Flitzer Biplane

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

steveair2

Log Member
I have plans for the Z-21 and the Stummel Flitzer.
These plans are awesome the way they are drawn.
My favorite version is the Flitzer F2 Tiger.
Check it out. www.flitzerbiplane.com

Steve

Last edited:

bmcj

HBA Supporter
Whatever you do, don't look for Flitzer at Flitzer.com. :gig:

The front page is very non-descript, but the second page... :speechles

bmcj

HBA Supporter
Don't quote me on this because it may not be a word at all, but I seem to remember someone saying that it had something to do with a flash of lightning (though the German word for lightning is "blitz").

Autodidact

I would like to build a corvair powered replica of the Waterman Gosling with a higher aspect ratio wing using the Pietenpol aerofoil and had thought that the z-3 basic structure might be adapted for this (Gosling being a parasol). The Flitzer series internal structure is beautiful and seems to be very well thought out. I also like some of Lynn's other designs like the Cleveland 200. Really beautiful aircraft; can't wait til somebody builds one.

PTAirco

Now what does Flitzer mean in German?:rolleyes:
Flitzer can also mean "Streaker" - one who is given to run around naked in public places! Though I don't think that is interpretation Mr Williams had in mind when he named his airplane.

jumpinjan

Its too small. I guess people see it attractive because of its 18' wing span? I cringe just looking at it.

PTAirco

Its too small. I guess people see it attractive because of its 18' wing span? I cringe just looking at it.
There is a wide-body fuselage addition on the plans. But the cockpit isn't that small at all, I sat in the original and I am 6'2" and 195 lbs.

snaildrake

Re: Flitzer Biplane (party like it's 1927!)

Steveair2,
Now you've done it, you've gone and gotten me interested in Flitzers and their quirky alternate aviation history! I saw your thread months ago, saved the picture of the F2 Tiger as cool, and went about my business. Now I can't get this out of my head (it's a recent photo, not an oil painting):

Flitzer by Mike Vines.jpg

Before I go off the deep end, did you know that there's a close relative of the Z-21 plans in the works called a 'Jung Tiger'? Similar lines to an F2, sized to a 65HP Walter Mikron III inline 4. I'm not sure it would fly well from our 5000-6000' airstrips out west, but at sea level I bet it'd be a load of fun.

Jung Tiger GA.jpg

Since Flitzers look so small and impractical, let me point out a few less-obvious positives:

• Like the Pitts? A Flitzer's the same size - see if you can shoot one down!
  • 12' fuselage - rudder to firewall - build in a 1-car garage, a garden shed, anywhere
  • More character than a Fly Baby, a Jodel, a Ragwing or Fisher
  • You have an excuse to find some jodhpurs, riding boots and paint "Ernst von Spitzwegen" along your cockpit
  • At 480lbs empty it gets good performance out of a VW engine
  • Better than a replica - slices of 1920s history with 21st century engineering
  • You too can build and fly a plane that looks like a herring!
All kidding aside, if you compare the specs of the base model Z-21 to a design of similar dimension, gross weight, and power, it sizes up pretty well:

• Top Speed: 95 mph (indicated)
  • Cruise Speed: 86 mph
  • Stall Speed: 42 mph
  • Rate of Climb: 720 ft/min @ 1500 ft
  • Take Off Distance: 400 ft
  • Range: 300 miles
  • Wing Area: 97 sq.ft.
  • Length: 14'-9"
If you think that's slow and underpowered, there are guys putting together a competition version called a Z-1R with a Rotec radial.

But I understand, Flitzers are kind of weird, not everyone's cup of tea. There are only 7 flying (but more than a prototype). Some would be happier with an Aerodrome Nieuport, or a Fisher FP-404, or a Hatz. But Lynn has sold over 250 sets of plans, so there must be a lot of that kind of nut out there. Who knows, I just might be one of them:). -Dan

steveair2

Log Member
Re: Flitzer Biplane (Party like it's 1927!)

Ha! Well said Dan! Lots of fun in a small package. The plans are works of art suitable for framing. I have not seen the F5.
I love the Micron engines. Glad to see some interest in this design. It is the reason I started this thread. "party like it's 1927!" I love it! Thanks for the input!

snaildrake

Re: Flitzer Biplane (Party like it's 1927!)

I love the Micron engines.
Steve,
Glad to keep you company. Lynn has incredible passion for his craft, and half the fun is definitely his energy and the seriously wacky Flitzer community.

So does anyone know if Walter Mikron engine can be found new or used in the US? The LOM Praha definitely still makes the larger M132 100 hp. The Mikron's claim to fame is its 130 lb dry weight - less than a VW, same as a Jabiru 2200. -Dan

Last edited: