Finishing your airplane - The Commitment

Discussion in 'Workshop Tips and Secrets / Tools' started by Little Scrapper, Jun 11, 2017.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Jun 14, 2017 #61

don january

don january

don january

Any plane built in a 12-18 month period is a amazing feat in my book especially if your working alone or with little help and sharing a shop with another business. I think there is two types of commitment's a person is up against. 1- is the plane type? for instance a Piper Pawnee needing a wing redone or a engine rebuild. If the plane is bread and butter for the family I have witnessed around the clock scheduling for repairs is needed to keep the customers from moving on to another plane and pilot. 2- would be a person's HBA that is being built for pleasure. If the builder finds scheduling is the best way for them to reach their goal then by all means that's the way to go. I myself take any free moment and build or study and always keep my eye's open for needed material's and have found that part's come at some of the oddest time's. I think any builder will hit a spot where the build will come to a stand still out of their control and to me that's the challenge of the builder to not let that get them down. If your patient and give the matter time to pass in time the craft will be done.

akwrencher likes this.
  2. Jun 14, 2017 #62

tspear

tspear

tspear

Sounds like you had a full life. I use TV or music as background, depending on what I am working on. Makes time go by faster; and often I am more productive. I currently have a few constraints which are preventing me building:
    1. Money, just finished paying for two kids in college (I paid for years, they get to cover anything after)
    2. Time, I am starting a company while I keep my day job.
    3. Space, no place to build until other home projects are completed.

Goal is for the second and third items to be resolved by the end of next year. Money will then be the only one left....

Tim

3. Jun 14, 2017 #63

Pops

Pops

Pops

Yes, I went through the college money things, and starting a business while working full time on my day job. I was fortunate in having space to do what I wanted at home.

4. Jun 14, 2017 #64

gtae07

gtae07

gtae07

Yep. I roll out of bed around 0445, shower and right off to work. When I get home around 1630 I roll right into taking over care of my son so my wife can have a break. We squeeze in food, bathtime, and maybe a workout in before he goes to bed at 1930. Bed for us is 2100.

About the only time I get to work on the airplane is during my son's naps on the weekend. We found a "mothers' morning out" program for him (he loves it) that will give us a little more time to do things once I change to weekend shift.

Yeah, left to my own devices I'd wake up, have coffee and breakfast and catch up on email, then head out to the shop before sunrise. But family comes first. I've seen too many divorces precipitated by building an airplane; I don't want to end up the same way. If that means my build winds up taking eight years, so be it.

akwrencher likes this.
  5. Jun 15, 2017 #65

choppergirl

choppergirl

choppergirl

For me, it's facing the brutal reality that nobody is going to build your plane but you. Even though you live on a planet of 7.5 billion people, nobody is going to do any of it for you.

All those people who you helped in the past, that you ran to their rescue, and threw your body in front of a train at one time to help, are conspicuously long gone when you need help. All that homework you did for school for free, doesn't count for anything bankable you can withdraw on. All those people you helped when they were in a bind, to bootstrap them to where they could survive... gone. The family you buy Xmas presents for every year? Off in their own worlds. The coworker you once bailed out and covered a shift for? Vanished.

I've lived on my own a while now and am use to doing everything all by myself... from fixing my motorbikes and cars and roofs, landscaping outdoors, cleaning indoors (like perpetually), scavenging things, repairing things, building things, sorting things, laundry, dishes, paying bills with money I don't have, flim flaming finances to stay afloat, you name it... that's just life... it's all just chopping wood and carrying water. I put my nose to the grindstone and just get it done, and don't complain about it... there is nobody to complain to. It's just taking care of business.

In the middle of some kind of bizarro economic Great Depression, I'm in some kind of bombed out European post WW2 like reality where there are no jobs. I don't spend money on anything but gasoline, electricity, and dirt cheap parts I need from Schenzen, China off of ebay. They have my pictures taped on the cash registers at Harbor Freight, because I burn up their coupon system buying 99 cent scissors with an additional 20% discount coupon, just so I can use a free item coupon to get that free $5.99 multimeter, tarp, tape measure, or what not.

