Quantcast

Early 2019 Christmas Wish - RV-7HW...Are you listening, Richard?

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

TarDevil

There's just nothing out there in a high wing aircraft that's comparable to Van's in performance and ease of construction.

Just no market for such an animal?

lr27

I gather the Glasair high wing offerings are deficient in one department or other?

Mitchell

The Glasair Sportsman and the Rans S-21 is the closest that I have found. If that Vashon Ranger can handle a 180hp engine than maybe it would be a contender, but its still not sold as a kit. A high wing 200mph roomy kitplane would be right up my ally, but I'm not gonna hold my breath for Vans to make one of those.

Kyle Boatright

HBA Supporter
There's just nothing out there in a high wing aircraft that's comparable to Van's in performance and ease of construction.

Just no market for such an animal?
Someone could design a steel tube high wing fuselage that would mate to RV wings, tail, and FWF. Relatively speaking, it shouldn't be that difficult.

However, note the Vashon Ranger. See how it appears a bit tall? You'd probably get that same effect if you were trying for a cantilever winged high wing with RV flying surfaces because of the spar carry through structure.

Last edited:

Victor Bravo

I was a participant on the "back country pilot" forum for several years, and that topic was brought up more than once. Van must certainly have known how many people were sniffing around the idea, and there are plenty of people in the RV world who would have built one. I can only imagine that he has an unwritten agreement with Glastar and Kitfox and Bearhawk and whoever else to not intrude in their "niche".

OR... he could also be responding to the market's desire, and madly sketching and calculating away at his secret lab as we speak :)

I would have to agree with many many people that a high w ing bush-capable airplane with RV handling traits would be a desirable airplane.

I have one ride in a Bearhawk and I must say it is a very very impressive airplane. Other than NOT being an all-metal Van's airplane it sure does meet the performanace and utility parameters of the discussion. Perhaps Van thinks that the Bearhawk is good enough and he can't improve on it that much.

Wayne

Log Member
IMO the high wing space is where Zenith currently lives and is why I have one versus an RV 12. All metal easy to build and insurable airplanes that allow you to look down. Might not be as "precise" as the RV, but it works nicely. If Vans produced a high wing RV 12 or similar things would get very challenging.

Tiger Tim

Would you actually put down money on a kit for such an animal, or would it just make you happier to know it existed somewhere?

TFF

He already made the RV5; that was probably a sign. I think the Bearhawk with the new airfoil is a hard plane to beat. Personally a Tailwind is my favorite. Yes struts, but why waste the empty space under the wing; cantilevered is over rated. If you really need some real aerobatic ability, a high wing will be doggier than the low. I think the problem with any cornerstone airplane that people want to hate is "they got it right"; someone really producing what the majority want. Hard to beat the RV, even if you don't want one. Most attempts are lesser aircraft. RV got it right, Pitts got it right, Bowers got it right, Whitman got it right...the competition rarely equal who they are chasing.

ScaleBirdsScott

I've been somewhat following the Athena highwing (by JetBlackAircraft) since it's designed around having a radial, and whether or not one goes that route, judging by the way it's being designed/built, I could see it, in some ways, fitting the bill of an RV-equivalent highwing.

Looking at the specs, it's pegging out the LSA category, and I'm assuming that's with a 7-cylinder radial, and there is mention of going with 9's as well, which would easily push it past the paltry LSA sums. And of course a variant maybe with some modifications for speed and weight to handle whatever one would throw into an RV, would probably yield something roughly equivalent overall. Of course that's a work in progress as well, and it does mostly claim to go for an LSA. But I could see a version of that which was setup out the gate for 180HP+ and the same loading conditions as an RV-8 being a pretty cool option. With that type of engine I'd loose the retro Cessna styling and go more 152/172 era.

So basically something that looks like a slightly upscaled 152 Aerobat (made for a roomier cabin experience with modern pilots, modern instrumentation, etc) but built with the Vans method and designed to handle 150-200HP. Heck, go cantilevered wings while we're at it. (but do give it a more Cessna-like wing)

Does something like that exist? Something makes me feel like it should.

Victor Bravo

The low wing Van's RV series are all capable of pretty surprising slow speed STOL performance already. The average RV-6 can apparently operate out of a clear 1200 foot strip with a reasonable safety reserve.

SO, in order to justify a high wing "bushplane" RV derivative, it would have to be capable of significantly better STOL performance than the already-decent low wing RV's. I'm guessing that this means it will have to be slowed down below the near-200 MPH speeds of the cantilever low wing airplanes. Maybe 140 MPH cruise speed because it can also hang in there at 45 MPH on the low end. That takes more area, lift, and other stuff that causes more drag.

On top of that, any "bushplane" or "sport utility" airplane for camping and hunting and fishing will need to have enough cargo room for all the junk that goes with those activities. So even a 2 seat RV Sport Utility airplane will be larger and "fatter" than the fairly sleek RV low wingers.

So IMHO what Van would come up with to meet this mission would probably not look much like an RV. Van is plenty smart enough to know this... the mission designs the airplane, and if the mission is different it will look different. Maybe little or no family resemblance to the usual RV.

Form following function, it may look like a metalized Howard DGA with square wing tips. OR it may look like a metal version of the Sherpa. (Better yet it might look like a 2/3 size Pilatus Porter or Helio Courier with a 200HP Lyoming on it... at least a square cantilever wing would give it some family resemblance.)

Mitchell

There's already plenty of slow STOL high wing planes. That's not what I would want a vans high wing to be. Make it 200mph cruise RV14 cabin with and a cantilevered wing for easy egress in and out. If the Vashon Ranger was a kit that cruised at 200mph I'd put money down on it tomorrow.