on the Headwind including comments from Don Stewart from EAA Experimenter magazine several years ago.

Attachments

Last edited:

ToddK

HBA Supporter
I noticed that too. After looking the plane over, I liked it so much I went to purchase plans, and the site was gone.

billyvray

The site was changed recently. It has a new address. I cannot relocate, but if I find it, I'll post. Not sure if I saw it here or on facebook....

Kyle Boatright

I ran into a buddy at the airport last weekend. He was selling a pretty decent looking Tomahawk he'd bought for his daughter. It had ADSB out installed and he was looking for ~$20K. That's a wonderful airplane for the money. You can even park it outside...

Victor Bravo

Guess what I just bought for < $20 K VB :) A mint condition one that has been named Daisy! I'll share some pics when she gets here - waiting for the registration back from FAA (6 weeks behind)
When you get it, PM me and I will share some useful ideas, info, and suggestions. I've owned four Taylorcrafts, I know them reasonably well.

billyvray

The site was changed recently. It has a new address. I cannot relocate, but if I find it, I'll post. Not sure if I saw it here or on facebook....
I found it!

Wild Bill

Back when I was looking for a budget cross country airplane, the Lancair 235 and long EZ Varieze planes available offered a lot of performance for the money. The EZ that I bought was around 12k. You can find really good flyable examples in the 20k range.
The earlier Lancair models run more in the 30k range. But again, you get a lot of performance per $.

cluttonfred

HBA Supporter
Thanks, I updated the Wikipedia entries for Stewart Aircraft, Stewart Headwind, and Stewart Foo Fighter to reflect the new link.

I found it!