EA-81 + Weber carb.

Discussion in 'Subaru' started by Jelen, Jan 19, 2016.

1. May 14, 2016 #21

Jelen

Jelen

Jelen

I have many hours on EA-81, also one overhaul and everything is working well. It was working well also with original Hitachi carb., but I decided for Weber, because of better parts availability. And now I'm satisfied. Injection will be better, I know, but I'm not in the USA, but in Europe, so it will be expensive for me. And I don't like many electric features around engine, so carb. is good for me. Power and reliability is sufficient. :)

2. May 14, 2016 #22

fredoyster

fredoyster

fredoyster

I spent some time a few weeks ago with a fellow who built a couple of airplanes with EA81, RAM mods and Parham belt redrive. He tried many different options and settled on that Weber, was very happy with it.

Jelen likes this.
  3. May 14, 2016 #23

DangerZone

DangerZone

DangerZone

Good to hear, a friend told me these engines are reliable IF well maintained. The down sides he mentioned was excessive weight, higher consumption and lower thrust compared to the Rotax (that's the most common engine in homebuilts around).

How much did you pay for the Weber and how much would fuel injection for the EA-81 cost?

4. May 15, 2016 #24

Jelen

Jelen

Jelen

I bought weber kit on e-bay for about 350USD, 50USD cost post to Czech Republic and another 20% cost duty tax. So whole carb stood cca 500 usd.
    I don't think subaru has higher consumption and lower thrust, our Subaru has about 80hp - same as R912, and uses about 9-10 litres per hour, friend's R912 consumption is about 14 l/h, it's bit heavier, than Rotax, but it's also much cheaper. I think 5x cheaper, than R912, and also overhaul is cheaper. Disadvantage is only single ignition, but if it's maintained, it's ok. I also like rotax, but it's too expensive for me, Subaru is the way and I'm happy with it. :)

BTW I have Hutchinson belt drive and it's also O.K. :)

DangerZone and rv6ejguy like this.