Finishing your airplane - The Commitment

Discussion in 'Workshop Tips and Secrets / Tools' started by Little Scrapper, Jun 11, 2017.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Jun 12, 2017 #41

Little Scrapper

Little Scrapper

Little Scrapper

Well-Known Member HBA Supporter

I get the feeling most people on here don't want to set goals and don't want to finish the airplane and don't want to fly? Lol

Man, I love to build but dang, I'm just as excited to pilot a Cassutt. I'm finishing my Cassutt dadgumit! And I'm gonna fly that biotch to Airventure! No exceptions.

I agree with the internet, Ed. It's gets in the way of work.

2. Jun 12, 2017 #42

TFF

TFF

TFF

See you are not scheduling build time, you are scheduling excitement time. See you don't even know what to call it. ;)

don january likes this.
  3. Jun 12, 2017 #43

don january

don january

don january

Scrapper how do you really know what goals are set? and I've flown plenty. you best think of your build and stop worrying about some schedule to keep. You want your Cassett in the air then get to building and stop asking what if's. I've razed 4 kid's and two where twins so you can go what ever way you want for excuses. you like pictures to show your progress and that's cool but pictures don't fly. stinson 2.jpg

4. Jun 12, 2017 #44

Little Scrapper

Little Scrapper

Little Scrapper

Don, in the world of bizarre forum posts this has to take the cake. I'm not sure about this incohesive bipolar type response considering people are clear about not scheduling and not setting goals, in fact people have said that. So, are you unable to read?

Wow, you're an interesting cat. Did you build that certified airplane in the photo? I mean, show me an experimental airplane you started and finished. I'm all ears, because if yiu haven't guess what?

5. Jun 13, 2017 #45

Tiger Tim

Tiger Tim

Tiger Tim

I haven't built an airplane (yet) but I've had my share of other large hobby projects from a bunch of models and custom bicycles when I was younger, up to the two old cars I have in my garage now. All along I've done it for my own enjoyment; both in the build and the finished machine. One big thing I've learned is that scheduled fun isn't fun.

Once I get into my work space I chip away at whatever I have time for. If I only have twenty minutes I'll do a twenty minute job and if I'm going to have all evening I can tackle a bigger project. I know that as long as I can get into my workshop or garage that I can make progress and eventually there will be nothing left to do.

That's what's worked for me so far. I can't say it will work for anyone else but I get stuff done without stressing on when.

6. Jun 13, 2017 #46

Little Scrapper

Little Scrapper

Little Scrapper

Everyone looks at scheduling different I guess. Scheduling, for me at least, is defined as "making time for" so I'm not sure how that's viewed as stressful when making time for something fun is fun. I do think people have unique lives, and that does play a significant roll. My kids are old enough where they are in a ton of activities so besides running a business I'm pulled everywhere when I'm not in work mode.

And as I said in the OP, it's not working, for me. I have to be clear so Don doesn't freak out, for me.

My progress on the cassutt has been horrible, and that bothers me because I really love the cassutt and really enjoy working on it. So my next thought is to schedule it, just like I do work, appointments, kids functions, etc.

I'm trying to get to the shop more, it's fun. So if scheduling fun shop time isn't good I don't know what else to do. Maybe just f#%@ it. Maybe scheduling is bad? In that case I'm out of ideas.

7. Jun 13, 2017 #47

don january

don january

don january

No never built a Stinson but have one, kr2 3.jpg kr2 1.jpg Thats me in the picture having fun and not stressed and worried about time to set aside for the build. I just tried to give some constructive thoughts to help you move along. Your sure a touchy CAT when things are viewed different then what you feel. IMO

8. Jun 13, 2017 #48

Little Scrapper

Little Scrapper

Little Scrapper

Don, this is a thread about building, not you next to a airplane. Your prior post was off the hook, completely. Clearly you haven't finished an airplane, which is the topic.

Yes or no, can you stay on topic? You are not the judge of how i view happiness so either contribute or leave. Thank you.

I don't want you trashing another thread like you tried to do with the cassutt thread.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2017
  9. Jun 13, 2017 #49

don january

don january

don january

2009 the time of the picture I was 48 yrs old and a big KID! Topic is commitment and finishing your plane! Can I stay on topic"yes" Not only have I finished a plane but had the joy of flying it. Beings you don't want PM I'll say my mind right here. Your Scrapper name fit's you good it tells me your always looking for a fight you should get your Bi-polar med's checked. Peace

10. Jun 13, 2017 #50

Little Scrapper

Little Scrapper

Little Scrapper

Shop discipline is hard for me because my project is in my plumbing shop, probably less than ideal. It's a constant struggle. Hopefully my new morning sessions idea will work. I just need to keep people out while working.

11. Jun 13, 2017 #51

Raceair

Raceair

Raceair

I work off a specific outline, and schedule, with my customer aircraft in my business.....I do NOT do that for hobby...(I Used to when trying to meet a race deadline, or a debut of a new design at OSH, but no more.) Hobby needs to be a 'release' from the norm, so casually building an aircraft should be stress free and therapeutic. It is fun to build. If you are impatient to fly, buy something, its quicker and can be done for the same or less cash than starting from scratch...
    And as far as Starting and finishing a homebuilt.....Heres an honest way to see where you are at...Everybody can do this...."How many Homebuilts have you (1)started, (2) finished, (3) finished and flown....?..."

Little Scrapper likes this.
  12. Jun 13, 2017 #52

Little Scrapper

Little Scrapper

Little Scrapper

I decided to put in to practice my idea of scheduling time for the Cassutt instead of leaving it all up to chance. In one of my original posts I wrote that today I put it on the schedule from 5-10:00am, I think? Well, I did work on it this morning but it was from 5 - 8:40.

So far so good, felt great actually, got a lot done. I don't have my schedule in front of me but I think I scheduled my next work session Thursday morning from 5:00-8:00? I'm gonna give a synopsis of how this went because it was quite interesting. Odd actually. Felt kinda weird to start my morning doing something I normally don't do.

I realise just about everyone on here was "anti scheduling" and warmed about it being bad or stressful etc. I put it in to practice, just to see. I like to experience things to have the knowledge. It didn't go as smoothly as I hoped but still, it was awesome. I'll update after my next session on Thursday morning. This is really a different way to approach building. After a couple more sessions I'll write about it I guess. Looking forward to Thursday morning, that's for sure.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2017
  13. Jun 13, 2017 #53

tspear

tspear

tspear

Actually scheduling time can be effective. However, this is very personality dependent.

Tim

14. Jun 13, 2017 #54

TFF

TFF

TFF

Getting to work on your plane should dissipate any of the nasty scheduling vibe no matter what. ;) My free time comes at the end of the day, but I have read that the morning tends to be when the "schedulers " tend to work in their free time.

15. Jun 13, 2017 #55

Little Scrapper

Little Scrapper

Little Scrapper

Afternoons & evenings are for my family. That's why it's been difficult for me.

16. Jun 14, 2017 #56

TFF

TFF

TFF

Right now family is all in bed by 9, even wife. Already get up early to heard the troupes. I would have to get up at 2 am to get the same time. Anyway the better westerns are on late for quality white noise.

17. Jun 14, 2017 #57

akwrencher

akwrencher

akwrencher

Thanks for keeping us posted Scrapper. Sounds like it may be just the thing to keep your project going.

18. Jun 14, 2017 #58

tspear

tspear

tspear

We are the opposite. Midnight is the normal bedtime, with me recently staying up to 2am working (unfortunately not on a plane).

Tim

19. Jun 14, 2017 #59

Mark Z

Mark Z

Mark Z

I'm late to the party. I like a project; finishing happens when I run out of excuses not to fly it. For me it's more about doing than having but I'm truly blessed to have a flying airplane. Look at that family and count your blessings. Look at the demand for your skills and talents and again count those blessings. You have your head screwed on straight; kick back and enjoy the ride!

akwrencher likes this.
  20. Jun 14, 2017 #60

Pops

Pops

Pops

First, don't waste your time watching TV. Most of my life up to retirement I would get between 5 and 6 hrs of sleep a night, don't remember getting more than 6 hrs . Normal day would be getting up a 5 am driving to work, coming home from work and eating supper with the family, spending 2 hrs at the kitchen table homeschooling my 3 children after they had the failed attempt of schooling for the day at the gov school. I always had a side job of building houses , building VW engines, VW only car sales, etc. Get to bed at about midnight. Always an avid reader so I would read /study in bed before going to sleep and also at lunch time at work. Many times I would read all night until 5 am and get up and go to work. If I was building or restoring an airplane I would spend 12-16 hrs on it on Sat and try to sneak 15 minutes in it most evening. No work on Sunday. Our vacation each year was packing up the camper and heading for OSH.
    And then there was the 7.5 years that my job required that I work 12hrs a day, 7 days a week with a 40 minute drive one way to work. I would still stop by the airport and fly the airplane a couple times a week and work as much as possible on building or restoring airplanes.