But when it comes to my plane, it's different. I mean, this is like my dream. Something I want really bad, but need help building, because I don't know how to do it all, and there's a lot of it to do. I really wish someone would come help me, but I don't ever see it happening. And I probably wouldn't know how to interact with them anyway, I've done things on my own my way for so long... from homework, to everything else that followed... I'd be like, well, we have to wait, until I get money for such and such, because we have to do this, before we can do any of all the rest of that... and it would stall anyway. You're doing things the wrong way...

So at the end of the day, you just have to get off of HBA, stop posting here, leave for good, and work on it like you'd work on doing your laundry, mowing your lawn, or washing dishes. If working on your plane is too technical for your brain at the moment, then switch up and do other things you have to do for life, just to build momentum.

Don't have the mental focus to work on a plane part at the moment? I don't most of the time. Take out the trash. Replace a broken microwave fuse. Check the air in your tires. Oil all the squeeky hinges in the house. Plan a grocery list. Change the oil in your truck. Sort out your screw driver bin. Doing anything like trains the brain to be in work mode that just gets things done, and sidestep around all sorts of impossible obstacles using your moxy. The hicks around my parts have a phrase "get 'er done". That's just what you have to do. Just get er done. It may not be pretty, it may not be elegant, it may not be perfect, you may screw up lots along the way and make some mistakes that cost you extra when you have to backtrack and do them a second or a third time, but get er done.

It's hard, because unlike every other project I've tackled and finished, this thing for some reason intimidates me. I tell myself, it's just a flying go cart, you can do this. Work anywhere, where it needs it, where you feel like working at the moment, and you'll move forward.
    You just have to sit down and do something somewhere on it, just like any other disaster project, attack the worst part first. Like cleaning up an old barn. You attack the worst and hardest first, that corner where all the rats take a s***. With a broom. You do it. Alone.

The dirty little secret of home building airplanes and this forum is this... there is nobody but you. Nobody but you is going to build your plane for you.

Now, to be fair, a few people have sent me things, to help out, which is cool. But all of that together is still a drop in the bucket, and it still comes down to me in the end.. the rubber hitting the road.

It's not a pleasant pill to swallow. And it's kind of sad.

I mean, it is your dream. And there are those 7.5 billion other people on the planet. You would like to wish someone would help you with your dream. And when there's nobody there but you, it makes you feel pretty much alone on this rock in space. So you come here, stand by the water cooler, talk airplane stuff, and write little posts, just so you don't feel so alone in your insane mad little endeavor to build a flying contraption, but that is just an illusion, and by posting to the internet, you accomplish nothing really on your plane that way...

Somewhere in the back of your mind, you know the real 1950's Elmer's that have 12 planes under their belt and build them like they were putting together Lego projects, have never once been here... and never will come... because they just don't need this place. Their brain works on autopilot, and they build airplane parts as just their way to... RELAX...

You're running out of time. What it comes down to is you have to make a decision... or reality will decide for you. Get busy living out there, or get busy dying in here...

Go out in your shop and stand alone on the concrete floor. You know what I'm talking about. Nobody's there to help you but you.

The sky is out there... and I intend to go swimming in it... do or die... it may take me a while... a long while... but you got to be hardcore warrior... gravity is the ***** keeping you down... your plane... an act of defiance... your right hand man... aerodynamic science...

Last edited: Jun 15, 2017
  6. Jun 15, 2017 #66

choppergirl

choppergirl

choppergirl

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 20, 2019
  7. Jun 15, 2017 #67

N8053H

N8053H

N8053H

Choppergirl, don't be so hard on people. You must have FAITH. Stop looking for someone to help and help someone. You never know that someone you help may step up someday and help you. This happened to me. Help out of the goodness of your heart and it will come back to you 10 fold. It did for me.

