Fauvel AV-36, 361 and 362

Discussion in 'Supplier / Manufacturer Announcements' started by Hot Wings, Jun 14, 2019.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Jun 14, 2019 #1

Hot Wings

Hot Wings

Hot Wings

Well-Known Member HBA Supporter

I've taken on the responsibility of preserving and developing this classic flying wing design. I received the documentation a couple of days ago, but have not yet had time to fully examine everything. The original plans are in pretty poor shape but I'm confidant that I can get them into marketable condition. Some of them are at the copy shop now getting digitized so I don't have to abuse the originals any more than necessary.

It may be several weeks/months before I can get the plans freshened up and ready for reproduction. I'll try to post updates as appropriate.

Among the AV-36 documents there is some other Fauvel design related history. I'll be posting these documents to an GroupsIO site when time allows.

Questions and/or suggestions are most welcome!

2. Jun 14, 2019 #2

fly2kads

fly2kads

fly2kads

How cool! Best of luck to you!

3. Jun 14, 2019 #3

Victor Bravo

Victor Bravo

Victor Bravo

Congratulations! I hope you make a "small fortune in aviation", without spending the big fortune first :)

4. Jun 14, 2019 #4

Hot Wings

Hot Wings

Hot Wings

I intend to make part of that small fortune from you.;) After all this is the big brother to the Pelican and I think I can eventually get the '36 to be as trailer-able as the Pelican.

5. Jun 15, 2019 #5

GeeBee3

GeeBee3

GeeBee3

I am quite familiar with the AV36 and the AV361.... in fact I have a set of AV361 plans. But I am not familiar with the AV362.... what are the differences?

6. Jun 15, 2019 #6

Hot Wings

Hot Wings

Hot Wings

I'm still learning about these planes so any trivia you may be able to offer is most welcome. As near as I can tell, from the documentation, is that the 362 is identical to the 361 except it uses the Wortmann airfoil rather than the Fauvel.

I'm planning on putting together a spreadsheet of all the known 36 planes, plans and derivatives. I have some documentation of serial numbers in the mid 400 range but a lot of it is unreadable.

7. Jun 15, 2019 #7

simflyer

simflyer

simflyer

Here You could find source for flywings http://www.nurflugel.com/Nurflugel/Fauvel/e_machines.htm
    Read about Choucas variation of Fauvel: http://www.nurflugel.com/Nurflugel/Fauvel/e_choucas.htm
    One Choucas was also built in Canada from composite.
    You could learn much from Marske flywings, which improved Fauvel conception.

8. Jun 16, 2019 #8

GeeBee3

GeeBee3

GeeBee3

Do you have any access to the Fauvel AV45 or 451 designs or data through your new arrangement? These designs grew out of the AV36 experience but upgraded to accommodate the weight of a pusher engine. They were decent performers but suffered from the lack of appropriate and reliable motors. The AV45 seemed to have been the leading candidate for moving the Fauvels into the age of composites until a fire destroyed the prototype. Any info on the flight characteristics of the AV36 or AV45 under powered flight would be appreciated.

9. Jun 16, 2019 #9

Hot Wings

Hot Wings

Hot Wings

Unfortunately, no. All of that information was lost in the fire in France.
    As I go through what I have it seems that the documentation for the certified version of the AV-36 was lost as well. As near as I can tell all that remains is the plans for the home-built version. I would have assumed that the company (Wassmer) that built the first 40 AV-36 also had a copy of the documentation? Maybe someone, somewhere knows the history of that set? Reading between the lines there was very little difference between the certified and amateur versions of the plans. The certified version just had a lot more detail and specifications included.

My long range intentions are to redevelop a modern equivalent of the AV-48 as an ASTM LSA kit, with a stop along the adventure being an AV-45 pod and power plant that can be a direct replacement for the AV-36 fuselage. Remembering Orion's signature line "A goal without a plan is little more than a wish" .... I'm still developing the plan.

Hephaestus likes this.
  10. Jun 16, 2019 #10

Hot Wings

Hot Wings

Hot Wings

Among the documents I found an e-mal from 1999 to a person in France named Jean Molveau that was in some way associated with an aviation publication (Vol a Voile) and was keeping a record of AV-36 aircraft worldwide.
    I sent an e-mail to the address but it bounced. Not surprising given the time span.

If anyone knows how to contact this individual and/or the publication I would be very interested in getting that list to publish fo preserve the history of this design.