• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Epoxy and Heat

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Radicaldude1234

Hi guys,

I know this question gets asked a lot and I got some great information in previous threads, but I'm still unclear in a lot of other areas. I'm interested in non sandwich carbon fiber construction, so I'm not worried about foam breaking down with heat.

That said, a carry-over from the "can I paint a composite structure in any color?" question, are there any wet layup solutions that can handle the heat? If so, can someone point me in the right direction as to brands? I'm not looking to paint anything black, but darker colors will still be a possibility.

I realize that's not great idea here in sunny Southern California, but I'm still curious as to what's out there. I'm actually thinking of building an oven for post cures/vacuum bagged prepregs, but as the latter is hard to get in small quantities and has a short shelf life, I'm just looking at alternatives.

Thanks in advance!

Back