Tony

8. Jun 15, 2017 #68

Little Scrapper

Little Scrapper

Little Scrapper

Well-Known Member HBA Supporter

CG, I'm well aware it's up to me, that's how I have the things I have in life, i wemt out and earned it. The problem I face now is "time", not motivation or depression, or money, or knowledge, it's time. My life involves a wife, 3 awesome children who are busy, and I built, arguably, the number 1 plumbing company in my demographic. So my set of problems are probably different than yours. But a problem non the less.

It sounds to me you have plenty of time but no money. In your avatar you look rather young? My advice to you is to find a geographic location where jobs are plentiful and work. Save. Invest. That's what I did, I invested in myself and worked very hard. I still do.

But all is not so great with my life either. What the hell good is money if you can't find balance? It's not. This is why I'm testing my new theory of scheduling airplane time in the morning before I head off to service calls. Tomorrow is session #2 at 5:00am. My goal is to work until 10:00 when most people are working. It's a little weird but that's my experiment. I did this Tuesday and I had a blast.

But it's am experiment, so we'll see. I feel very balanced when I have "me" time, it adds value to my life experience. And this is exactly how I built me business, there's literally no difference. Instead of working on creating a business I'm just applying it to building a Cassutt. Will it work? If history is any guide i.would say hell yeah.

9. Jun 15, 2017 #69

TFF

TFF

TFF

CG you are smart and capable. You learned how to survive wrong. Probably not your fault; it seems to be a big problem today. From this point in your life no one will help you gain what you want but yourself. You are now jumping to the wrong conclusion. The conclusion that you need to learn is I have to work to have anything. You will have to work harder to have more than others. Work little, have little. It sucks to have to be your parents. We are giving Scrapper a hard time. Its really semantics; he is building a plane, running a business, and taking care of his family. We are not finding real fault, just poking the bear. If we thought he was really being a fool, we would be the dumbest group on the planet. He is taking care of business. You have a skill of being able to survive on minimal things; use that to your advantage. Not by living minimally but by saving everything you gain. You are not saving to own, but saving to gain. You can have a million, the only one keeping it away is you. You dont have to just survive.

10. Jun 15, 2017 #70

Little Scrapper

Little Scrapper

Little Scrapper

Looking over my schedule, kinda nice to look forward to a work session tomorrow before starting in on plumbing calls. I'm thinking this might have been a great idea.

11. Jun 15, 2017 #71

BJC

BJC

BJC

The first, and necessary, step toward improving one's situation is accepting personal responsibility.

BJC

akwrencher and Little Scrapper like this.
  12. Jun 16, 2017 #72

Hot Wings

Hot Wings

Hot Wings

And the second is seizing authority. Responsibility and authority are a pair. One is no good without the other.

The first person that one needs to gain authority to control is ones self. I'm still learning how to control that recalcitrant creature that lurks in my body.....

akwrencher and BJC like this.
  13. Jun 16, 2017 #73

TFF

TFF

TFF

I will say it must be cool to start the day with fun.

14. Jun 16, 2017 #74

Pops

Pops

Pops

I bought this 1956 Cessna project. Fuselage was stored in a chicken house, wings and engine in a wood work shop and everything else in the attic and boxes of parts. No wiring, completely disassembled.
    Bought in on Sept 1 and Dec 6 took it to the airport and put the wings on. Wife and my daughter and I worked 6 days a week 8 hrs a day and I worked 12 hrs a day. New wiring, paint, windows , instruments overhauled , new interior, engine and prop overhauled, new control cables and all airframe bolts and nut plates. We had a week just riveting repairing alum skins on the wings. Fuselage was stripped but the wings still had the old paint on them. Lot of hours worked.
    I didn't know, but after bringing it home and going through the log books , this was the same airplane that a friend of mine and myself looked at and wanted to buy back in 1965 but both of us had young families and just couldn't afford it.

Attached Files:

15. Jun 16, 2017 #75

Mark Z

Mark Z

Mark Z

I love the straight back, straight tail Cessnas!!

Pops likes this.
  16. Jun 16, 2017 #76

Little Scrapper

Little Scrapper

Little Scrapper

Yes, it's surreal really, the entire day is awesome because of it.