Falco N644F

Discussion in 'Completions' started by Greyeagle44f, Dec 12, 2004.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Dec 12, 2004 #1

Greyeagle44f

Greyeagle44f

Greyeagle44f

F.8L Falco: Building started in 1985, first flight June 1995. Bought most of the Sequoia Aircraft kits, Don George re-built IO-320-B1A, Hartzell CS prop, cost very closely approached six figures. Built in my basement, building hours over 4,000.

Consulted my friend the late Tony Bingelis often during construction (he had built one) and he inspected it on two occasions.

Empty weight about 1290, top speed (7,000') 200 mph TAS. At normal cruise (160 mph TAS) burns 7.5 gph. Stall clean 59 KIAS.

I made the first flight (at 72 years) after having had another Falco builder (Bob Bready) offer me time in his bird for some 3-4 hours, ten landings. He said if I broke his, he would take mine; he has his, I have mine.

Retired, USAF Command pilot...USAAF/USAF total some some 5,000 hours.

"Falco four-four Fox" is Located at Skyhaven Airport, Rochester NH (DAW).

2. Dec 13, 2004 #2

Jman

Jman

Jman

Site Developer

Congrats! Must be a great feeling. Do you have any photos?

3. Dec 13, 2004 #3

Craig

Craig

Craig

Congrats!

Congratualations, Grey Eagle Ancient Aviator!

Falco's are beautiful airplanes, and I look forward to seeing Falco four-four Fox in the pattern!

Completing an airplane is, indeed, a lifetime experience! Also a feat to be very proud of.

Show us some photos!

4. Dec 13, 2004 #4

Greyeagle44f

Greyeagle44f

Greyeagle44f

Thanks for the comments, both of you.

It was indeed an accomplishment given that at the half-way point there were times that I wondered if all that wood would get into the air...but I had heard that "you can trust a tree" so I moved along.

While after retirement from the USAF I had toyed with the idea of building it was a sad event in my life that really moved me to do it. My wife of 35 years died in 1982 and short of occupying my mind with a goal there seemed to be not much left but the streets and barrooms.

I eschewed the alternative and investigated Glassair, RV, and the Falco...no contest, it was to be the Falco.

When I told my kids I had decided to build an airplane their response was "Yeh, sure Dad, do that" never dreaming I would. It did not help with the pain, but it sure kept my brain busy...it is likely the most work intensive homebuilt out there, the Sitka wood kits arriving in only a semi-finished state.

Some time later I met a woman some twenty years my junior and as things got serious I showed her the lumber I was organizing into a wind machine in the basement, making it quite clear to her that whatever was to come for us the Falco was going to be part of it...we were later married and she the first to fly in the right seat after the 25 hours were flown off.

I do not know how to get a picture here, but if giving you a URL is permitted here is one on the Sequoia website that will bring you to Four Four Fox...description, photos, report on the first flight. Be certain to go to all the Links...(friend Tony Bingelis and I are there) particularly the one identified as "sunsplit clouds"...a great shot, wife and I aloft.

Try this: http://www.seqair.com/Hangar/Devoe/Devoe.html Check Six,

Last edited: Dec 14, 2004
  5. Dec 13, 2004 #5

Greyeagle44f

Greyeagle44f

Greyeagle44f

6. Dec 15, 2004 #6

727200er

727200er

727200er

Beautiful plane and nicely written as well.
    Congratulations

7. Dec 15, 2004 #7

Greyeagle44f

Greyeagle44f

Greyeagle44f

I thank you!

8. Dec 20, 2004 #8

Falco Rob

Falco Rob

Falco Rob

Hey John,

Contratulations on a beautiful job.

As you can tell from my log-in name I'm following along your path and am about 3 years into it, with about 2 - 3 to go.

Being on this side of the world the exchange rate has meant I'm having to make just about everything rather than buy the Sequoia kits.

I'm also on their website (Rob Phillis) but the photos are about 6 months old, I'm at about the stage shown on your "Fuselage" page. Will get some new photos to Alfred soon.

It sure helps to keep the motivation levels up when I see and read about aeroplanes like yours.

I need all the encouragement I can get sometimes, particularly when I get bagged by my fellow homebuilders.

I'm the sec/treasurer for the local Chapter of the SAAA (the Oz version of the EAA) and I won an award at our Xmas BBQ last Saturday for "displaying perseverance, tenacity and an acute lack of commonsense for building a wooden plane"

Those plastic bucket and tin can builders are gonna be sorry one day . . .

God, I hope I'm right!

Rob

9. Dec 20, 2004 #9

Greyeagle44f

Greyeagle44f

Greyeagle44f

Rob...I like this line...

"displaying perseverance, tenacity and an acute lack of commonsense for building a wooden plane"

Hang in there...when completed you will never go to any fly-in, look at another wind machine an say "Golly, I wished I had built THAT one."

The "Italian Masterpiece" has no peer.

As for cost, yeh, a lot of Lire but the U.S. dollar is down quite dramatically, take advantage of it where and while you can.

If I can be of any help let me know.

And when you are dealing with that Sitka and birch plywood remember: "Measure twice, cut once."